Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

28 minutes ago, andy67 said:

Nah, bought this new when they came out around 13 years ago. 😎

I miss mine…I know it wasn’t right for me, but I loved owning it. It was lovely.

every time I see a red one…I think “ooh mine” and it isn’t.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I miss mine…I know it wasn’t right for me, but I loved owning it. It was lovely.

every time I see a red one…I think “ooh mine” and it isn’t.

That is how I feel about the Yamaha Attitude. The BB714, works very well but I’ve been thinking about changing the pups and getting a custom neck made by Shuker. I would love a maple board on it. 

36 minutes ago, andy67 said:

That is how I feel about the Yamaha Attitude. The BB714, works very well but I’ve been thinking about changing the pups and getting a custom neck made by Shuker. I would love a maple board on it. 

If you do, I’ll have the pickups etc. I want that double humbucker 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

There was a black bb714 for sale a while back that I really should have bought, I can’t remember where it was, I really liked the idea of that neck pickup, I thought it would be ideal for what I play 

The neck pickup is simply two of the Yamaha blade jazz pups added together with “some proprietary wiring under the hood” to quote Billy Sheehan. It may be possible to make one if you could get a couple of them and then check for wiring diagrams. Jon Willis on the Yamaha Attitude FB page is your man for that stuff 👍

Edited by andy67
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Anybody fancy a trek to Norfolk next weekend? Defretted Yamaha BB400s on ebay currently for a low price.

Before anybody comments, I KNOW IT'S AND AUCTION AND THERE ARE DAYS TO RUN!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224480344316?hash=item34441238fc:g:p4UAAOSw1MdgnDK2

Factory fretless that mate. The multiple and badly placed micro switches…not so much.

40 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Anybody fancy a trek to Norfolk next weekend? Defretted Yamaha BB400s on ebay currently for a low price.

Before anybody comments, I KNOW IT'S AND AUCTION AND THERE ARE DAYS TO RUN!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224480344316?hash=item34441238fc:g:p4UAAOSw1MdgnDK2

Shame about that bridge pickup, it looks hideous. Norfolk ' n ' good if you ask me.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I was wondering why the split pickup on my 424 never makes a noise that reminds me of Precision, it seems more straightforwardly bassy. Turns out it's about a quarter of an inch near the neck. I'm going to take that as the explanation. 🤷‍♂️

Screenshot_20210531-210547_Gallery.jpg

My mate swears he prefers the p sound of my orange bb to his 97/98 p.

im inclined to agree, because…orange yamaha.

• Like 1

I'm never going to come to terms with the fact that Yamaha dropped orange for the 424. 

The absence of a Precision-y noise from the neck pickup doesn't bother me, as I bought it for the sound of both pickups together. Perhaps that slight extra bassyness from placing the split a tiny bit closer to the neck was felt to give a better balance when the two are mixed together? At any rate, it does it for me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm never going to come to terms with the fact that Yamaha dropped orange for the 424. 

The absence of a Precision-y noise from the neck pickup doesn't bother me, as I bought it for the sound of both pickups together. Perhaps that slight extra bassyness from placing the split a tiny bit closer to the neck was felt to give a better balance when the two are mixed together? At any rate, it does it for me.

I’m never coming to terms with that. Although I will say, the 414 and 424 are sat with me playing identically…and…yeah, orange 414 will be fine - if you can find one: they tend to be like busses

116B3E78-47D8-42DA-8A30-C00F0309CDE3.jpeg

• Like 2

I have had 3 “X” series basses now and feel the metal knobs on the big plate look silly…

Now, each time I’ve changed them to the traditional “sucked sweetie” knobs seen on BB’s the plastic knobs always seem to sit too high - too far off the plate.

Today when I’d decided the white 424x was staying, I went in my parts draw and retrieved the 2 knobs I’d taken off @lee650’s bb425 (he hates the sucked sweeties…) And pushed them on…

“FFS!” I exclaimed loudly…as ever, they’d sat way too proud - it looked stupid. My OCD wouldn’t let it be.

So I went looking for my “discarded looms and assorted shite box” and found two splendid spacers made for this exact purpose. 

Away we go…

Yes, I know. Sad, isn’t it?

484B7E5D-A306-43D4-88FD-9C69EF71DA2D.jpeg

034DF386-ABC3-440C-99A8-73AFA351C491.jpeg

2BCE8D09-6BFA-4BE9-BB6E-9BD9DAE126F1.jpeg

327BF71C-3CED-47C5-889A-3BC891170045.jpeg

• Like 1

Wow you 8 or so PH owners on this thread, you're going to LOVE this bit of news!

4 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

I guess it depends on what you are selling/buying. For example, a Yamaha Peter Hook Signature Bass that cost around £1k new just sold on ebay for more than double. BTW, it is a "standard" one, i.e. not one of the hand signed ones that PMT sold.  

1989864154_PeterHoolEbay.thumb.jpg.92249d53955cfb7bb27a138cfa8a1fa1.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I was discussing the BBPH (Signed) that @marleaux62 has and might sell…

There you go mate - EBAY!

Yeah 31 bids - so I'm guessing that there must be a few disappointed purchasers who didn't win that auction and a couple who would have just been just pipped at the post i.e. willing to pay close to £2k.

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I have had 3 “X” series basses now and feel the metal knobs on the big plate look silly…

Now, each time I’ve changed them to the traditional “sucked sweetie” knobs seen on BB’s the plastic knobs always seem to sit too high - too far off the plate.

Today when I’d decided the white 424x was staying, I went in my parts draw and retrieved the 2 knobs I’d taken off @lee650’s bb425 (he hates the sucked sweeties…) And pushed them on…

“FFS!” I exclaimed loudly…as ever, they’d sat way too proud - it looked stupid. My OCD wouldn’t let it be.

So I went looking for my “discarded looms and assorted shite box” and found two splendid spacers made for this exact purpose. 

Away we go…

Yes, I know. Sad, isn’t it?

484B7E5D-A306-43D4-88FD-9C69EF71DA2D.jpeg

034DF386-ABC3-440C-99A8-73AFA351C491.jpeg

2BCE8D09-6BFA-4BE9-BB6E-9BD9DAE126F1.jpeg

327BF71C-3CED-47C5-889A-3BC891170045.jpeg

The post where Andy discovers washers

• Haha 1