Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Does the 235 have any qualities of its own compared to the 735A, or is it simply 5-string backup?

I think that's a slightly sore question, given that I encouraged him to get a 735A at the same time as I got mine! 

But it's having two 1200S that I find is just plain rude 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Does the 235 have any qualities of its own compared to the 735A, or is it simply 5-string backup?

I wrote a longish BB235 review in this thread a while back, also made some comparative comments on both. At the moment I enjoy the 235 more. I practise on it, it is the instrument I’m most likely to grab when I start writing a song, or just feel like playing something. The 735A gets playd at band rehearsals only, it fits the band in question (loud stoner/doom type thing) quite nicely. 

235 sounds great played clean, or with some modulation fx, or a bit of dirt. Its electronics have a bit more hiss than the 735A’s but that is probably the only real fault I’ve found. 735A likes dirt and behaves well at loud volumes, with octave, fuzz, distortion pedals into Darkglass MT900, but sounds a bit... neutral, almost boring, when clean. It could be the preamp, or the pickups - or the strings: it’s had the same Rotosound Flats set on from day one, and I’ve just started thinking they might not be the ideal strings for it. I’ve used and loved them on both my BB1200S’s (and I very much wished the 735A would turn out to be the 5-string 1200S, which it clearly is not), but they don’t seem to fit here. 

Now, I’ve been waiting for my order of Ernie Ball Cobalt Flat single B-strings since october and when they arrive, I’ll be able to reach the final verdict. I hope. Love those strings on every 4-stringer I’ve tried (passive, active, fretless, fretted), going to set up both 5ers with them and see what happens. 

Guess I didn’t really answer your question here, did I?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I think that's a slightly sore question, given that I encouraged him to get a 735A at the same time as I got mine! 

But it's having two 1200S that I find is just plain rude 😁

Yes, my friend, it is all your fault. 😄 

Does it ease your pain at all that one of the 1200S’s has a hideous routing for a bridge J pickup, and an EMG P/J set, missing its original P pickup? 

If anybody has a spare BB1000S bridge pickup lying around, even non-functional, or just the pickup cover, I’m very, very interested. I could make the routing even bigger and even uglier. Drunk at 3 am, with a blunt rusty knife and a hammer, in a dark shed...

1A799C3E-5607-4DB7-A36B-1D36E1267006.jpeg

26 minutes ago, MattiZ said:

I wrote a longish BB235 review in this thread a while back, also made some comparative comments on both.

"The BB235 was much better than expected. It had really good setup, and with Rotosound Monel Flats is a joy to play. The cheap ceramic PU’s are loud, clear and well balanced. Just one thing: the neck has too much of a D profile, I never liked those that much.

"On the other hand, the BB735A is not any better than I expected. In fact I had great expectations for it, maybe even too much. The setup was not good: some sharpish fret ends, nut so high I took it to a luthier friend for filing it down (even he made comments on the setup). The pickups are nothing special, and compared to both my BB1200S’s, the preamp sounds, well, quite generic. But: the neck has a lovely C profile, just slightly thicker with less shoulders than the BB235, exactly how I like it. 

"Only played one band rehearsal with each yet. For now, I prefer the cheap BB235 - well, I’ve played it a few months already, the BB735A is brand new. Guess it takes a couple months to reach a verdict here"

57 minutes ago, MattiZ said:

Yes, my friend, it is all your fault. 😄 

Does it ease your pain at all that one of the 1200S’s has a hideous routing for a bridge J pickup, and an EMG P/J set, missing its original P pickup? 

Very much so, thank you. I will sleep well for the first time in a long time, tonight.

• Like 1

It is a bit unusual to compare a 4 and a 5 string plus from different periods. But nice to hear both basses though! It does confirm my feelings I have for the oder range. The 414 does "my tone" a little bit better in the video for me. And I have to say...I love the old, bigger shape way better but...I am bigger too...  😛    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Same as the bb1600 but Japanese domestic model (I think) had VVT rather than VT switch 

Peering at that picture, I was sure the nut looked 40mm rather than the 43mm usual back then, and googling found me this list on the TB BB thread years ago:

Model Year Country Nut 12th fret
BB300 1984 Taiwan 43mm 58mm
BB300 1985 Taiwan 43mm 58mm
BB1200 1979 Japan 43mm 58mm
BB1200S 1985 Japan 43mm 58mm
BB1600 1984 Japan 40mm 57mm
BB1600 1984 Japan 40mm 57mm
BB1600 1990 Taiwan 40mm 57mm
BB2000 1982 Japan 43mm 58mm
BB2000 1984 Japan 43mm 58mm
BB5000 1985 Japan 44mm 59mm

So bass direct are saying last chance to get a BBPH? Does this mean they are the limited numbers that were stated originally? 

One on eBay for £1250, I always assumed used prices would be less until a few years down the line when they are hard to buy etc 

I think PMT maybe undersold the signed ones as they have put the price up from £899 to £959 for the 'normal' version.

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Might be an idea for me to wait until I've got an income other than Rishi Sunak handouts 😬

What's the actual make / model of the metallic ruby bass you've shown? I have to agree it's a very good looking finish!