Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Some folk can find Delano a bit sterile/modern but they have such a vast range of pick ups it’s really worth looking at the sound you’re after and dialing down from there... but looks like you’ve a clear idea of what you want from this bass and an eq/pick up refit. 
I like what Darkglass have done with their Tone Capsule preamp (bass and two mid controls) could be worth a look plus there is one in the for sale’s - not mine I should add.

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, krispn said:

Some folk can find Delano a bit sterile/modern but they have such a vast range of pick ups it’s really worth looking at the sound you’re after and dialing down from there... but looks like you’ve a clear idea of what you want from this bass and an eq/pick up refit. 
I like what Darkglass have done with their Tone Capsule preamp (bass and two mid controls) could be worth a look plus there is one in the for sale’s - not mine I should add.

Have you tried the Darkglass? I've never been a fan of the brand. I liked the Microtubes, but in the end it was too agressive. I know they have that "metal music" fame and they are good for other things. I've never listened to their onboard preamps, so I don't know.  

53 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

Have you tried the Darkglass? I've never been a fan of the brand. I liked the Microtubes, but in the end it was too agressive. I know they have that "metal music" fame and they are good for other things. I've never listened to their onboard preamps, so I don't know.  

I’ve listened to many demos and I might have tried one at the Sandberg factory? The DG on board preamp is just eq -no drive but I like the concept of a bass and two mid controls over a BMT with a very high treble. The DG TC is similar to how I’ve one of my amps set up on its semi para eq so I’ve applied the same concept only at the amp.

I should add the settings on the amp as pictured aren’t mimicking the Tone Capsule EQ points. The bass semi para eq is basically working as a HPF pulling lots of information at 25Hz, the mids bumping a bit in about 300-400Hz and the treble in hi mids territory at 1.4kHz  there’s enough zing in the bass/pick ups that it’s not needing more for at home use. If this was with the band I’d tune it to taste but couldn’t see it straying too far.
It’s quite marked the difference between eq disengaged (which keeps the bass and treble controls on play) as it really cleans the whole sound up set as pictured. Having the EQ on a footswitch and with its own gain is a great feature on this amp.

*The bass is set at 50Hz and the treble at 10kHz

9F73FBD8-2B27-44A2-841E-0F7DB4369EF7.jpeg

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I have to say that I've been talking to a couple of bassists who use the BB605 regularly (I follow them on Youtube and Instagram) and their tone with the bass is pretty amazing. And they haven't modded their basses.

That really is interesting that they are getting a great tone without any mods to the bass.

If you manage to pin down what they are doing differently to get such a great tone eg different rig or pedals that would be a useful insight - so please do let us know. 

Or maybe it really is all in the fingers 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

I have to say my fave reason in this list is avoiding a drop D tuner - having something easy to install without drilling extra holes, useful, reliable and about 10 times less in price than a 5 string bass is something to be avoided.........

Entirely fair  riposte if that was the only reason, but when it's one of a much larger package of reasons, then every little helps!

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

oh here we go... I use four fingers, you use five, Jamerson used one.... all valid, one not necessarily better than the other... 

:ph34r:

I think that just deserves two fingers.

😁

On 24/02/2021 at 16:14, Al Krow said:

Some key reasons for playing a 5 string:

• allows you to play a number of songs an octave down, as compared to a 4 string, particularly those in Eb, D and C (I've not come across too many in the key of B);
  • it makes swapping to a different key a whole lot easier; 
  • there are a bunch of fretboard positional benefits from a 5 string and you'll be surprised how often you make use of the notes on the low B string further up the fretboard as well, not just the low Eb and below;
  • avoids needing to get a drop D tuner or retuning the bass mid set;
  • you can spend much less time faffing around looking for the perfect octave-down pedal;
  • the low B string provides a thumb rest and avoids unsightly wear marks next to the neck pup;
  • your band-mates (and of course the audience) won't notice you're playing a 5 string and not a 4 string unless you actually point it out to them. 

For your "correct authority return", in Box 5S, you need to set out clearly why none of the above is likely to apply to you. The most common reason given is: "But I prefer a 4 string". That seems to work.

I hope that helps.

I thought we were already playing an octave down?

It can make playing riffs in a lower position on songs where the key has changed sound more ‘bass like’ rather than further up the neck - swapping to a different key isn’t necessarily easier but it’ll depend on the song and how the riff is played etc. I.e. a I IV V should be straight forward to transpose.

it does offer an abundance of notes all in and around one position if starting off the b string so it can reduce the need to scoot about the fretboard but a lot of guys I know who have gone back to 4 string say they found it a bit boring remaining in the one position and liked the movement and ‘industry’ going back to a 4 plus it made slapping easier again. 

playing in drop d is sometimes ‘easier’ than playing the same drop d song on a b string. 

many folk use an ‘octave down’ effect  to mimic electro tunes so a B string doesn’t necessarily negate the need for a octave pedal if that classic OC sound is what folk are trying to emulate especially when playing up the neck.

If you’re a player who uses your pick up case as a thumb rest...

I’ve said before I played a 5er exclusively for years as I felt it worked well for the gig but in my current band playing pub covers it’s not necessary and it’s nice to go back to four string. If a new opportunity required a 5 I’d happily play one.

Edited by krispn

12 minutes ago, krispn said:

I thought we were already playing an octave down?

It can make playing riffs in a lower position on songs where the key has changed sound more ‘bass like’ rather than further up the neck - swapping to a different key isn’t necessarily easier but it’ll depend on the song and how the riff is played etc. I.e. a I IV V should be straight forward to transpose.

it does offer an abundance of notes all in and around one position if starting off the b string so it can reduce the need to scoot about the fretboard but a lot of guys I know who have gone back to 4 string say they found it a bit boring remaining in the one position and liked the movement and ‘industry’ going back to a 4 plus it made slapping easier again. 

playing in drop d is sometimes ‘easier’ than playing the same song drop d song on a b sting. 

many folk use an ‘octave down’ effect  to mimic electro tunes so a B string doesn’t necessarily negate the need for a octave pedal especially if that classic OC sound is what folk are trying to emulate especially 

If you’re a player who uses your pick up case as a thumb rest...

I’ve said before I played a 5er exclusively for years as I felt it worked well for the gig but in my current band playing pub covers it’s not necessary and it’s nice to go back to four string. If a new opportunity required a 5 I’d happily play one.

No doubt all frivolous japes, as most of the points were just that, but you are so correct on drop D (or drop tuning however you are tuning down) being important.

Probably the best bass would be a 5 string BEADG but with a drop lever on the E string to accommodate all that - that would be an all in one

16 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

No doubt all frivolous japes, as most of the points were just that, but you are so correct on drop D (or drop tuning however you are tuning down) being important.

Probably the best bass would be a 5 string BEADG but with a drop lever on the E string to accommodate all that - that would be an all in one

Yeah I'd ask any player to play a 4 in drop d and try and recreate that wreckless abandon on a 5er. It's just not quite the same  :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yeah I'd ask any player to play a 4 in drop d and try and recreate that wreckless abandon on a 5er. It's just not quite the same  :)

Agreed

In all seriousness @Al Krow try Winery Dogs - Oblivion or Lucy Pearl - Trippin on a 5 then drop your E string to D and play it, or play it on your 8 string in drop D.

En Vogue - Don’t let go is also as easy in drop D as a 5er

You bought it!!

Congratulations - feels like you have a real collector's item in your herd and in such great condition! 

Love the neck through. 

Look forward to getting your thoughts on how it sounds. 

What do the 4 preamp knobs cover in addition to the pup selector switch? Is it purely passive? 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

You bought it!!

Congratulations - feels like you have a real collector's item in your herd and in such great condition! 

Love the neck through. 

Look forward to getting your thoughts on how it sounds. 

What do the 4 preamp knobs cover in addition to the pup selector switch? Is it purely passive? 

Yes it’s passive only