Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hmmm...maybe. But I think owners of the Berg B|Amp would differ with that conclusion! 

Of course they do. Doesn't matter to me 🙂  I went to the "Musicstore" in Cologne willing to buy the (for me) best sounding amp three years ago. Not a joke ! I ended up with an Hartke LH1000. The Hartke stuff is in the same test room as the Glockenklang ... That nice, warm and NATURAL bass growl.... was only to be heard in analog. 

Just now, gobasserk said:

The green BB's are rare. The 3000ma even more.  Black ones are on ebay from time to time. 

Yeah I’d imagine it was a short run. The bass did sound good on its own and while the geddy peda was adding something (as I alluded to earlier today) you can hear the inherent sound of you listen to the clean then ‘dirty’ version. It’s got more oomph than my jazz but I find a 350hz bump fills it out nicely. The MA does have the p character come across loud and clear much like you say a JJ won’t sound quite the same. 

Just now, gobasserk said:

Of course they do. Doesn't matter to me 🙂  I went to the "Musicstore" in Cologne willing to buy the (for me) best sounding amp three years ago. Not a joke ! I ended up with an Hartke LH1000. The Hartke stuff is in the same test room as the Glockenklang ... That nice, warm and NATURAL bass growl.... was only to be heard in analog. 

Hard to beat the passive tone stack and good old transformer 

• Like 1

Same with neo speakers... and it is funny that they tell you that with the neo cabs you'd get exactly out of it what you put in... but played over a digital amp it is not the instrument ..it is an analog signal transfered into digital and put together again. And it does sound different. this is not denied by anyone... 😉 

22 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Well my own experience ties in with yours: my Mesa M6 is in a class up from any of the D class heads I've had or tried. However a mate of mine owns and gigged both an M6 and a Berg B|Amp and he rates the B|Amp just as highly. That's a pretty good A/B comparison. I've heard clips of him playing his Berg rig with his band and he sounds great! 

30 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Gregor from Basstheworld would seem to agree, the last review of the cheap HarleyBenton amp he made that exact point

• Like 1

There was a music shop nearby that had to close down last month. I was able to buy a new Markbass 210 Combo for 400 Euros. I loved the weight! Testest it with my Yamis... Disliked the sound, disconnectet the amp and played the cab with an Ashdown ABM600 and a Hartke and an old Warwick Profet 5.2. The difference was significant. The cab sounded better with all the not Markbass amps. Let's put it this way... I know how my basses sound because I am playing for example the 1000's for the last 20 years. Any digital amp sounds not like anaolog in an basicaly way. And I am not ok with the way digital amps change the sound of a bass in such a dramatic way. Others may be ok with that new sound, I want it like it always was 🙂 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

Gregor from Basstheworld would seem to agree, the last review of the cheap HarleyBenton amp he made that exact point

Well, I like his reviews (his pronunciation is weird ..) and I had to check what you ment...Found it... That's absolutely my opinion 😎😂
Go to 4:08 min

basstheworld

Edited by gobasserk

58 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Same with neo speakers... and it is funny that they tell you that with the neo cabs you'd get exactly out of it what you put in... but played over a digital amp it is not the instrument ..it is an analog signal transfered into digital and put together again. And it does sound different. this is not denied by anyone... 😉 

the venue's PA team is more than ok with you lugging in your old amp and 8*10... before taking the DI from your bass, sending to the digital desk through CAT5 cables and then sending it to a rack of class D amps powering Neo loaded arrays/self powered Neo loaded arrays.... 

Edited by LukeFRC
And to keep it OT some of the Neo loaded class D speakers will be made by Yamaha... ?
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, linear said:

Class BB

Very good! 

The odd digression, with the odd oblique reference to a BB (like how does a Yamaha BB bass sound like with a D class or class A/B amp when played through a YYZ pedal?), after 6,000 posts is a good thing to keep us all entertained. 

After all, how many times can we remind each other that a 1024 is more refined than a 424? And those of us who prefer a fine red to more plentiful plonk will prefer one over the other 😁

1 hour ago, gobasserk said:

LH1000 is a fantastic amp - I do sort of miss mine, but have found something which suits me even more - and it’s good old analogue

4 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Al, even the google translator can't tell me, what you mean with the last sentence but it sounds good  😛   

At the end of the day, if it sounds good that's all that matters! 😊👍

47 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And those of us who prefer a fine red to more plentiful plonk will prefer one over the other 😁

24 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Al, even the google translator can't tell me, what you mean with the last sentence but it sounds good  😛   

A wine reference...

4 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Thanks, sometimes not beeing a native speaker in an English forum does suck 🙈☠️

You play "native" Yamaha BB bass and do great recordings just on your phone, which more than makes up for it!

There is no more universal language, we can share, than music! 

• Like 1

@gobasserk, You're doing OK.

When I was travelling I noticed that, no matter where in the world I was, most people could swear fluently in English...

@Al Krow, I was watching some daytime telly a few years back with some English children (toddlers) playing with some Vietnamese children of the same age. All were getting on fantastically, laughing and playing.

At the end, the interviewer asked one of the English children how she got on with the Vietnamese children when they didn't speak English to which she replied "...but she laughs in English".

From the mouths of babes....

• Like 2