Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

@acroxixo sounds great! Feel free to share any YT clips of you playing the bass / rig in action with either (or both!) of your bands. 

Of course, I'm pretty much the last person on BC who is going to contradict you about just how good a BB1025 is! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Right now I would like either a metallic orange or a vintage white.... but that might change 😄 

You have to consider what goes with the red inlays. Orange will clash.

metallic silver?

Quick update, it’s now got Labella LTFs on and I’ve set the action up, I didn’t have to touch the neck, it was dead straight, I just lowered the saddles it’s at 1.5mm at the 12th unfretted with no buzz, it sounds and feels so much better, with both pickups on or just the P , and tone at about 40% it really sounds good and perfect for reggae 

6C07E046-6632-43D1-8323-418DB8FAA598.jpeg

• Like 7

7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

You have to consider what goes with the red inlays. Orange will clash.

metallic silver?

Silver... I'n in the wrong bands for a silver bass 🙂 

My last idea was a BB434m in orange metallic... mathing headstock..musst be stunning with the maple neck! 

2 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Quick update, it’s now got Labella LTFs on and I’ve set the action up, I didn’t have to touch the neck, it was dead straight, I just lowered the saddles it’s at 1.5mm at the 12th unfretted with no buzz, it sounds and feels so much better, with both pickups on or just the P , and tone at about 40% it really sounds good and perfect for reggae 

6C07E046-6632-43D1-8323-418DB8FAA598.jpeg

How are you finding the 1024 compared to your previous 414? Is this one more "you"?

You and @gobasserk have definitely started a trend for BB's on wood! Does look great!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

How are you finding the 1024 compared to your previous 414? Is this one more "you"

Hi Al, I was going to ask, I liked the 414 and I wouldn’t have got rid of it if it didn’t have a problem with the neck, the 1024 seems much better made , does it have different pickups or electrics, because unless it’s my imagination it sounds more refined and clearer and more output 

26 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Hi Al, I was going to ask, I liked the 414 and I wouldn’t have got rid of it if it didn’t have a problem with the neck, the 1024 seems much better made , does it have different pickups or electrics, because unless it’s my imagination it sounds more refined and clearer and more output 

Hi Rb - that's pretty much exactly it!

My post below from a couple of weeks back, ties in exactly with what you're hearing. The 425/424 are a slightly updated version of 415/414 model that you had, with laminated rather than single piece necks. The 1025/1024 then adds more refined pups and bridge and I think the body construction on the 1025/4 is 3 piece construction vs 1 piece (I believe) on the 425/424 and predecessor 415/4.

As I mentioned in my post below, I think the bulk of the tonal difference is down to the more refined pups. I didn't find that the 1025 had higher output than my 425 - the pups were pretty hot on that. Dunno if that could be down the relative pup heights of the two basses you've had?

But all in all, sounds like you've hit the jackpot with your 1024.

On 24/04/2021 at 10:55, Al Krow said:

Taking the 5 string versions for comparison as they're the ones I've had: the 425 gives a tonally "flatter" thud, with SERIOUS punch; the 1025 is more complex harmonically /more refined. I'd say 80% of that is down to the different pups used. For me, there's pretty little difference between the 1025 and the current flagship P35 model - and that's pretty high praise.

So what you were hearing on the YT clips seems to be pretty much what I'm reporting with regard to tonal complexity - a bit like a fine red wine!

What was the issue with the 414 neck you had?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What was the issue with the 414 neck you had

The truss rod didn’t work properly, I play with a really low action and I couldn’t get it low enough for me, apart from that, nothing else. Thanks for that information Al,   one thing I do like about these models is the pickup switch , it’s so convenient to just flick it to change the tone 

17 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve just messaged a Yamaha spares supplier to see if the bb1024 pickups are still available.

They're not cheap Andy.

I priced them up years ago, if I remember right it wasn't much change from two hundred quid for both.

Still have Yamaha UK's number in my phone if you want it.

3 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

They're not cheap Andy.

I priced them up years ago, if I remember right it wasn't much change from two hundred quid for both.

Still have Yamaha UK's number in my phone if you want it.

Well...we’ll see, I’ve messaged Sontec who were the spares company Yamaha directed me to when I was looking for a pickguard.

I reckon it will be a “no” - last time I messaged them, there were still new 1024/2024’s in shops.

So it’s a good few years ago.

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Well...we’ll see, I’ve messaged Sontec who were the spares company Yamaha directed me to when I was looking for a pickguard.

I reckon it will be a “no” - last time I messaged them, there were still new 1024/2024’s in shops.

So it’s a good few years ago.

Replied in pm mate.

• Thanks 1