Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nah, we'll just cut to the chase and just ask if you might be interested in one of these? 😁

Meet the Owner - Sean Puckle and his Ford Cortina Ghia MK.IV | Lancaster  Insurance

Just for the record. I would definitely accept that as a trade for my 1024x.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mrtcat said:

Just for the record. I would definitely accept that as a trade for my 1024x.

Drop the guy a line. You should tell him that bass playing is a LOT of fun and that you might be prepared to chuck in a couple of pedals with your 1024x?

Meet the Owner - Sean Puckle and his Ford Cortina Ghia MK.IV | Lancaster Insurance

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

When I was a little boy living in a backwater town, my mum upgrading us from a Renault 4 to a Renault 6 was enough to impress me - a Cortina was what our friend's successful Dad had, miles above us. Which tells me to be more than happy with what I've got 🥰

Can't let talk of Cortinas pass without posting this:

Id never heard that, and we had a grey cortina! Well, Silver Fox i think it was called.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Currently on Gumtree for £175

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Don't recognise the model at all - given what looks like a modern finish headstock / neck on a not-current range body. 

Looks like a stock natural satin BB234.

• Like 1

Just now, jrixn1 said:

Looks like a stock natural satin BB234.

Just now, Machines said:

BB234

Cheers gents. How come the bottom end of the range is getting all the best finishes (natural, white, etc?) :) 

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers gents. How come the bottom end of the range is getting all the best finishes (natural, white, etc?) :) 

TBH all the BB finishes are a bit dull. Bring back metallics ! I'd take orange or pewter any day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Machines said:

TBH all the BB finishes are a bit dull. Bring back metallics ! I'd take orange or pewter any day.

Agreed, lovely looking 615 has just appeared on ebay in a great natural finish. Highly conservative colour options on the current range of BBs. 

We must be due a new range of BBs soon? Last ones released in 2017.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334064513759

I’d say…(puts on fender/Gibson hat)

Indonesian reissues of;

BB3000 - with a good neck through, passive 5000 with modern spacing.

BB1600 - a Tony Kanal sig?

BB2000?

BB1200?

Reissue the basses which are the iconic ones - like the BBPH was sort of a 1200s reissue (albeit a bit off).

Dunno. I might be well off.

But a neck through bb at £1000 p/j in some funky colours would be ace.

• Like 1

The BB424's victory over my TRBX604 is complete: Bass Direct have agreed to take the TRBX on as a consignment sale and it's on its way to them.

Despite the fact that I never got a sound I loved out of it, despite the fact that my thumb gets tired gripping the back of its very thin neck, I'm still feeling very bad about waving goodbye to it, and that's because its such good quality, especially for the money, it's completely without faults. Good weight, good balance, keeps in tune, looks beautiful, active electronics work immaculately.

In every respect the 424 feels a more basic object - presumably the fair like for like comparison would be the BB734.

Damn you, picky hands, damn you, picky ears. Grrr.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

In every respect the 424 feels a more basic object - presumably the fair like for like comparison would be the BB734A. BB434 / BB234

Fixed.

The current Series "3" BB734A doesn't really have a direct predecessor in the Series "2" range, it's really a combination of features from the Series 1 BB614 with the Series 2 BB1024.

Personally if I had to chose, I would actually go for a 1024 over the 734A  - or more accurately the 1025 over the 735A.

Edited by Al Krow

41 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Not fixed, but misunderstood - I meant a more fair comparison with the TRBX604FM would be the BB734, they have the same preamp with 3 band active EQ + passive tone, and not dissimilar prices. 

Aha - gotcha! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Fixed.

The current Series "3" BB734A doesn't really have a direct predecessor in the Series "2" range, it's really a combination of features from the Series 1 BB614 with the Series 2 BB1024.

Personally if I had to chose, I would actually go for a 1024 over the 734A  - or more accurately the 1025 over the 735A.

And yet interestingly, for tonal reasons, if I had to choose between the 734A and the BBP34, I'd choose the 734A.

1 minute ago, Dean Vincent said:

And yet interestingly, for tonal reasons, if I had to choose between the 734A and the BBP34, I'd choose the 734A.

I have been very impressed with the sounds I can get out of the 734A. I have also been very surprised how good it sounds in passive mode and I love the fact there is no change in volume when switching between active and passive.