Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Thought I’d found the deal of a lifetime.

in 2009 there was a small run of bb3000 reissues for the Japan market.

Saw one for sale, contacted the guy.

”it’s not mine, it’s a link of a local site in the Netherlands...”

Collect only.

Would’ve worked out at £740, could have shoved that on the credit card under the radar...

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

I had entered a bid I was comfortable with and was having that inner struggle whether to hit confirm. A mix of 'I don't need it', 'I've ordered a Jack Casady' and 'I think Reggaebass is after this' stopped me. 

Someone's got a bargain. 

I didn’t know it was your bid Maude 

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m supposed to be picking up another jazz the weekend but the seller is not very responsive, so I put a bid in at £304 on the 1024 a day or so ago, but I didn’t expect to win it at that 

Well I'll happily take it off you if you don't have the space 😅

Edited by BassApprentice
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I didn’t know it was your bid Maude 

No I hadn't actually bid. 

I meant I was about to press the 'confirm bid' button but I couldn't justify it. Glad I didn't now as I would've outbid you. 

Glad you've grabbed a bargain. 🙂👍

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m supposed to be picking up another jazz the weekend but the seller is not very responsive, so I put a bid in at £304 on the 1024 a day or so ago, but I didn’t expect to win it at that 

Brilliant result - congrats!! 

You can finally get that white BB1024 itch, scratched. I'm looking forward to finding out how it stacks up against the rest of your not too shabby herd! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

I meant I was about to press the 'confirm bid' button but I couldn't justify it. Glad I didn't now as I would've outbid you. 

Thanks Maude, I feel a bit better now ,as I wouldn’t have bid knowing that you wanted it 👍

Edited by Reggaebass
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Thought I’d found the deal of a lifetime.

in 2009 there was a small run of bb3000 reissues for the Japan market.

Saw one for sale, contacted the guy.

”it’s not mine, it’s a link of a local site in the Netherlands...”

Collect only.

Would’ve worked out at £740, could have shoved that on the credit card under the radar...

@HazBeen might himself, or one of his contacts, be able to pick it up for you - and he's over in the UK pretty regularly. We could do a bass relay! Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Brilliant result - congrats!! 

You can finally get that white BB1024 itch, scratched. I'm looking forward to finding out how it stacks up against the rest of your not too shabby herd! 

I really liked my 414 , it played and sounded great, but as you probably remember Al it had a problem with the neck , so I sold it to someone who was going to work on it, I’m hoping this one is Ok 🙂

9 minutes ago, Maude said:

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Thanks Maude, I feel a bit better now ,as I wouldn’t have bid knowing that you wanted it 👍

Awww...you lot.

ALL lack killer instinct. You'd make really shit Premier League footballers 😂😂

• Haha 2

I'm perfectly content with my 424, but the knowledge that for just £5 more I could have had a 1024 is making me daydream a bit.

I know that they make pretty similar sounds, but what would be the biggest tonal difference between the two?

From the YouTube demos I've heard, the biggest difference is in the quality of the neck pickups soloed. I get the impression that the 1024's is the same style as the 424's but with a bit more liveliness and complexity. (On my 424 I find that I need both pickups together to make a satisfyingly complete sound.)

32 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm perfectly content with my 424, but the knowledge that for just £5 more I could have had a 1024 is making me daydream a bit.

I know that they make pretty similar sounds, but what would be the biggest tonal difference between the two?

From the YouTube demos I've heard, the biggest difference is in the quality of the neck pickups soloed. I get the impression that the 1024's is the same style as the 424's but with a bit more liveliness and complexity. (On my 424 I find that I need both pickups together to make a satisfyingly complete sound.)

I think £5 difference is a lucky confluence of the stars and may not happen again until Halley's comet next appears.

Taking the 5 string versions for comparison as they're the ones I've had: the 425 gives a tonally "flatter" thud, with SERIOUS punch; the 1025 is more complex harmonically /more refined. I'd say 80% of that is down to the different pups used. For me, there's pretty little difference between the 1025 and the current flagship P35 model - and that's pretty high praise.

So what you were hearing on the YT clips seems to be pretty much what I'm reporting with regard to tonal complexity - a bit like a fine red wine!

Edited by Al Krow

There’s a nice bb300 in black on Facebook currently.

Bit rich at £300 but to be fair it’s in good nick and worth every penny. 

Early Taiwanese I think due to shape - seller says 81 (I’d guessed 84/5)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/184621401586617/permalink/3885984948116892/

8F266DAD-AE62-4965-AC79-F953F1C36B3B.png

Edited by AndyTravis

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

It is nice but i think 300 is way too high particularly considering the used prices of 414, 424 and 1024s. But if someone has to have it then that's fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, EJWW said:

It is nice but i think 300 is way too high particularly considering the used prices of 414, 424 and 1024s. But if someone has to have it then that's fair enough. 

They’re a different breed the older BB’s, £250 would be my limit really for a bb300

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

It is not early Taiwanese. Mine was an ’83 and it had the volume knob closer to strings, just like the Japanese BB300 models did. 

1 hour ago, Dean Vincent said:

I'm with you on that. To me the 424 sounds like a bass should sound. You can keep your 'refinement'! 😂

Now you've got me totally intrigued as to what the rest of your 'unrefined' signal chain (amp, cab & fx) is! 😁

PS you're certainly not alone on this thread of folk who prefer a 424 over the 1024, btw! 

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Dean Vincent said:

Oh, y'know, a bit of Fender here, a bit of Laney there.....and nothing surpasses the Rat! 😆

Cool. Be good to see some more Laney love out there - been tempted to get one of their SL heads which look pretty feature loaded, but the lack of bridging means that this '1000W' amp actually only delivers 250W through a single 8 ohm cab, which is a shame. You got a Laney valve head per chance?

I'm currently getting much of my dirt out of a tin can (Zoom B1-4) which includes a half decent Rat sim! Doesn't get much less refined than that 😁