Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 23/05/2021 at 12:26, Ricky Rioli said:

Since my G&L has gone seriously AWOL on its journey from the US, I'm letting myself daydream about what I would fritter the money on if it never reappeared.

So ... a white 1024, obviously ... and then a MIJ 300 in nice nick as well ... 43mm nut, no bridge pickup, reverse split pickup, metallic red - four solid differences to justify having both, yes? Mmm, yes.

A more sensible daydream would be a used BBP34, but what's the point of daydreaming if you're just going to be sensible?

But what I want to know is why a P34 is a more sensible daydream than a 1024?! 

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

But what I want to know is why a P34 is a more sensible daydream than a 1024?! 

For me the P34 is simply a sensible bass. Sensible colour choices (all 2 of them). Bit too sensible for me. 

• Like 1

I've just been watching multiple crummy videos of BB300 and BB-VI.

I concluded that they make a loose, throaty tone relative to the more tightly focussed purr of, say, the 2024 on neck only.

And then I looked at my words and remembered the adage about writing about music being like dancing about architecture. 

At any rate, the VI sounds like it would be an upgrade on whatever kind of P bass you could get for £600.

But if I had a P shaped bass, all I would want to do with it would be give it a Di Marzio, and pretend it was an Ibanez Blazer. And that doesn't need £600.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, krispn said:

Is that a good price or a bit high? Generally speaking

Certainly is a good price 👍 £1125 for a signature series top end Yamaha bass is very cool. It’s the Michael Anthony signature with the chilli inlays. 

Edited by andy67

Yeah I’m familiar with the model - it’s just caught my eye, love the colour, the inlays are funny but not off putting. My limited  GCSE French suggests he’s up for a change and open to trades with the figure listed as his starting point. I’ve no need for another bass but you know when you get a wee notion and start thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yeah I’m familiar with the model - it’s just caught my eye, love the colour, the inlays are funny but not off putting. My limited  GCSE French suggests he’s up for a change and open to trades with the figure listed as his starting point. I’ve no need for another bass but you know when you get a wee notion and start thinking. 

Yes very much 😂

Don't forget the annoying 20% VAT on imports of used as well as new goods.

@Steve Browning (aka BC's VAT guru) - I'm guessing that even if they met up on a cross channel ferry and simply traded the basses mid-channel for something of equal value and never set foot on each other's national turf then both bass players would each still be treated as importing a bass with 2 x 20% of the value being due to each countries tax authorities as VAT? Whether, in practice, this would ever get picked up without a voluntary disclosure I guess is an entirely separate matter!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yeah that’s been in the back of my mind. I’d just get my mate in Paris to arrange the deal and he’d stick it in his boot when he’s next over so I guess that’s s be ok?

As long as he pays 20% Vat when he brings it over he would be fine!