Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

Thats me back in the club. Just got a BB 434, sunburst, rosewood from GG. The itch had to be scratched!

Congrats! Is that identical to the one you very recently sold or a different model or finish? Obligatory pics of course, please?

The previous one was a black 434 with the terrible cream scratch plate but that was 2018 I think. The last one was a black 734 in 2020 but I didn`t give it much of a chance on reflection. It won`t be here till Saturday. I have shipped a few out the door recently so it about time something came in.B|

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

The previous one was a black 434 with the terrible cream scratch plate but that was 2018 I think. The last one was a black 734 in 2020 but I didn`t give it much of a chance on reflection. It won`t be here till Saturday. I have shipped a few out the door recently so it about time something came in.B|

Yeah know what you mean...I'm also in the ridiculous position of being in surplus on my gear account for the first time since I took up the bass. NAMM 2021 was a bit of a damp squib I guess completely understandably, and even the recent PH is missing a string... 

5 hours ago, gobasserk said:

By the way, this is a copy of the BB1000MA pick up ring. The original one is made from diecast nickel-plated steel, the copy from aluminum. The lightweight of that thing in comparison is freaky 😛

BBRahmenAlu.jpeg

You could easily sell these, if you set yourself up in business

Since I received my 424 I've been especially taken by the sound of the two pickups together. The neck on its own seems a tiny bit indistinct, the bridge alone a bit too harsh, but combined: perfect.

I've just realised that the bass has been deliberately set up to make the most of the two pickups combined: the bridge pickup is noticeably closer to the strings. Someone has gone to the effort of getting the blend just right 🥰 And the strings fitted (I believe they're RS66s) seem chosen to complement that sound.

• Like 1