Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

39 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

We seem to be travelling down an identical path!

I kept my 1025 in preference to the P35 purely on weight grounds. I think the P35 edges it otherwise, in particular it has a tonally sweeter bridge pup.

My 1025 doesn't have Ultralites and it will likely be a fraction heavier than yours with a 5 string neck, although I suspect not much in it as I think the 5ers have flatter necks, but it still comes in at a comfortable 4.4kg = 9.7 lbs.

My guess is the Ultralites will shave a bit more than 0.1kg, I reckon more like 1lb = 0.45kg off the weight (well for 5 tuners maybe a bit less for 4 tuners). But I suspect the manufacturer will provide the precise weights online and then it would be a case of just removing one of your existing tuners and accurately weighing it (and then obviously x4) to find out what the weight saving would be.

Yes we do!

I did the maths, which I think is correct:

One original tuner is 77g (308g total)
Clover Ultralite is 54g (216g total) 

308-216 = 92g saving

I have seen the Y key Ultralite's listed as 44g (176g x 4):
308 -176 = 132g saving

On 07/03/2021 at 13:53, Al Krow said:

Just seen your post on your FS thread:

It's under 10lbs!! That's my magic number, these days, or tiny bit more at a stretch - and I'm not a particularly sturdy youth by any measure of that phrase! 

In which case, can I make one further suggestion: leave the existing tuners on, but before selling get one of these: Minotaur Bass Strap Black – Thomann UK

If I had discovered these sooner, I wouldn't have sold my P35! It's given a complete new lease of life to a couple of my heavier basses and an opportunity for me to appreciate just how really good they are!

You've definitely given me food for thought, along with lighter tuners!
I've currently got a 9cm strap, but you've inspired me to order a 11cm wide strap, albeit non-leather :D

Edited by yourfurryfiend

11 minutes ago, yourfurryfiend said:

I've currently got a 9cm strap, but you've inspired me to order a 11cm strap, albeit non-leather :D

Excellent! Really interested to know how this all turns out and it would be marvellous if we have managed to find a successful work around that allows you to keep your P34, given what a good bass it is. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I was a bit shocked to find that the Glock 3 band has a treble EQ centred at 18kHz, which is outside most adults hearing range so pretty much pointless! 

Its not centred is it? It is a shelf type, so it has a cutoff at 18khz, and the treble goes up to there (as do all shelving types). As it is 3db/octave and 18db at 18khz, it is +/- 15db @ 9kh|, +12dB @4.5kh|Z, +9db & 2.25khZ etc.

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Its not centred is it? It is a shelf type, so it has a cutoff at 18khz, and the treble goes up to there (as do all shelving types). As it is 3db/octave and 18db at 18khz, it is +/- 15db @ 9kh|, +12dB @4.5kh|Z, +9db & 2.25khZ etc.

That's very helpful thanks Woody, but is that only in passive mode? Info from BD's website (which may or may not be entirely correct):

The GLOCKENKLANG 3-band onboard preamp is active/passive switchable (at the volume push/pull), has a balance-pot with no volume dip in centre-position, a treble-pot with +/- 18 dB@18 KHz in active mode, acting as classical high cut in passive mode, mid-pot +/- 9 dB@550 Hz and a bass-pot with +/- 14 dB@40 Hz. Battery-connection is 9 volts.

If it's also the case in active mode then, agreed that's a game changing proposition. Otherwise it would suggest that it's centred at 18kHz in active mode?

PS I presume you also meant +/- 12dB etc (i.e. not just +)?

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

That's very helpful thanks Woody, but is that only in passive mode? Info from BD's website (which may or may not be entirely correct):

No, although in passive mode it is also a shelving control, but much blunter.

If it's also the case in active mode then, agreed that's a game changing proposition. Otherwise it would suggest that it's centred at 18kHz in active mode?

Its not 'centred' as it isn't a band pass filter, it is a shelf.

The passive / active function, while similar, are not doing really related, they are just on the same knob (I have one of those pres on my 5005).

PS I presume you also meant +/- 12dB etc (i.e. not just +)?

Almost certainly, you always miss one when you are writing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yourfurryfiend said:

I've currently got a 9cm strap, but you've inspired me to order a 11cm wide strap, albeit non-leather :D

Don't forget the distance at which the lighter tuners are a benefit, all the way out there at the end of the neck: it's only a few ounces lighter, but it has a much bigger effect than that*...well, that's what I've always found. I have Ultralites on all my basses...

*I've had to check, because it was a long time ago when I did my Engineering HND, but it's the Turning Moment of the weight, which is the force multiplied by the distance

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Don't forget the distance at which the lighter tuners are a benefit, all the way out there at the end of the neck: it's only a few ounces lighter, but it has a much bigger effect than that*...well, that's what I've always found. I have Ultralites on all my basses...

Do you happen to know the weight of the stock tuners on a BB424? I've just looked up the specs for the Licensed Ultralites: 56g (⅜" clover) / 57g (½" clover)

I also looked up the price of licensed ultralites - £14 satin, £17 shiny

On 24/02/2021 at 17:50, javi_bassist said:

Well, it's finally here! My BB605 arrived today. I've been playing with it for 1 hour and this are my impressions:

-I like the neck. It's really comfortable. I have to adjust it, but so far, it's really good.

-The preamp is garbage. I hate it. I can see people liking it, but I'm not one of them. The knobs are ok I guess.

-The overall sound: meh. I don't hate the pickups, but I don't love them either.

I don't mind since I was already thinking about changing the preamp and the pickups. I like how it feels and plays. I can change the rest.

Thinking about Glockenlang or Delano preamp. Or Aguilar. And Delano pickups.

20210224_184355(1).jpg

Hello mate. Any updates on how the upgrade went? I’ve got a bb605 as well and I’m thinking about upgrading my electronics as well. Currently thinking John east preamp with barts or some other pickup. If you’ve got any sound samples, that would be great. 

4 minutes ago, Basshead784 said:

Hello mate. Any updates on how the upgrade went? I’ve got a bb605 as well and I’m thinking about upgrading my electronics as well. Currently thinking John east preamp with barts or some other pickup. If you’ve got any sound samples, that would be great. 

Hi!

I've finally ordered a Delano preamp with the selector switch. There's no much stock and the store is expecting to receive it this week or next week. As soon as I swap the preamp, I will let you guys know my thoughts 

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

Hi!

I've finally ordered a Delano preamp with the selector switch. There's no much stock and the store is expecting to receive it this week or next week. As soon as I swap the preamp, I will let you guys know my thoughts 

Thanks mate. I’m not sure if it’s just my electronics but it seems my bass knob does nothing and the mid knob controls the bass and mids. Was this how your stock electronics functioned as well? I’ve attached a pic of my wiring cavity as well. 

28CE2A5F-B864-4CD9-AA60-B5B4F0AC4C9B.jpeg

Edited by Basshead784

25 minutes ago, Basshead784 said:

Thanks mate. I’m not sure if it’s just my electronics but it seems my bass knob does nothing and the mid knob controls the bass and mids. Was this how your stock electronics functioned as well? I’ve attached a pic of my wiring cavity as well. 

28CE2A5F-B864-4CD9-AA60-B5B4F0AC4C9B.jpeg

I haven't openned it yet, so I cannot comment. 

What I can say is that all the knobs work. I now set the preamp with a little bit of bass and I cut some treble.

On 07/03/2021 at 10:09, claustra said:

I may well have found the missing link between a Yamaha BB1200s and a BB2024 : the Yamaha BB1000s !

20210307_102326.thumb.jpg.b50bfe223480b3547443a61c65d1367d.jpg

I've just bought it second hand, sent by post, as "in very good condition", but is is clearly roadworn, has been played a lot in the 80s and 90s, has a lot of dings, the fretboard after the nut has suffered from I do not know what, and I am not sure the tuners are original. The 3 way pickup selector seems to be dead. But these are extraordinarily solid : it plays really well, the frets are good...

What a fantastic little collection! Wall of shame on the OP updated :) 

At this rate, it's gonna be a brave man betting against you or @marleaux62 being the next of our happy crew to have a BB2000 or BB2000A in their collection! Not currently aware of any of us having one, although I suspect a few may have passed through our hands over the decades?

Edited by Al Krow

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

What a fantastic little collection! Wall of shame on the OP updated :) 

At this rate, it's gonna be a brave man betting against you or @marleaux62 being the next of our happy crew to have a BB2000 or BB2000A in their collection! Not currently aware of any of us having one, although I suspect a few may have passed through our hands over the decades?

I have never played a BB2000 or BB2000A. They must be terrific as well.

If I behave - 🤞 -  I'll stick to the 1200s and the 2024 (I'd love a sunburst 2024x instead, but for the looks only).
I enjoy trying various basses, and I generally prefer maple boards, but those BBs really are amazing instruments.

I've let a white BB2024x with a maple board go to someone else a couple of years ago as I did not have the cash at the moment.

It was this one.
IMG_4672.jpg.8da7358d7a7ecc13f3734c70529c1219.jpg

If it came up again, I'd sell my BB2024 and buy it. It would surely tick all the boxes for me.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, claustra said:

I have never played a BB2000 or BB2000A. They must be terrific as well.

If I behave - 🤞 -  I'll stick to the 1200s and the 2024 (I'd love a sunburst 2024x instead, but for the looks only).
I enjoy trying various basses, and I generally prefer maple boards, but those BBs really are amazing instruments.

I've let a white BB2024x with a maple board go to someone else a couple of years ago as I did not have the cash at the moment.

It was this one.
IMG_4672.jpg.8da7358d7a7ecc13f3734c70529c1219.jpg

If it came up again, I'd sell my BB2024 and buy it. It would surely tick all the boxes for me.

Could I have been the original owner? I sold mine to Chris (Beedster). At the time it was the only maple board one I knew of. I bought it from Promenade Music and kinda wish I hadn't of let it go.

Peter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreeneKing said:

Could I have been the original owner? I sold mine to Chris (Beedster). At the time it was the only maple board one I knew of. I bought it from Promenade Music and kinda wish I hadn't of let it go.

Peter

Possibly.
The 3 knobs rather than 2 and a switch are uncommon as well.

When I saw it, it belonged to a French guy, it had had a Jazz pickup set up beforehand and still had the routing underneath the pickguard, but was back to PJ configuration.

No idea where it is now.
I may try and find our conversation from I can't remember which site, and ask who he sold it to.

Edited by claustra
  • Like 1

Guest Corto14

Little OT but not so much...
I'm in the market for my first pedal (well, second if I count the Darkglass Element) and I'm looking for the MXR vintage octave. Have anyone used it with a BB and can recommend it (or not)?
Other recommendations are appreciated too, specifically regarding preamp, overdrive and compressor 

Thanks ☺️

My turn for OT 😂 ...

I'm in the market for my first van (well, second if I count my previous Volvo Estate) and am looking at the Ford Transit. Has anyone used a Ford Transit to transport their BB and can recommend it (or not)?

Other recommendations appreciated too, specifically regarding camper vans, rear-wheel drive and metered snake oil. 

PS the Boss OC-5 looks like a really good alternative to the MXR and definitely is on my radar.