Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

With headstock and quote

5231371_orig.jpg

From a 1988 interview:

"The Fender Precision is my instrument, my beloved Precisions. I've tried lots of different guitars, including some Lados, and they felt great and were really well made, but the sound just seemed to lack richness in the bottom end."

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

This headstock and quote

5231371_orig.jpg

From a 1988 interview:

"The Fender Precision is my instrument, my beloved Precisions. I've tried lots of different guitars, including some Lados, and they felt great and were really well made, but the sound just seemed to lack richness in the bottom end."

Oooh magic. 

Imagine a BB-SH.

Clank Clank Clank...with a West Ham Logo 😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Oooh magic. 

Imagine a BB-SH.

Clank Clank Clank...with a West Ham Logo 😂

Has anyone put a set of 50-110 Rotosound flats on a BB1100S? 

Given that his Precision is 11½ lbs of maple, his idea of comfortable might not be entirely in tune with, say, mine 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Given that his Precision is 11½ lbs of maple, his idea of comfortable might not be entirely in tune with, say, mine 😬

The blue sparkle one was always on my shopping list, when I worked in a shop - the lightest one we had In was 10.5lbs hahaha

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I did many years ago, and given that I had that bass & string set up from 87 to 91 I suppose I must have liked it.

• Like 1

Photos of the BB350 MoJo linked to on the previous page.

It's full of dings & dents & it was so dirty it could have classified as a bio hazard (especially the frets & fretboard) but I've begun putting it right.

Somehow the truss rod had come out of alignment with the nut being right up against the fretboard side of the hole. This pretty much rendered it useless so to remedy it I just took the nut off & added a washer to keep it central & the result is a nice straight neck & decent enough action.

One of the tuners is a bit clunky & the pots need cleaning but I'll get to that tomorrow.

Cheers to MoJo for the link!

IMG_20210417_135626.jpg

IMG_20210417_135445.jpg

IMG_20210417_135428.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

@Horizontalste I love that 😉

Me too Andy, I'm still astounded at the quality of Yamaha's 'budget' basses.

I was considering refinishing it but I'm actually liking the honesty of the battle scars. I will completely re-do the neck at some point though. The fretboard could do with sanding down a bit & the frets are a bit flat for my liking but all in all its ninety quid well spent!

• Like 2

I've been playing the BBG5s for about half an hour - don't know why but I'd forgotten how good the tonal package was on these mid range Yamahas. Lovely phat tones with that mid 80s Cappuccino feel - lovely. 

I'll be changing the strings to a lighter gauge in the next few days - maybe see if I can find a set of tapewounds in my desired range.

Free set of strings anybody?

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1