Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

You’ve got that blue thing. Stop worrying 

And a rather tasty PHy Red thing. And then there's also that elegant black one with the neck through...yeah good shout Andy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

Only 4 strings in my collection I’m afraid I don’t want to start collecting 5 strings. One I haven’t the room but the main reason is I think the wife go totally berserk.

Just take the low B string off. It's only there as a thumb rest after all...😁

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Yup. 50 were made to celebrate 30 years of collaboration between Yamaha and Nathan East.  Nathan has one, not sure where the other 48 are 😉

So you have one?! Pics please! 

This one was traded Yamaha BBNE2 Nathan East Limited Edition - TRADED! - Basses For Sale - Basschat

So that leaves 47 to track down :) 

There was a pewter one on sale here a while back from a Scottish guy too. Not sure where it went. Interestingly that’s a few pro guys who’ve moved their NEBB’s  on so I wonder what it was that wasn’t hitting the spot of them? I think @TJ Spicer mentioned his pro’s and cons in a review. 

34 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Cant say i am surprised in that colour, doesn't really have mass market appeal like white or black

Have to admit I'm with you on that one, white or black do look stunning on that model. But clearly pewter has its fans too, evidenced by @marleaux62specifically wanting that colour. 

I saw a really lovely Shuker for sale recently, but couldn't get passed the orange-brown Essex tan, but which clearly must have appealed to the owner at one point! 

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Have to admit I'm with you on that one, white or black do look stunning on that model. But clearly pewter has its fans too, evidenced by @marleaux62specifically wanting that colour.

Yes, both white and black are good. Other colours could be too but that is like a non-colour, like grey cars a few years ago which I noticed were a thing as a few years ago my work carpark was 7 grey cars and one bluey off grey.

I find colour is more important the more expensive something is. Well, to a point, if my other half doesn't like the colour of a bass it doesn't get to live in the living room!

Gunmetal grey can look really good on a car IMO. Isn't that another name for pewter? But maybe it's more geared to cold metal rather than the 'warmth' of wood?

Totally agree that if you're paying top dollar for a bass you want to be able to get it in the finish you really like and think "wow" whenever you see it. 

Saw a perfectly spec'd Spector NS5 the other day at BD in tobacco burst ...*sigh* / massive relief on wallet (delete as applicable). 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, marleaux62 said:

When I eventually get a bb614 then I will put my orange bb414 up for sale. Has anyone had both basses is there much difference between the two?

I always ended up setting my 614 flat...which was basically a 414

39 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Gunmetal grey can look really good on a car IMO. Isn't that another name for pewter? But maybe it's more geared to cold metal rather than the 'warmth' of wood?

Not quite - my last car was gunmetal grey, and I liked that colour. better on a car than a bass though IMO. You could be right about the wood.

Totally agree that if you're paying top dollar for a bass you want to be able to get it in the finish you really like and think "wow" whenever you see it. 

Saw a perfectly spec'd Spector NS5 the other day at BD in tobacco burst ...*sigh* / massive relief on wallet (delete as applicable). 

Yep, its got to be special (to the owner - sod everyone else). When the sunlight is in the right place (and present) in my office it lands on the shuker and catches my eye (pretty easy, it is right next to where I work) and I have a 'wow' moment.

Edited by Woodinblack