Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

A question to you BB aficionados:

I currently have a 1025x that I really like the sound of, its fat and punchy in all PU positions and it plays great. 

However, its a tad heavy and I never use the B string.

Now a P34 has come up for sale within reach, which seems to fit the bill. BB, lighter, 4 strings, and it's a BB 🙂

Before I throw all my savings after this, I wanted to know if anyone of you have directly compared the sound of a 1024/25 (or 2024/25) with a P34/35? The neck pickup i'm not too worried about, but the bridge PU I'm curious to know how they compare.

My 1025 has a very usable and full sounding bridge PU, that I would hate to be without on the P.

Yup - had a P35 and still have a 1025. The P35 edged it (just) over the 1025 tonally and was a lovely bass to play. But my 1025 was 1lb lighter and that won the day for me. 

The bridge pup on the 1025 is a little grittier than the P35's, which was a little "sweeter", and I do like using the solo'd bridge pup on the 1025 for B-string-heavy low end material as it cuts through well. 

I think if I had had the benefit of the wide Minotaur strap I'm now using, I might have held onto the P35. But no regrets at all about still having my 1025, which I have also preferred to and has seen off both the BB735A and a Sire P7 Mk2, which are both very decent basses. 

• Like 1

@RigorMortens I've just been asked to re-write my post above by a mate, who is desperately keen to take your 1025x off your hands...so please accept the following corrections:

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yup - had a P35 and still have a 1025. The P35 edged it (just) over was massively better than the 1025 tonally and was a lovely bass to play. But my 1025 was 1lb lighter and that won the day for me. 

The bridge pup on the 1025 is a little grittier than the P35's, which was a little "sweeter", and I do like using the solo'd bridge pup on the 1025 for B-string-heavy low end material as it cuts through well. 

I think if I had had the benefit of the wide Minotaur strap I'm now using, I might have held onto the P35. But no regrets at all about still having my 1025, which I have also preferred to and has seen off both the BB735A and a Sire P7 Mk2, which are both very decent basses.   I very foolishly sold my P35 on thinking it was too heavy (to someone who foolishly did exactly the same. There was clearly something in the water).

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@RigorMortens I've just been asked to re-write my post above by a mate, who is desperately keen to take your 1025x off your hands...so please accept the following corrections:

I appreciate the “correction”, but the 1025 has no plans of leaving the premises at this time. 

But after further consideration i would like to ask a follow up question: the difference (in sound) between a 734a in passive mode and a P34? 

I can see the 734 being more versatile with the preamp and being mostly the same specs as its more exotic sibling, i’m starting to question whether that would be a better choice. 

BBP35 vs BB1025 vs BB735A

On 19/03/2021 at 11:58, Al Krow said:

Yup - had a P35 and still have a 1025. The P35 edged it (just) over the 1025 tonally and was a lovely bass to play. But my 1025 was 1lb lighter and that won the day for me. 

I think if I had had the benefit of the wide Minotaur strap I'm now using, I might have held onto the P35. But no regrets at all about still having my 1025, which I have also preferred to and has seen off both the BB735A and a Sire P7 Mk2, which are both very decent basses. 

The 734A/5A does give you more options. I've had two shots at giving a 735A a go and in my case my 1025 is the bass I've held on to! And FWIW I preferred my P35 over my 735A, but there are several 734A /5A owners on this thread who are very happy with their basses. 

If you pick a 734A/5A up used, you'll very probably be able to move it on for what you paid for it, so you can A/B them for yourself without too much risk of loss.

@Dean Vincent - here's a couple of my previous posts on the subject in relation to your current query. You may, of course, prefer to pick the brains of someone who has never so much as laid eyes on any of the basses, but has enough performance experience to know that differences in feel... 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Just gonna give this a little plug on here, in case anyone is thinking of moving on their 1024 (great choice btw! 😊)

Yamaha BB 1024 - Items Wanted (NO TRADES) - Basschat

Funny, I've been thinking the exact same thought! My appetite was whet by that lovely amber coloured 1024 that sold in the marketplace last week within 24 hours. Vintage white is definitely the best colour IMO

15 minutes ago, EJWW said:

Funny, I've been thinking the exact same thought! My appetite was whet by that lovely amber coloured 1024 that sold in the marketplace last week within 24 hours. Vintage white is definitely the best colour IMO

Flattery will get you everywhere! I really don't need any excuse to be reposting a pic my vintage white BB1024-sibling even if it's technically got a redundant thumb rest string! But I'll resist, given that I must have posted it almost as many times as @bassfan has posted his very lovely Status (and which has gotta be one of the most coveted basses on BC) 😁

• Like 1

On 08/03/2021 at 13:58, yourfurryfiend said:

You've definitely given me food for thought, along with lighter tuners!
I've currently got a 9cm strap, but you've inspired me to order a 11cm wide strap, albeit non-leather :D

So did she stay or did she go?! 😊

You've also finally put to bed the burning question on many of our lips of "is a Yammy BB good for metal?"

AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie (Band cover) - Share Your Music - Basschat

Great job, btw!

55 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So did she stay or did she go?! 😊

You've also finally put to bed the burning question on many of our lips of "is a Yammy BB good for metal?"

AC/DC - Whole Lotta Rosie (Band cover) - Share Your Music - Basschat

Great job, btw!

She went 😥 what a sad affair. 

I tried the wide strap which did help a little, but not enough for me. I still couldn't face drilling the holes for Ultralite tuners! 

I hastily bought a 434 which is great value as others have said, not at all comparable to the BBP34 of course. I put some Dr Fat-Beams on, I'll see what it's like when they settle in. 

Perhaps you or others can advise. Is the 734/5a really the same build quality as the 434/5? I've seen some 734a reported as 4Kg, which would be good with some Ultralites on. The BB1024 is a step up. 

I wouldn't hesistate on another MIJ yam, as long as it was sub 4Kg. I'm interested to see if there is something suitable from the previous series from previous decades! I have the bug now. 

Oh and thanks! Much appreciated.

Edited by yourfurryfiend

Awww shame about the P34 and I totally sympathise about your reluctance to drill holes into the head of a high end bass, particularly when you're not 100% certain she'll be staying.

Well you gave it your best shot (can't say fairer than that!) and you've got a very decent recording done to remember her by. Parting can be such sweet sorrow.                                             

• Like 1

PS if you've got a BB 434 (pics please!) I'm guessing you won't find very much difference tonally to the 1024 so I personally wouldn't look to get both. In the same way my having a 1025 means I've not really been tempted to get a 435. But I think you have both a 434 and 1024 now? So you'll be able to share your thoughts on that.

I've posted a fair bit on my thoughts about the 735A vs the 1025 vs P35, so I think I've said my bit on that score! @javi_bassist is loving his 734A and 735A 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

Pulling you onto this thread for your Yammy query, if I may. I think @Ricky Rioli is probably your man!

9 minutes ago, 41Hz said:

...Currently thinking for £350 I can get a Yammy BB235 or TRBX305. Based on the sound clips I think the 235 sounds better, but I already have P, J and PJ basses so the 305 would add a more modern sound. Plus the 24 frets would be nice. Is there a big step up with a BB435, I don’t hear the 235 mentioned as much.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

A really nice bb2000 has just gone up for sale on here. I don’t think it will be on for to long as they don’t come up for sale everyday. Unfortunately I’m all spent up bass wise for a while or it would have definitely been in my collection.

Haha - yes you've definitely done your bit to keep the bass market afloat over these passed 12 months 😁

6 hours ago, Dean Vincent said:

Just wondered what everyone finds a comfortable string height on the final fret of their BBs for a low but buzz free action. 

I suspect this is going to vary a fair bit. Mine's at approx. 3.5mm above the 21st fret on the A string of my BB1025.

• Like 1