Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Now know what the mystery strings that came with my 424 and suited it so well were: 45-105 GHS Boomers. Bit pricey in this country, unfortunately :( 

Anyway, now have Rotosound Swing Bass on it, and am equally happy with them, albeit in a slightly different way.

35 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Now know what the mystery strings that came with my 424 and suited it so well were: 45-105 GHS Boomers. Bit pricey in this country, unfortunately :( 

Anyway, now have Rotosound Swing Bass on it, and am equally happy with them, albeit in a slightly different way.

@walshy had about 5 sets of boomers for sale mate

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Cheers, I just took a look. £25 a set, that's a lot less than StringsDirect's £33.... But I think I'll get on with getting used to the Rotosounds at £18 a time. 

If I used 45’s I’d be all over those 

Trying to read up on the specific qualities of different strings is like juggling 🤹‍♀️ wet 🧼 bars 🧼 of 🧼 soap, but  I've got the impression that within the world of nickel coated steel those GHS Boomers are similar to Roto Bass or Elites Players.

I'm enjoying these pure steel Swing Bass, but once my G&L strung with them finally makes it through the postal system, I might go back to the Boomers or something similar on the BB - they just seemed so well matched to the character of the 424 when set to both pickups: the result was a nicely obvious rich tone, straightforwardly pleasing. Not harsh or crude, but not built for subtlety.

By the way...because I want something easy to carry for rehearsals and live ( my bas player back....) I am thinking of getting one of this, maybe even two to have a nice light 800watts 2x15 rig...  I love a GOOD 15" speaker! 

The Glockenklang cabs are expensive but their neo speakers don't sound like neos! The speakers are built especially (and only) for Glockenklang

Glockenklang 1x15 Art line

Edited by gobasserk

I want a GOOD cab 😉   Just take a look at the frequency range ...🙉
The Glockenklang does 36-18500 and is 400 watts. Soundwise this is like the comparison between an old Fiesta with broken exhaust and a new Mercedes. I played this 15"...it is really a stand alone cab without the caracteristics of an oldschool 15! 
Like the Mesa Boogie Power House 15" is.  But this is close to 40 kg

At least the soundfiles are international... 🙂 

Test Glockenklang

Edited by gobasserk

1 hour ago, gobasserk said:

By the way...because I want something easy to carry for rehearsals and live ( my bas player back....) I am thinking of getting one of this, maybe even two to have a nice light 800watts 2x15 rig...  I love a GOOD 15" speaker! 

The Glockenklang cabs are expensive but their neo speakers don't sound like neos! The speakers are built especially (and only) for Glockenklang

Glockenklang 1x15 Art line

I had a Glock set up for a while - can't remember which model cab though - may have been the 2x12.

I was very impressed with the build quality and the tonal properties. I had the Soul head and coupled they sounded great. Shouldn't have sold them to be honest - that eternal search for that perfect sound.

I don't think that Glock get the recognition they deserve TBH - IMO it's up there with the best.

1 hour ago, Horizontalste said:

Bet that sounds f'kin awesome!

+1^^

And a top notch Berg amp (yes it's D class and I know we were debating those a few pages back - but it gets my vote!) head to top it off. (I think there's one in the FS right now). 

@acroxixo is there a full rock band you're in, that your rig gets played with? 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

+1^^

And a top notch Berg amp (yes it's D class and I know we were debating those a few pages back - but it gets my vote!) head to top it off. (I think there's one in the FS right now). 

@acroxixo is there a full rock band you're in, that your rig gets played with? 

I play in 2 bands. Very different styles. 
One punk/hardcore band (3 px). 
The other is a blues/folk/rock/burlesque band (4 px). 
This rig does everything. I do have some pedals too. 
The BB1025 it’s fantastic. My StingRay5 stays at home now.