Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I went 5string and back. It makes sense when you REALLY need that extra string. 25 yeras back it was cool to have one. If you needed it or not 😛 
But after returning to rock 'n roll... I don't miss a low B. Had bands for this (played a lot of Gothik rock!) but I always hated it because du to drop down guitar tunigs and even 7 string axes... I lost interesst in ultra low. When I play a 5 string - and I do have a fantastic LeFay Waran 5 , I want to feature the low B string.. this distracts me from playing "free" because I want that B string... 😛   Silly me! 😄 

I seem to recall (tho it was a loooong time ago, so I could well be wrong) that the 5000As were basically the 3000A with a modded P pup, head (+tuner), nut and bridge...if that was the case, and the nut width wasn't daft, I could live with this as a 4...for a bit less money, obv...

39 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

I went 5string and back. It makes sense when you REALLY need that extra string. 25 yeras back it was cool to have one. If you needed it or not 😛 
But after returning to rock 'n roll... I don't miss a low B. Had bands for this (played a lot of Gothik rock!) but I always hated it because du to drop down guitar tunigs and even 7 string axes... I lost interesst in ultra low. When I play a 5 string - and I do have a fantastic LeFay Waran 5 , I want to feature the low B string.. this distracts me from playing "free" because I want that B string... 😛   Silly me! 😄 

I've found I spend much less time faffing around looking for the perfect octave-down pedal since getting into 5 strings - can we include that as a positive side effect? 😁

• Haha 1

Al, you are right for a bass player that likes low b string tones. If only the bass goes low... I am your opinion. If guitars or keyboards paticipate down there... I will solve it with a powerchord that will be heared better 🙂   
But there's nothing wrong with a cool 5 string!!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gobasserk said:

When I play a 5 string - and I do have a fantastic LeFay Waran 5 , I want to feature the low B string.. this distracts me from playing "free" because I want that B string... 😛   Silly me! 😄 

I guess that is a valid reason for you not playing a 5 - you feel you need a restriction on what you can do - can't imagine it is a common thing though, it would be like me wanting to play everything on the 26th fret on my shuker because I could, or using both ends of the piano when playing.

51 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I guess that is a valid reason for you not playing a 5

Bit worried that I haven't lodged my reasons for not playing a 5 string with the correct authority for validating? It wasn't tucked away on one of those pages on the tax return website where your eyes start glazing over, was it? :s

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Bit worried that I haven't lodged my reasons for not playing a 5 string with the correct authority for validating? It wasn't tucked away on one of those pages on the tax return website where your eyes start glazing over, was it? :s

Some key reasons for playing a 5 string:

• allows you to play a number of songs an octave down, as compared to a 4 string, particularly those in Eb, D and C (I've not come across too many in the key of B);
  • it makes swapping to a different key a whole lot easier; 
  • there are a bunch of fretboard positional benefits from a 5 string and you'll be surprised how often you make use of the notes on the low B string further up the fretboard as well, not just the low Eb and below;
  • avoids needing to get a drop D tuner or retuning the bass mid set;
  • you can spend much less time faffing around looking for the perfect octave-down pedal;
  • the low B string provides a thumb rest and avoids unsightly wear marks next to the neck pup;
  • your band-mates (and of course the audience) won't notice you're playing a 5 string and not a 4 string unless you actually point it out to them. 

For your "correct authority return", in Box 5S, you need to set out clearly why none of the above is likely to apply to you. The most common reason given is: "But I prefer a 4 string". That seems to work.

I hope that helps.

• Like 1

Well, it's finally here! My BB605 arrived today. I've been playing with it for 1 hour and this are my impressions:

-I like the neck. It's really comfortable. I have to adjust it, but so far, it's really good.

-The preamp is garbage. I hate it. I can see people liking it, but I'm not one of them. The knobs are ok I guess.

-The overall sound: meh. I don't hate the pickups, but I don't love them either.

I don't mind since I was already thinking about changing the preamp and the pickups. I like how it feels and plays. I can change the rest.

Thinking about Glockenlang or Delano preamp. Or Aguilar. And Delano pickups.

20210224_184355(1).jpg

Edited by javi_bassist
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

For your "correct authority return", in Box 5S, you need to set out clearly why none of the above is likely to apply to you. The most common reason given is: "But I prefer a 4 string". That seems to work

There are plenty of things lots of other people enjoy doing which have zero appeal for me, playing a 5 string bass is just another item on that list, along with going on holiday in Dubai, getting satellite telly, voting conservative, sleeping with siblings, owning a caravan, going bald etc etc. If sticking to 4-string basses is seen as some kind of deviant minority interest, then so be it, I can live with that. 

57 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

There are plenty of things lots of other people enjoy doing which have zero appeal for me, playing a 5 string bass is just another item on that list, along with going on holiday in Dubai, getting satellite telly, voting conservative, sleeping with siblings, owning a caravan, going bald etc etc. If sticking to 4-string basses is seen as some kind of deviant minority interest, then so be it, I can live with that. 

Being a 4 string player is hardly a "minority interest", though, amongst bassists. And almost all 5 string players will have started on 4 string and "deviated" from that. I would have also thought that primarily 4 string bassplayers outstrip mainly 5 string bassplayers by a significant margin out in "real world" and very probably amongst those in the BC bubble too. 

So on that basis, surely it us 5 string players who are the minority deviants?

Just out of interest do "lots of other people" you know enjoy sleeping with their siblings? 😁

Edited by Al Krow

2 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

Well, it's finally here! My BB605 arrived today. I've been playing with it for 1 hour and this are my impressions:

-I like the neck. It's really comfortable. I have to adjust it, but so far, it's really good.

-The preamp is garbage. I hate it. I can see people liking it, but I'm not one of them. The knobs are ok I guess.

-The overall sound: meh. I don't hate the pickups, but I don't love them either.

I don't mind since I was already thinking about changing the preamp and the pickups. I like how it feels and plays. I can change the rest.

20210224_184355(1).jpg

Looks awesome. I love the way my BB605 plays so much that I have just ordered to BB604 to go with it. 

Keep us posted on how the modifications go. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

20210224_184355(1).jpg

Loved the tell-it-like it is review rather than the all too often Week 1 "it's amazing" followed by Week 10 "up for sale, wasn't quite what I was looking for!" (And I'm sure I'm as guilty as the rest of doing that!) 😁

Actually looks really good. Interesting about the pre-amp, kinda similar "nothing special" to what a couple of us have been feeling about the 735A's pre-amp. Maybe we've found the weak spot on otherwise great basses but something that's a non-issue on the purely passive ones?

Have you used Delano pups before? Not a big fan myself have to admit, based on my experience on my former Sandberg but, hey, that's just one person's view. EMG 40TWs on the other hand...

Edited by Al Krow

30 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Give it time... sometimes meh solo Sounds even and sings in the mix and exciting solo Sounds lumpy and axward in the mix

I have experienced that. For example, I prefer my Jazz bass over my BB735 for solo, but not in the mix.

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Loved the tell-it-like it is review rather than the all too often Week 1 "it's amazing" followed by Week 10 "up for sale, wasn't quite what I was looking for!" (And I'm sure I'm as guilty as the rest of doing that!) 😁

Actually looks really good. Interesting about the pre-amp, kinda similar "nothing special" to what a couple of us have been feeling about the 735A's pre-amp. Maybe we've found the weak spot on otherwise great basses but something that's a non-issue on the purely passive ones?

Have you used Delano pups before? Not a big fan myself have to admit, based on my experience on my former Sandberg but, hey, that's just one person's view. EMG 40TWs on the other hand...

30 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

And I am one of those who like the BB735 preamp hahaha. 

I have not experienced with Delano, but I love how they sound on the Sandbergs. I am looking for a more modern sound, more humbucker-like. The EMGs look interesting too

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Some key reasons for playing a 5 string:

• allows you to play a number of songs an octave down, as compared to a 4 string, particularly those in Eb, D and C (I've not come across too many in the key of B);
  • it makes swapping to a different key a whole lot easier; 
  • there are a bunch of fretboard positional benefits from a 5 string and you'll be surprised how often you make use of the notes on the low B string further up the fretboard as well, not just the low Eb and below;
  • avoids needing to get a drop D tuner or retuning the bass mid set;
  • you can spend much less time faffing around looking for the perfect octave-down pedal;
  • the low B string provides a thumb rest and avoids unsightly wear marks next to the neck pup;
  • your band-mates (and of course the audience) won't notice you're playing a 5 string and not a 4 string unless you actually point it out to them. 

For your "correct authority return", in Box 5S, you need to set out clearly why none of the above is likely to apply to you. The most common reason given is: "But I prefer a 4 string". That seems to work.

I hope that helps.

I have to say my fave reason in this list is avoiding a drop D tuner - having something easy to install without drilling extra holes, useful, reliable and about 10 times less in price than a 5 string bass is something to be avoided.........

9 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I have experienced that. For example, I prefer my Jazz bass over my BB735 for solo, but not in the mix.

And I am one of those who like the BB735 preamp hahaha. 

I have not experienced with Delano, but I love how they sound on the Sandbergs. I am looking for a more modern sound, more humbucker-like. The EMGs look interesting too

Congrats on the new bass.

Please correct me if I am wrong but are they not Jazz shaped pick ups?

Unless you were getting the router out the EMG’s I think are soap bars and wouldn’t fit.

Delano defo have a good range of pick ups to choose from, and even if you don’t rout the world is your oyster with jazz style/shaped pick ups.

Glock pre’s are good, if you like that style but want to be a bit more aggressive look at Noll pre amps. The Aguilar OBP range is also great as are their pick ups.

Could go on for ever about different types and combinations but you’ll know what you want.

13 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Congrats on the new bass.

Please correct me if I am wrong but are they not Jazz shaped pick ups?

Unless you were getting the router out the EMG’s I think are soap bars and wouldn’t fit.

Delano defo have a good range of pick ups to choose from, and even if you don’t rout the world is your oyster with jazz style/shaped pick ups.

Glock pre’s are good, if you like that style but want to be a bit more aggressive look at Noll pre amps. The Aguilar OBP range is also great as are their pick ups.

Could go on for ever about different types and combinations but you’ll know what you want.

Now I'm more about Delano preamps than the Glock, but I'm still looking. I will look into Noll too! I don't know a lot of preamp manufacturers. I also like the Nordstrand, but they are hard to find in Spain.

About pickups, I like the Delano JMVC 5 FE/M2 (with big poles). However, I'm more concerned about the preamp. It's what I'm changing first. 

I have to say that I've been talking to a couple of bassists who use the BB605 regularly (I follow them on Youtube and Instagram) and their tone with the bass is pretty amazing. And they haven't modded their basses.

30 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

I have to say that I've been talking to a couple of bassists who use the BB605 regularly (I follow them on Youtube and Instagram) and their tone with the bass is pretty amazing. And they haven't modded their basses.

Change the strings first then take it from there!