Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

My BB605, born 2002, to which I fitted Delano pickups, Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with active/passive and mid-shift, Dunlop flushmount straplocks and TI Jazz flats. I have been able to get the action incredibly low (3/64" on G string, 24th fret) and it plays and sounds incredible.

bb605 - 2.jpg

bb605 - 1.jpg

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Marty Forrer said:

My BB605, born 2002, to which I fitted Delano pickups, Aguilar OBP-3 preamp with active/passive and mid-shift, Dunlop flushmount straplocks and TI Jazz flats. I have been able to get the action incredibly low (3/64" on G string, 24th fret) and it plays and sounds incredible.

bb605 - 2.jpg

bb605 - 1.jpg

How are those pickups? I am looking for more of a Humbuckers in a single coil size for my BB605 too and I thought about the Delano with big poles. But I'm also curious about these ones.  

"Unfortunately, the truss rod nut has failed out of warranty, having either come unthreaded or broken, and just spins freely in its collar. The hex socket isn’t stripped and the nut is captive, so can’t be repaired or replaced by itself. Yamaha say they don’t supply replacement necks and that to replace the truss rod will need the fingerboard to be removed, a job that’s beyond my skill level and my pocket. Although technically “playable”, the neck relief can’t be altered as the rod cannot be tensioned"

:(

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

"Unfortunately, the truss rod nut has failed out of warranty, having either come unthreaded or broken, and just spins freely in its collar. The hex socket isn’t stripped and the nut is captive, so can’t be repaired or replaced by itself. Yamaha say they don’t supply replacement necks and that to replace the truss rod will need the fingerboard to be removed, a job that’s beyond my skill level and my pocket. Although technically “playable”, the neck relief can’t be altered as the rod cannot be tensioned"

:(

It’s begging for @Andyjr1515 to replace the truss Rod and shove a maple board on...

If it was a 4. That’s what I’d do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

How are those pickups? I am looking for more of a Humbuckers in a single coil size for my BB605 too and I thought about the Delano with big poles. But I'm also curious about these ones.  

These are probably closer to a Jazz bass than humbuckers, but they are dead quiet.

• Thanks 1

On 18/04/2021 at 10:41, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm holding that photo up to my sunburst 424 and asking it, wouldn't you much rather look like that?!

I've got a Vintage White BB425 and a Tobacco Burst BB425X and the burst one is my favourite finish 

6B63F2C7-9A1F-42AA-BF00-ACAEAF7EB4DC.thumb.jpeg.4234482a2ea352d66bdf80a07532ce07.jpeg

D92AA364-95A1-47B8-9534-563B26F73A50.thumb.jpeg.94a607c32bab2ee992ce1e519e332688.jpeg

Edited by MoJo

23 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah I’ve been watching that one, thanks Al , what would you say would be a reasonable price 👍

If it's mint, I'd agree with Andy, worth going up to £500, given it's your first choice colour. 

• Like 1