Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The SB-2 would be the config I'd go for as it's classic PJ, however it seemed to get mixed reviews on TB

This is all purely what I've learnt from reading, so take it with a good pinch of salt....

The SB-2 is an odd design: firstly theres no tone control, just two volumes. Secondly, the bridge pickup is *really* close to the bridge: the idea seems to be that you add in some of the bridge pickup to the basic sound of the neck pickup as a flavouring. I guess some people find it frustrating. Both the SB-2 and the SB-1 are pure passive instruments.

The L-2000 is interesting in that it has an active/passive switch, but whether the active is on or off, the bass and treble knobs remain passive and only cut: the MFD humbuckers make a full rich tone across the spectrum and then you dampen what you want.

ps I'll shut up about G&L now! Back to BBs..... 😇

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I'm very flexible as far as the Switch Vs Blend debate goes (I have basses with both), it was more that the 2024 switch felt like a £5 switch on an otherwise fantastically-made instrument...I wouldn't be surprised to find it's the same one as on my 414, which at £180 second hand is much more the price range for a switch like that. It's also too big a hole to replace with a smaller, better-made switch... 😕

Absolutely.

I sold my 2024 to Chris (Beedster) quite some time ago now. The switch was a little bit hit and miss, something I put down to dirty contacts from lack of use. Something that was resolved by flicking it a few times. It turns out it was defective and Promenade Music sorted it FOC. 

Not up to the high standard of the bass otherwise methinks.

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 1

My head was getting fed up of my going back and forth between mm and inch, so I sat down with my calculator to make myself chart, so I don't need to think anymore.

Once I had done it, I realised that Yamaha's frequent sizes of 40mm and 43mm lie almost exactly in the middle of the gaps between 1½" and 1⅝" and 1¾"

(40mm: 100.8% of 1 & 9/16" ; 43mm: 100.3% of 1 & 11/16")

My head is so pleased to learn that it'll never have to think about this again 😅

On 10/02/2021 at 07:00, Fil1ip said:

So bass direct are saying last chance to get a BBPH? Does this mean they are the limited numbers that were stated originally? 

One on eBay for £1250, I always assumed used prices would be less until a few years down the line when they are hard to buy etc 

I think PMT maybe undersold the signed ones as they have put the price up from £899 to £959 for the 'normal' version.

I think I bought their last one yesterday.

• Like 2

Just now, Al Krow said:

I guess if you only think you bought it, then proper 'congratulations' should wait until we have some pics from you as proof! 😁

This is true.... Pics later! 

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I guess if you only think you bought it, then proper 'congratulations' should wait until we have some pics from you as proof! 😁

This is true..... Pics later today.

37 minutes ago, MirrorMan said:

Trouble is, I may well decide one BB isn't enough!!

Well if you're anything like the rest of us, I would be incredibly foolish to bet against that! 

Don't worry, if you check the OP to this thread there's plenty of space to add additional BBs if your collection grows 😉

What is slightly intriguing is the preponderance of BB owners with names / avatars beginning with M, which you're definitely a mirror of...

• Like 1

On 22/03/2017 at 14:24, Al Krow said:

More recent Yamaha BBs seem to use a YY-M format with the first 3 letters providing the date, but using the following code: H=1, I=2, J=3, K=4, L=5, M=6, N=7, O=8, P=9, Q=0, X=10, Y=11, Z=12

I've only just spotted this helpful little paragraph in the OP.

By this, my very fresh-looking BB424 is Jan 2012, which fits with the years of production.

And by it, my TRBX604FM is Nov 2017, 2 months before the instrument was announced, and 2½ years before I bought it. I guess the Yamaha Music Shop don't bother with stock rotation in their storeroom. (And why would you bother? Instruments weigh a lot, don't like being thrown around for the sake of it, and don't go off) 

42 minutes ago, EJWW said:

Rather tasty vintage white 2024X has appeared on fleabay for £1249. The GAS is rising once again... must.... resist! 

I was thinking the other day, if Yamaha continue the slightly different style of BB sound, then that will mean the 2024 will remain unsuperceded. Unsuperceded, impeccable quality, and zero fresh supply....does this mean that 2024s will never be as modestly priced as this again....?