Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, claustra said:

I may well have found the missing link between a Yamaha BB1200s and a BB2024 : the Yamaha BB1000s !

20210307_102326.thumb.jpg.b50bfe223480b3547443a61c65d1367d.jpg

I've just bought it second hand, sent by post, as "in very good condition", but is is clearly roadworn, has been played a lot in the 80s and 90s, has a lot of dings, the fretboard after the nut has suffered from I do not know what, and I am not sure the tuners are original. The 3 way pickup selector seems to be dead.

But these are extraordinarily solid : it plays really well, the frets are good.

Through neck vs bolt-on :20210307_102142.thumb.jpg.f3b8ca2b1f968e8ed10ca2f5527a199b.jpg

Same headstock design, different tuners

20210307_102012.thumb.jpg.661b441d22fccbc2e47ab99b768b4af1.jpg

20210307_102247.thumb.jpg.ec83927641a9996461957810319f27ac.jpg

Same jack socket20210307_101122.thumb.jpg.980b99d2467ff03464fa1951e35e7942.jpg

2 stripes20210307_101141.thumb.jpg.5f61ec834aa00103ecd3a235db68908f.jpg

1 stripe20210307_101144.thumb.jpg.2947cff8998e437438efd1156b21b3ce.jpg

Deeper cutaway on the G side on the 202420210307_101149.thumb.jpg.a5ea6206489008406198c8e2970cd7e5.jpg

The nut : still operatin, not sure how :

20210307_100418.thumb.jpg.e9c7a2238343759007653746da5496b5.jpg

Very nice collection indeed 

Edited by marleaux62

10 minutes ago, yourfurryfiend said:

A great comparison! Related to your post @claustra, I've been trying to find a replacement switch for my BB1024 this morning. I'm guess giving it a spray with some electrical spray will help, but are there any recommendations for a more robust switch? 

Cheers

Not sure which switch at the moment.

I'll try some spray and check the soldering, but electronics is not my thing.

20 minutes ago, yourfurryfiend said:

Hey all,

You may have noticed my BBP34 for sale on the marketplace:

I strongly considered installing some Hipshot Ultralites, but couldn't bring myself to drill the holes. It doesn't feel right to modify a bass of this quality; to change the brushed-nickel hardware, especially as it balances so well how it is.
I'm hoping I can find another BB from the new series and that it will still compare well. My trusty BB1024 really is not going anywhere!
Of course if anyone has a lighter BBP34 to trade ... maybe they prefer the Blue to the Sunburst ;) It seems very unlikely though!

I saw your FS ad and was interested that you had exactly the same experience with your BB P34 as I did with my P35 i.e. fantastic bass, but a touch too heavy. What's yours weighing in at?

Completely understand where you're coming from about drilling holes in a high end bass - and with Ultralites as they have a smaller footprint the holes are very much exposed. (Although cosmetically the old tuners would liklely cover the new holes should you decide to move it on and provided you've disclosed the holes a purchaser shouldn't mind too much or, at most, you would knock a bit of the sales price). But they would shave I'm guessing 1lb off the weight and potentially transform it to being "just perfect". But I'm still with you in hesitating!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I saw your FS ad and was interested that you had exactly the same experience with your BB P34 as I did with my P35 i.e. fantastic bass, but a touch too heavy. What's yours weighing in at?

Completely understand where you're coming from about drilling holes in a high end bass - and with Ultralites as they have a smaller footprint the holes are very much exposed. (Although cosmetically the old tuners would liklely cover the new holes should you decide to move it on and provided you've disclosed the holes a purchaser shouldn't mind too much or, at most, you would knock a bit of the sales price). But they would shave I'm guessing 1lb off the weight and potentially transform it to being "just perfect". But I'm still with you in hesitating!

Yes I agree, the same experience, it is a shame about the weight! I think if I sat down to practice and didn't intend to use it live, then I would be keen on keeping it. I don't think it's really a heavy one at 4.3Kg/9.47lbs, I think this is absolutely fine for many people.
My BB1024 comes in at 3.9Kg/8.59lbs (with Ultralites) and it makes all the difference to me.

That's good advice, I was thinking the same about the holes not being visible with the original tuners.
My logic is that, as the BB1024 must have been around 4.0 Kg before Ultralites (and too heavy for me), then BBP34 + Ultralites won't get it low enough (I'm assuming around 0.1Kg saving).

19 minutes ago, yourfurryfiend said:

Yes I agree, the same experience, it is a shame about the weight! I think if I sat down to practice and didn't intend to use it live, then I would be keen on keeping it. I don't think it's really a heavy one at 4.3Kg/9.47lbs, I think this is absolutely fine for many people.
My BB1024 comes in at 3.9Kg/8.59lbs (with Ultralites) and it makes all the difference to me.

That's good advice, I was thinking the same about the holes not being visible with the original tuners.
My logic is that, as the BB1024 must have been around 4.0 Kg before Ultralites (and too heavy for me), then BBP34 + Ultralites won't get it low enough (I'm assuming around 0.1Kg saving).

We seem to be travelling down an identical path!

I kept my 1025 in preference to the P35 purely on weight grounds. I think the P35 edges it otherwise, in particular it has a tonally sweeter bridge pup.

My 1025 doesn't have Ultralites and it will likely be a fraction heavier than yours with a 5 string neck, although I suspect not much in it as I think the 5ers have flatter necks, but it still comes in at a comfortable 4.4kg = 9.7 lbs.

My guess is the Ultralites will shave a bit more than 0.1kg, I reckon more like 1lb = 0.45kg off the weight (well for 5 tuners maybe a bit less for 4 tuners). But I suspect the manufacturer will provide the precise weights online and then it would be a case of just removing one of your existing tuners and accurately weighing it (and then obviously x4) to find out what the weight saving would be.

Edited by Al Krow

On 21/02/2021 at 20:46, AndyTravis said:

I know the BB’s are the thing here. I keep want an SB though too.

Great shape, sort of the midway between the SBV samurai basses and the BB’s...I think chronologically as well as in appearance.

A885ECB0-7C20-4759-B8A4-C228CDAB15BF.jpeg

CA4D509B-5D7D-4342-AADB-0A6D6A9F86E2.jpeg

That SB bass with the maple board looks great. Given the trend towards slightly quirky retro designs, I think if Yamaha were to resurrect that style it would be well received, especially if it were equipped with some nice and beefy- sounding pickups. As with all Yamaha basses,  it would have to be Japanese- made to peak my interest, but I  expect it will never happen anyway.😟

• Like 2

On 04/03/2021 at 20:16, Al Krow said:

Hi @PPSteve - agreed the one at Bass Gallery did look like an 1100S

Let me give your post a plug on this thread, too, although tbf BB1200S are a bit like the BB2000, i.e. gold dust and they just don't come up too often! (In fact I don't think anyone on our "wall of shame" on the OP has a BB2000...)

Looking for a Yamaha BB1200S - Bass Guitars - Basschat

"Unfortunately" looking through the BG website there was a stunning blue TRB 5P which completely turned my head, but which I don't need.

...no I really don't need...

..no, no, seriously, I really really don't need... 

😊

The BB2000 is also ripe for a reissue, as is the BB3000, for that matter. Again, they would have to be made in Japan to do justice to the originals. There was a golden age of manufacturing in Japan in the 70s and 80s ( not just in musical instrument  making but across the board) and that was a big part of what made those basses so special.  

57 minutes ago, Misdee said:

That SB bass with the maple board looks great. Given the trend towards slightly quirky retro designs, I think if Yamaha were to resurrect that style it would be well received, especially if it were equipped with some nice and beefy- sounding pickups. As with all Yamaha basses,  it would have to be Japanese- made to peak my interest, but I  expect it will never happen anyway.😟

I have one for sale here :

47 minutes ago, Misdee said:

The BB2000 is also ripe for a reissue, as is the BB3000, for that matter. Again, they would have to be made in Japan to do justice to the originals. There was a golden age of manufacturing in Japan in the 70s and 80s ( not just in musical instrument  making but across the board) and that was a big part of what made those basses so special.  

Agreed, and please add a 5000 and 5000A into that list for us 5 string players (plus a PH 5er whilst they're at it).

I've been really very happy with the quality of my Indonesian made 1025. I get that 50 years ago Japan vs Indonesia would have been a big gulf in terms of economics and local skills. But my sense is that Indonesia is a pretty good location for decent quality bass manufacture these days. I'm guessing a similar debate to a Czech made Spector vs USA made Spector, or MIM vs USA made Fender. With Spector, I think the Czech version is superb and as much as I would love a US NS5, paying literally double is a jump only likely to be matched by a 10% (max?) improvement in parts and quality.

Just seen your post on your FS thread:

1 hour ago, yourfurryfiend said:

I was conscious of the weight being reported as a different value to Richard's post, so I re-weighed on my kitchen scales, and it came out the same as 4.3Kg/9.47lbs.

It's under 10lbs!! That's my magic number, these days, or tiny bit more at a stretch - and I'm not a particularly sturdy youth by any measure of that phrase! 

In which case, can I make one further suggestion: leave the existing tuners on, but before selling get one of these: Minotaur Bass Strap Black – Thomann UK

If I had discovered these sooner, I wouldn't have sold my P35! It's given a complete new lease of life to a couple of my heavier basses and an opportunity for me to appreciate just how really good they are!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still have this BB body...I think, someone did the Jazz-pickup drilling plus an extra hole for  an extra knob.  Found some pick ups and a bridge, tuners ... all I need is a neck...
I am thinking of gold hardware (of course) and vintage white Demarzio pick ups ( on the pic I put some pu-covers in creame on top of the pu).....
What do you think??? Also found a complete BB3000 electronic that could be built in....  (I love my boxes full of spare parts collected over the years..) 🙂 

20210307_114216.jpg

20210307_114822.jpg

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Agreed, and please add a 5000 and 5000A into that list for us 5 string players (plus a PH 5er whilst they're at it).

I've been really very happy with the quality of my Indonesian made 1025. I get that 50 years ago Japan vs Indonesia would have been a big gulf in terms of economics and local skills. But my sense is that Indonesia is a pretty good location for decent quality bass manufacture these days. I'm guessing a similar debate to a Czech made Spector vs USA made Spector, or MIM vs USA made Fender. With Spector, I think the Czech version is superb and as much as I would love a US NS5, paying literally double is a jump only likely to be matched by a 10% (max?) improvement in parts and quality.

The 5000 was great, but the string spacing was way too tight for most people, unless you can find the super-rare wide spacing version that Yamaha offered very briefly.                                      The Indonesian- made  Yamaha's are absolutely fine in my book, but there is something special about the full-tilt Japanese  version.  I am old enough to remember when they were all made in Japan, as were Ibanez, Aria ect, and folks never realised just how good they really were at the time. It was different times to nowadays where Made in Japan is a mark of quality just as much as Made in Germany or, heaven help us, Made in the UK.Its just a shame that the world economy has changed to the extent that  so many Japanese companies manufacture offshore nowadays, because the Japanese have a formidable track record of craftsmanship equal to anybody, and they love quality products.When it comes to luxury goods, they aspire to the best.

• Like 1

I have been playing my "new" BB605 and I have some thoughts about it:

-The preamp still "meh". I set a little bass boost, a little treble cut and I don't touch the mids. It works and sounds nice. However, a Delano preamp is already coming. 

-I started liking the pickups. Not the best pickups (and will be replaced when I got the money) but they are nice. They sound very tight, a little bit compressed maybe. They are just fine.

-It feels lighter than I expected. The shape is definitely smaller than other BBs I've tried. It's very comfortable to play and the neck feels great. It's more C shaped and feels bigger than the BB735, but it feels good. 

-The B string is really good. I don't know if it's because of the pickups, but it sounds focused and punchy. I tried a D'addario XL .130 and it sounded great. Now I have Dunlop Super Brights and the bass feels better, but the B string doesn't feel that good. Anyway, I think is a little bit better than the 735. Just a little, but it's the only aspect that I prefer the 605 to the 735.

I'm pretty happy with the 605. I still prefer the 735 any day of the week, but the 605 is such a cool bass. Definitely a keeper.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

However, a Delano preamp is already coming. 

Is the Delano you're getting a 3 band EQ and what are the EQ centre points?

I was a bit shocked to find that the Glock 3 band has a treble EQ centred at 18kHz, which is outside most adults hearing range so pretty much pointless! 

Just now, Al Krow said:

I was a bit shocked to find that the Glock 3 band has a treble EQ centred at 18kHz, which is outside most adults hearing range so pretty much pointless! 

I am getting the MS/E3, which has a 3 way switch to select the mid frequencies (300Hz, 500Hz and 800Hz). The bass is centered at 40Hz and the treble at 6.5kHz.

The Glock was my second option. I will probably miss having the passive option. When I read about the treble in the Glock I thought exactly the same. However, people say that they do it that way to have more round highs. Since you are increasing the curve at 18kHz, you are creating a curve up to that is not that metallic sounding. Which  can make sense, but I didn't have the chance to try it. I could try the Delano preamp and I liked it (that's why I chose it over the Glock).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Have you tried using it? It works very well.
When I had one I had more issues with the bass control freq on the bass I had it on. 

32 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I am getting the MS/E3, which has a 3 way switch to select the mid frequencies (300Hz, 500Hz and 800Hz). The bass is centered at 40Hz and the treble at 6.5kHz.

The Glock was my second option. I will probably miss having the passive option. When I read about the treble in the Glock I thought exactly the same. However, people say that they do it that way to have more round highs. Since you are increasing the curve at 18kHz, you are creating a curve up to that is not that metallic sounding. Which  can make sense, but I didn't have the chance to try it. I could try the Delano preamp and I liked it (that's why I chose it over the Glock).

That's an interesting point about the Glock. But 6.5kHz seems much more "sensible" to me and is what is also in the Aguilar OBP-3 and Spector TonePump - and if you're having to choose between rounding off the highs at 18 kHz and and a "usable treble" at 6.5kHz personally I would go for the 6.5 kHz every time.

• Like 1

I built in a Glockenklang into my BB3000 some years ago. It did not what I hoped it could, but it can't do anything the bass won't from it self... sold it. Wished I still had it with the original circuit 😉 

Edited by gobasserk

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Have you tried using it? It works very well.
When I had one I had more issues with the bass control freq on the bass I had it on. 

Cheers Luke - nope not yet, was thinking about it the context of the souping-up the electronics on a HB which we've been discussing on a separate thread.

What are you hearing when you dial the treble up / down and which bass do you / did you have it on?

I have to agree that 40 Hz is lower than ideal for the bass for me also;  55Hz to 70Hz on the TonePump seems to hit the mark really well.

I've not managed to find details of the Yammy EQ frequencies anywhere on their passive and active preamps - would love to know. But the tone control on the passive BB 1025 in dialling off the treble to give you that "Motown" sound is excellent.

Edited by Al Krow

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cheers Luke - nope not yet, was thinking about it the context of the souping-up the electronics on a HB which we've been discussing on a separate thread.

What are you hearing when you dial the treble up / down and which bass do you / did you have it on?

I have to agree that 40 Hz is lower than ideal for the bass for me also;  55Hz to 70Hz on the TonePump seems to hit the mark really well.

I've not managed to find details of the Yammy EQ frequencies anywhere on their passive and active preamps - would love to know. But the tone control on the passive BB 1025 in dialling off the treble to give you that "Motown" sound is excellent.

Frequency points in themselves are pretty useless for any kind of discussion without more information about Q and type of curve/filter used.
Otherwise you could end up with the equivalent of bigger engines are faster, therefore the 2litre Mazda 3 is faster than the 1.6litre formulae one car. 
I had it in my old Warwick streamer, the top end was very nice sounding, the bass boost and the natural sound of that bass didn’t jell and was too boomy If boosted so it didn’t stay long. Top quality preamp though I think it would work well in a “fender type” bass (Which a lot of BBs are) - my 2p ... John east makes some of the best preamps available 

• Like 1

I have a question to all you BB735A / BB734A / BBPH owners and former owners, about the feel of your center-detented Balancer and EQ pots. On my 735A those pots have very stiff feel, almost so that the center detents often go unnoticed while adjusting. I don’t like this at all, and would like to know if mine are faulty or is it a ”feature”. 

So, what about your pots? Stiff or not? Please tell me! 

1 hour ago, MattiZ said:

I have a question to all you BB735A / BB734A / BBPH owners and former owners, about the feel of your center-detented Balancer and EQ pots. On my 735A those pots have very stiff feel, almost so that the center detents often go unnoticed while adjusting. I don’t like this at all, and would like to know if mine are faulty or is it a ”feature”. 

So, what about your pots? Stiff or not? Please tell me! 

I have the 735 and I had the 734. The feeling is good and I can notice when they are centered perfectly. 

• Like 1