Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, andy67 said:

I’m not on Facebook anymore but there are quite a few members from England on the Attitude page who may be in your vicinity and could possibly assist with this. Be worth a look 👀 

It’d be dangerous, I know @leemarseillebass has 2. And I daren’t go to his gaff and he’s only up the road.

He’s a good looking fella too, so the AT2 might not be the only charm I can’t resist.

• Haha 3

Really enjoying the new BB734A. I love the fact you can run it passive or active (something my BB604 & BB605 can't do). The build quality and attention to detail is superb.

Has anyone used flatwound strings on this bass or a similar model? And would you recommend it? Thanks 👍

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

@Al Krow @lee650 - it’s time…GO!

You're not the first person to say that, Andy. Not sure exactly what it is: perhaps a casual remark about how great compressors are on my part, or the fact that Lee is on the 923rd version of his pedal board and still hasn't quite found what he's looking for... 😄 

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, joostone said:

Check out this one! It''s being sold overhere in the Netherlands...

Yamaha BB5000A 90's Metallic purple

$_86.JPG

It's on reverb too,  speaking of which did anyone spot this sacrilege? 

https://reverb.com/item/40657110-1985-yamaha-japan-bb-5000-5-string-neckthrough-broad-bass-w-emg-s-black?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=40657110

14 hours ago, Folkesy said:

Has anyone used flatwound strings on this bass or a similar model? And would you recommend it? Thanks 👍

I had Dunlop flats on a 735A and La Bella DTF on a 434.  The La Bellas are THE old-school tone, whereas the Dunlops are more versatile, so depends a bit on what repertoire you're playing.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Folkesy said:

Really enjoying the new BB734A. I love the fact you can run it passive or active (something my BB604 & BB605 can't do). The build quality and attention to detail is superb.

Yes I had Chromes on my 735A for a while. Whilst they sounded like normal thumping flats I felt a bit frustrated that I could not get that special BB tone out of them so I went back to nickel rounds. The Chromes are more at home on the P bass! 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ChrisJaxon said:

The Chromes are more at home on the P bass! 

I've got Chromes on my TRBX604 which I think has the same preamp as the BB73xA. 

They sound great with the neck pickup on passive, but when on active, the slightly husky quality of the strings natural sound really fights against the focus that the EQ is trying to give. With more old fashioned flats I imagine the problem would be even worse.

I got them to counteract the TRBX's lightweight sound. Buying a BB solved that problem a different way... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I like how it says in the advert 

"Frets have been sanded to a "fretless wonder" style so it plays with a nice low action."

In other words gubbed! :D

@Ricky Rioli @ChrisJaxon thanks for the reply.

I know what you mean with the BB growl that you get from the nickel rounds. I do like that sound but I find the nickel strings it came with sound a little dull in tone. 

I might have to give some chrome's a try. I have stainless steel rounds on my BB604 and 605 which I love but I do like the idea of a classic sound with the P pickup (this is my only non jazz configuration). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

While the edges of my 424's fretboard aren't rolled, they do have a pair of well judged bevels doing a useful impersonation. Will those have been done in the factory, or is that something that will have been done by the previous owner?

I’d say it is factory setup. Both my BB235 and 735A have bevelled fb edges, both were bought new. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, MattiZ said:

I’d say it is factory setup. Both my BB235 and 735A have bevelled fb edges, both were bought new. 

Yet another demonstration (if we needed one!) that Yamaha don't cut corners with their BBs by the very fact that, as here, they sometimes do! 

Lots of lovely touches on their basses, particularly their more recent and mid range models, eg laminate necks, body-through stringing, spline jointed or even layered wood bodies in the latest series. 

And over-arching it all, that iconic PJ sound. 

Just seen this :

(it may have been posted somewhere already, though)

"An exhibition & auction from Hooky’s personal archive featuring historic equipment, awards, guitars, rare vinyl, test pressings, tapes & CD’s, unique artwork & more.

Peter Hook is to hold his second exhibition / auction, this time of his substantial collection of New Order artefacts & memorabilia in October 2021."

https://www.facebook.com/events/317389130091255/

There might be some BB1200s up or grabs, but definitely some interesting stuff :
https://www.omegaauctions.shop/