Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

The idea of swapping the 1300 for a standard 2024 seems odd to me, however much £££ is added to balance - if you had wanted one of those, wouldnt you have spent your money on one of the ones up for sale?

Also: that racing blue is handsome enough that the 1300 would be pleasing company unplayed, and wouldn't the thought of it being there, ready for you if the PJ-only mentality proves to be less than permanent, also be a pleasure?

Edited by Ricky Rioli

14 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

BB1300 vs 424x at rehearsal tonight…

played 1 hour with 424

played 1 hour with 1300

played 3rd hour with 424x 🧐

And the winner is?

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The idea of swapping the 1300 for a standard 2024 seems odd to me, however much £££ is added to balance - if you had wanted one of those, wouldnt you have spent your money on one of the ones up for sale?

Also: that racing blue is handsome enough that the 1300 would be pleasing company unplayed, and wouldn't the thought of it being there, ready for you if the PJ-only mentality proves to be less than permanent, also be a pleasure?

All true. Hoping I get more time with it through the Vanderklay cab tomorrow or Thursday when it arrives

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm wholly ignorant of what benefits which bridges bring ... in what way/s is that one an improvement on the stock bridge?

So, a bit more mass - seems the harmonics jump out a little more.

Quick release for top loading.

It’s basically the Sadowsky bridge but with sides and string through option…

comfier for palm muting as the saddles house the height adjustment so no Allen bolts to gouge side of hand.

And it’s prettier…

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

Looks great Andy.

Was it a straight retrofit or did you have to drill new holes?  How hard was it to set up post installation in regards to getting saddle positions set correctly for height and intonation?

Two extra (but shallow) holes at the top.

I set the saddle height by feel (gotoh include the Allen key).

Intonation hasn’t been checked with a tuner yet, but is close - put on my guessing hat and it seems close enough for now.

I’m too tired after my few beers and late night with the band…

E412ABEC-955C-47D9-97F1-FE51021992A0.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Just picked up a 425x  after placing a wanted advert. Keeping my 424x company as the 414 and 734a  have been under the bed since lockdown began.

Fell out of love with the BB shape a few months ago but I've been seduced back into the fold 😲.

Bought a Harley Benton 5 string to tip a toe into the 5 string pond. Really liked it so thought I would give the 425x  a shot. So far so good. Not miles better than the Harley Benton and a hell of a lot heavier but with a wide leather strap you don't notice to much and it balances well too. 

Currently wearing old Cobalt Flats which seem to suit the bass. The B string feels pretty tight, possibly better than the Harley Bentons.

Think am going to get on with this but may alternate between this and the Harley Benton, which is wearing DR Hi Beams

20210615_223035.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

So, a bit more mass - seems the harmonics jump out a little more.

Quick release for top loading.

It’s basically the Sadowsky bridge but with sides and string through option…

comfier for palm muting as the saddles house the height adjustment so no Allen bolts to gouge side of hand.

And it’s prettier…

Definitely looks great and sounds like an upgrade all round.

• Like 1

Decided to do a little Google of 1983 BB’s (because it’s a solid birth-year bass), and this wonderful BB3000 popped up, was for sale here for a bit!

31000707-F5A9-4F85-B356-C9C245BE46BC.jpeg.11eb693eb779bbbf5892c105d0c922e8.jpeg

Would like like an ‘83 BB3000 to fill that BB/birth-year hole in my life haha

Si

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Decided to do a little Google of 1983 BB’s (because it’s a solid birth-year bass), and this wonderful BB3000 popped up, was for sale here for a bit!

31000707-F5A9-4F85-B356-C9C245BE46BC.jpeg.11eb693eb779bbbf5892c105d0c922e8.jpeg

Would like like an ‘83 BB3000 to fill that BB/birth-year hole in my life haha

Si

So you're not going to mess around with any of the basic BBs but go straight in at the top? 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So you're not going to mess around with any of the basic BBs but go straight in at the top? 😁

You sound surprised lol
I’ve owned a couple of BB’s before, 614’s and 615’s.

Si

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sibob said:

You sound surprised lol
I’ve owned a couple of BB’s before, 614’s and 615’s.

Si

Aha! No I didn't know that. I thought you were a Lakland and more recently an Elrick man.