Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

erm what are you trying to work out?
We've been using 4 a side headstocks since the early 50's - it's hardly new unproven tech 

I'm just responding to krispns query earlier and also trying to get my head around the issue of string forces (which I have now done to my own satisfaction anyway!)

With regard to 4 a side headstocks, maybe we're at cross purposes here? The tuner positioning certainly isn't to one side with the traditional headstock, but actually pretty evenly spaced across the width of the head.

File:Fender 1951 Precision Bass Headstock.jpg

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

Just under £100 with 5 hours to go. 

I bid £95 - now out...

I have seen you mentioning it. Doesn't seem that much of a deal as it needs a neck replacement or a lot of work. Almost picked up a 425 from the guitar auction the other day at £150, which I see that the gallery have for over £400

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have seen you mentioning it. Doesn't seem that much of a deal as it needs a neck replacement or a lot of work. Almost picked up a 425 from the guitar auction the other day at £150, which I see that the gallery have for over £400

You about to come over to the light side and get a Yammy, Woody?! Wasn't expecting that!

Tbf a £150 BB425 in good nick would be an absolute steal. But also an excellent bass, not just "for the money!"

52 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

You about to come over to the light side and get a Yammy, Woody?! Wasn't expecting that!

I looked into it - string spacing was too wide for me and I hate the stripe thing on the headstock.

Certainly nothing against yamaha (I have one of their pianos to my left and one of their flutes to my right), but none of them really grabbed me. Would certainly not turn down one like your white one, but somehow don't see me paying that kind of money!

Not really planning anything currently at the moment, but you know, things come along from time to time.

24 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I looked into it - string spacing was too wide for me and I hate the stripe thing on the headstock.

Certainly nothing against yamaha (I have one of their pianos to my left and one of their flutes to my right), but none of them really grabbed me. Would certainly not turn down one like your white one, but somehow don't see me paying that kind of money!

Not really planning anything currently at the moment, but you know, things come along from time to time.

My white BB425 got moved on a while back (not sure which BC'er has it now!) and the current white model I have is the mid range BB1025, which is a bit more expensive than the 425, but still great value.

The spacing is usually 18mm on Yammy 5ers - is that too wide for you? If so, I guess you're going to be limited to basses like your existing Ibby SRs with their 16.5mm or Spectors with their 17.0mm - albeit with a 35" scale that took a little getting used to initially for me, having been a purely 34" scale player beforehand.

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

My white BB425 got moved on a while back (not sure which BC'er has it now!) and the current white model I have is the mid range BB1025, which is a bit more expensive than the 425, but still great value.

I meant the NE2. Thats nice.

The spacing is usually 18mm on Yammy 5ers - is that too wide for you?

Yep, too much. The Ibanez EHB has 18 by default, but you can wind it in to 17.5 which is the high side of comfortable. Beyond that, however much I like it when i get it I end up not playing it.

If so, I guess you're going to be limited to basses like your existing Ibby SRs with their 16.5mm or Spectors with their 17.0mm - albeit with a 35" scale that took a little getting used to initially for me, having been a purely 34" scale player beforehand.

I am going the other way now, I suspect my next bass will be the EHB1005sms, which is 30-32"

23 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am going the other way now, I suspect my next bass will be the EHB1005sms, which is 30-32"

Yeah I've noticed an increased prevalence of short scales with us aging BC'ers!

But Hooke's law dictates (or, if not that, whatever the relevant physics is!) that we are likely to get a muddier E and certainly low B string with shorter scales, although maybe 32" is still ok for a low B? Be really interesting to see how you find it on that score.

6,000 posts? How did that happen? 🥂 😊

Edited by Al Krow

Five weeks ago, thinking, very misguidedly, that my SB-1 would be arriving soon, I put my TRBX away, and have played only my 424 since. Today, noticing that the SB-1 is clearly having a good old kip somewhere in the international postal system, I got the TRBX out. Five minutes later it was packaged up again. I 🖤 you, BB, even with your totally shot RS66s. Mwah mwah mwah 🥰

3 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Got first pics of the new cad finish .... can't wait. The last gloss ist missing yet... It will even get the original Yamaha logo again. 

I wonder how close to Lava Red I could get on the 350f, just like the bb714bs I had...

Sort of “very metallic” rather than Flake.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah I've noticed an increased prevalence of short scales with us aging BC'ers!

But Hooke's law dictates (or, if not that, whatever the relevant physics is!) that we are likely to get a muddier E and certainly low B string with shorter scales, although maybe 32" is still ok for a low B? Be really interesting to see how you find it on that score.

Sure it would be fine, I have had two 30" 5 string basses now and didn't have a problem with the B. I mean, how did basses ever get on when they went to the the short scale 34" from the 43" E string on a double bass?

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

6,000 posts? How did that happen? 🥂 😊

whos 6000 posts? both of us are past that

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Did you get that orange one I sent you the link to?

No, I didn’t. It was in Northern Ireland. Hoping one will come up a bit closer to home