Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks, but been there, done that and got the t-shirt 😉

However, one for you? 

I am currently dabbling in the world of 5 strings. I have one sat next to me currently. I'm not sure what I make of it. 
Pretty sure another 5 string isn't the answer to the question! 

is this the sort of thing you wore for Yamaha bass t-shirt? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-Short-Sleeve-T-shirt-White-w-Front-Pocket-w-Yamaha-Logo-Back-Bass-/233634030345 

19 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Yeah I definitely should have got myself one of those, although I might likely have made a spector of myself. I got one of these instead:

Humbucker II.png

Now I've gotta find myself a Humbucker t-shirt with just a P pup on it...proving surprisingly elusive for some reason.

Edited by Al Krow

14 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I am currently dabbling in the world of 5 strings. I have one sat next to me currently. I'm not sure what I make of it. 

The key is to remember that the extra string is primarily there as a thumb rest to avoid that ugly thumb wear you often see next to pups on basses.

14 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Pretty sure another 5 string isn't the answer to the question! 

Surely it depends on what the question was?

For example, if the question was: "what sort of bass did Al Krow buy after his previous 5 string?" that would be a perfectly good answer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah I definitely should have got myself one of those, although I might likely have made a spector of myself. I got one of these instead:

Humbucker II.png

Now I've gotta find myself a Humbucker t-shirt with just a P pup on it...proving surprisingly elusive for some reason.

like this? https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/P-style-pickups-by-rockylaber/16251208.G22WK 

ssrco,slim_fit_t_shirt,mens,e0e1dd:06443 

was your search showing you lots of juvenile dogs by any chance? :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

like this? https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/P-style-pickups-by-rockylaber/16251208.G22WK 

ssrco,slim_fit_t_shirt,mens,e0e1dd:06443 

was your search showing you lots of juvenile dogs by any chance? :D 

Close but no cigar - it needs to be a "Humbucker" t-shirt featuring a P pup, not called a "P-style pup" t-shirt, that's far too common usage by everyone on the planet.

Just found something I did some 20 years ago when the BB1000MA was quiet new to me.. just a diy-production and a little bit floppy.. the pic shows the bass during the recording.

Damn, I wonder what amp I did use back then...it must have been a Trace AH or maybe a Warwick ProTube or ProFet.. I remember the drummer used to amp up his drum kid in the rehearsal room that loud, that I sometimes was standing in front of my cab wondering if it went silent... 🙈 🤣
We gave up the project 'cause we could not find a singer that could cut through that sound... this was one of the smooth songs 😉

Song featuring Yamaha BB1000MA

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 2

Just come across an interesting old beastie up for sale, headstock says DT250 but a quick search is not bringing up anything, it's made in Japan with a low looking serial no.  001110, through neck with P only pups, any ideas?  Looks at lot like a BB1200, was DT250 a model number for a different country?

Edited by Booga13
spelling!

1 hour ago, Booga13 said:

Just come across an interesting old beastie up for sale, headstock says DT250 but a quick search is not bringing up anything, it's made in Japan with a low looking serial no.  001110, through neck with P only pups, any ideas?  Looks at lot like a BB1200, was DT250 a model number for a different country?

is the Yamaha DT250 a bike? 

31 minutes ago, Booga13 said:

That's what was mostly coming up in my searches but here's a few pics...

Yam DT250.jpg

yam dt 2.jpg

yam dt 3.jpg

yam dt 4.jpg

it's a BB1200 - an early 1977 one. I had one and it just had Ymaha and no model number on the headstock

Edited by LukeFRC

1 minute ago, LukeFRC said:

and @Booga13 - you should defiantly buy it! 

Very tempted but I REALLY need to be thinning the herd not growing it, if I hadn't just had an email from Mark at Limelight telling me that he's just completed my build I MAY have been able to justify it but not now😣

Link below for anyone else who's up for either a gamble or is close enough to the auction in Evesham to check it out in person, it's clearly had a life so may be a dud or at least need at lot of TLC

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/littleton-auctions/catalogue-id-srlit10167/lot-385ea3dd-8979-4839-90e5-acd1010f4632

Hope this isn;t breaking any forum rules, apologies if it is and please remove the link if so