Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

13 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

Can I rejoin the BB club please? With this wee number:

BBG4sII in white.

Theres a story to this. My Dad and I visited sound control in glasgow around 96 looking for my first proper bass. I had been playing a cheap p bass copy which was OK but i wanted something a bit special. I picked this out, and my mum and dad got it for my christmas. Regrettably, around 6 years later, i thought it would be cool to put a bass trem on it,  strip the paint, then defret it! I also painted a red stripe on it. I then sold it on ebay. 

Anyways, I've been hunting another one down for years for nostalgia sake, but it seems they mostly came in different colours other than white. This one came up on Facebook marketplace so had to go for it! 

Getting this in my hands make me regret mutilating the original even more! It's actually a very capable bass! feels great to play, and the hardware is solid. Sound-wise lets it down slightly. possibly because I'm used to having a mid EQ, but because it only has bass treble you're kinda limited - but it's easily giggable, which hopefully i will soon!

I love it. brings back some seriously nice memories of jamming to tunes in my bedroom, through my hifi, with my big earphones. I wonder if theres some muscle memory going on which makes this feel better than it actually is, because I played this ALOT! haha

2NT01860.jpg

2NT01862.jpg

2NT01863.jpg

I had one in black which I acquired for very little. Great bass for what I paid...

31 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The 424x sounds superb. I have one with old flatwound Chromes on it and love it. Seems to suit  the music we do down to the ground. 

Recently got 425x. This one has Cobalt flats on it. So far so good with that one.

Might put some new round wounds on BB 414 to get some top  end brightness.

Andy what neck do you prefer out of the 414 and 424.

For me the neck on the 424x is just perfect.

13 minutes ago, mikeycrikey said:

The 424x sounds superb. I have one with old flatwound Chromes on it and love it. Seems to suit  the music we do down to the ground. 

Recently got 425x. This one has Cobalt flats on it. So far so good with that one.

Might put some new round wounds on BB 414 to get some top  end brightness.

Andy what neck do you prefer out of the 414 and 424.

For me the neck on the 424x is just perfect.

Tough call. Widths are like for like, I quite like how the 414 is more like the olderBB1300/1200/300/350’s I’ve owned - a bit flatter.

The 424 is Bob on the same as the 1024 I had but I prefer the raw sound of the 424/414 to the 1024 which was smoother.

Want a red metallic 3000 now…

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Tough call. Widths are like for like, I quite like how the 414 is more like the olderBB1300/1200/300/350’s I’ve owned - a bit flatter.

The 424 is Bob on the same as the 1024 I had but I prefer the raw sound of the 424/414 to the 1024 which was smoother.

Want a red metallic 3000 now…

I find the 414 neck a lot slimmer  than my other BBs . Getting close to Jazz width.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Controversy…I think I prefer the 424x to my other BB’s 🤭

And why is that?
I have a 1025 (I love it) and I was looking to buy a 4 string (for another band I have). Maybe a 1024. But it’s very difficult to find one, specially in my country. 
So, can the 424 be a good alternative? 

7 minutes ago, acroxixo said:

And why is that?
I have a 1025 (I love it) and I was looking to buy a 4 string (for another band I have). Maybe a 1024. But it’s very difficult to find one, specially in my country. 
So, can the 424 be a good alternative? 

Just the bass which sounds most like me.

the 414/424. I preferred the brighter tone of the 414 to the 1024. And I used my 1200’s in passive mode mostly - like a 414/424

I wonder if someone with a 1600 or 3000 would trade for a 1300…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

But if I’m not over the moon, I most likely wouldn’t chase for another…

Have you had it long enough to know you’re not over the moon? Does it do things that are unique and mean it’s a counterpoint to the rest of your herd? 

29 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Have you had it long enough to know you’re not over the moon? Does it do things that are unique and mean it’s a counterpoint to the rest of your herd? 

Will see tonight - the trade ad got removed anyhow because I put a silly price (schoolboy error)

Hopefully, I’ll be over the moon later.

if you have two basses you will have your main bass that sends you to the moon, and the backup 

the paradox of owning more than a few basses - you want all of them to send you to the moon. But you can only play one at a time, so if you pick the best the rest of the basses you have, by definition won't be the best you've got and won't send you to the moon...

Just got some 45-105 GHS Bass Boomers (identical to the Flea signature set) back on my 424, and very happy the bass is to see them again after a month with Swing Bass. I suspect that's partially because the Rotosounds were too responsive to the infelicities of my amateur touch, but in general the tone of the instrument seems a lot more even across the fretboard with the GHSs. In the UK, Bass Boomers are usually alarmingly priced, but Bass Direct have them for a much more reasonable £22+postage. To they're worth it because their straightforward character seems to match the 424 so well.

Whilst sorting the action the tech has left the pickup heights as the previous owner had them, which means with both pickups it sounds fantastic but the neck soloed sounds a bit underwhelming. Bridge soloed with tone turned right down can have its moments too.

After a few days with only the TRBX noodle neck for company, the BBx24 tree trunk seems much more comfortable. Given that my hands are definitely just medium-medium, I don't really understand why I find this to be the case. Best guess: my thumb is more relaxed as it doesn't have to press forward to grip the back of the neck. In Fenderspeak, would the x24 neck be called a U-shape?