Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 31/05/2021 at 21:17, Ricky Rioli said:

I was wondering why the split pickup on my 424 never makes a noise that reminds me of Precision, it seems more straightforwardly bassy. Turns out it's about a quarter of an inch near the neck. I'm going to take that as the explanation. 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20210531-210547_Gallery.jpg

I regularly gigged a sunburst 424 with flats in a rock and roll show, and was very happy. That being said I did sell it to buy a P bass 🙄😂

Just now, Romeo2 said:

I am intrigued by the blue one, I assume there is a separate thread on it with specs, photos and sound samples - Andy, share the link, please.

(If such a thread does not exist, how dare you!)

The spec sheet I have is in Japanese.

And I will do sound samples shortly.

And then a NBD thread I suppose…

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Little bit of fettling today…ignore the table, currently in dispute with manufacturer/retailer over the state of it.

enjoy the basses.

2B54CD33-408D-4723-A7DE-A1A63BC467E5.jpeg

I'm so Yamaha bass curious but the regular BB's don't do much for me ... That blue one however .. I really like that.  Looking forward to the sound samples.

2 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

I'm so Yamaha bass curious but the regular BB's don't do much for me ... That blue one however .. I really like that.  Looking forward to the sound samples.

Just packing the kids bags for a trip to the beach tomorrow, and then I’ll give it a go

4 minutes ago, Machines said:

Ok I'll join the party. Got it Saturday and took it to an audition last night and it was great.

PXL_20210530_173110312.thumb.jpg.4444ff429440a6ad330c56b415da8594.jpg

Congrats! New bass and potentially new band / part! When do you hear back? 

1 hour ago, PatrickJ said:

1 hour ago, Romeo2 said:

I am intrigued by the blue one, I assume there is a separate thread on it with specs, photos and sound samples - Andy, share the link, please.

(If such a thread does not exist, how dare you!)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pDvG2qqj_KVjm1Ef8AcG2W7xmVj9ty4m/view?usp=drivesdk

Right, so the main body of it is 100% on bridge vol/tone, 90% neck full tone. Humbucker mode.

Theres a noodly bit which is just bridge humbucker. Think I added reverb.

Slappy bit - single coils both on full vol/tone.

sorry it’s scrappy - 3 year old playing up so - but yeah, It does a lot and it’s nice, looking forward to band context.

42 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Great looking bass, which model? 

Bbn4 (1) - that bridge is what I have on my bb414, they’re on these and the early attitudes.

the 3+1 headstock caused EB to get hot under the collar and yamaha had to change it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, i was kinda guessing it was the N4 based on the pups, but thanks for confirming Andy. 

It does seem to have a slightly thinner body than the usual suspects, or is that just the camera angle? 

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yup, i was kinda guessing it was the N4 based on the pups, but thanks for confirming Andy. 

It does seem to have a slightly thinner body than the usual suspects, or is that just the camera angle? 

Angle - regular thickness 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Bbn4 (1) - that bridge is what I have on my bb414, they’re on these and the early attitudes.

the 3+1 headstock caused EB to get hot under the collar and yamaha had to change it.

@Al Krow And conveniently there's one on eBay right now https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-bass-guitar-great-quality-excellent-sound-/303955417110?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

2 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

Got all excited then. Collection only London…

then I realised I have to get the purple paint for the 350, and I’ve just bought a £70 Gotoh bridge for the 424x and I need to grow up.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I need to grow up.

Don't go changing...

I love watching how these basses flow through your hands , it's quite hypnotic, like watching a waterfall 🤣

Much more entertaining than anything on the telly at least.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats! New bass and potentially new band / part! When do you hear back? 

They're having 4 auditions so spoilt for choice really. Think my playing was not too bad but I think personality will be more part of it. Mine can be quite acidic 🤣.

2 hours ago, EJWW said:

Looks familiar 😄, hope it went well

Sounded great, stuck it on the neck pickup and just left it at that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Angle - regular thickness 

@Al Krow Andy is obviously right, what is quite special about this cheap BB is it's a smaller body than the more fancy (or later) BB models but more importantly, it just seems perfect: light, super-well balanced and for the money I paid for it on here it's ridiculously good in terms of every note ringing like it was a £1.5k instrument. 

I bought it on here from a chap who in the advert said he bought it on here as well so it's changed hands a couple of times, I think I'm not letting it go. Adding shielding in the cavity would make it tour-ready. Yamaha FTW.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pDvG2qqj_KVjm1Ef8AcG2W7xmVj9ty4m/view?usp=drivesdk

Right, so the main body of it is 100% on bridge vol/tone, 90% neck full tone. Humbucker mode.

Theres a noodly bit which is just bridge humbucker. Think I added reverb.

Slappy bit - single coils both on full vol/tone.

sorry it’s scrappy - 3 year old playing up so - but yeah, It does a lot and it’s nice, looking forward to band context.

killer looks, passive, humbuckers and split coil delight and separate volume/tone controls for each pup - thanks Andy, I will now, like you have, obsess over it and not get any sleep, yeah, cheers ...

• Haha 2