Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Is the preamp in the 735a the same as the one in the TRBX504/505/604/605?

Yes and no, I can't speak for the 735a but the TRBX5/6 series have the same preamp but tweaked centre point frequencies for the controls compensate for the TRBX5 being made of mahogany and the TRBX6 being made of alder/maple

• Thanks 1

I've kinda wondered whether I should have kept my 735A and just swapped the preamp with a John East 3 band. 

But I guess I already have several really good active basses and suspect I may still have picked up my 1025 at every opportunity! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I've kinda wondered whether I should have kept my 735A and just swapped the preamp with a John East 3 band. 

But I guess I already have several really good active basses and suspect I may still have picked up my 1025 at every opportunity! 

The beauty of the East Uni Pre is that a passive tone can be included giving all the benefits of active/passive with a decent blend.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

My mistake. I wanted to say that I had the 1025x on my radar hahaha. 

Ah that makes much better sense now! :) 

55 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Is the preamp in the 735a the same as the one in the TRBX504/505/604/605?

Actually that's a really interesting point. I think you mentioned that your 424 sounded much more "alive" than your TRBX, hmmm...seems there may be a bit pattern then if the 735A is using the same preamp?

Yep, I've replaced all the preamps in all my gigging basses with John East Retro/Uni-Pre ones. Not only are they the very best preamps out there, it also means I've got a standard set of controls when I look down mid-gig, and I know exactly what does what...

If I still had my 3000A, I'd have put a John East in there a good while ago...the only thing I'd do to the 414 (other than possibly put Ultralight tuners on it) would be to put a P-Retro on it, but they don't make them any more...

1 minute ago, Muzz said:

Yep, I've replaced all the preamps in all my gigging basses with John East Retro/Uni-Pre ones. Not only are they the very best preamps out there, it also means I've got a standard set of controls when I look down mid-gig, and I know exactly what does what...

If I still had my 3000A, I'd have put a John East in there a good while ago...the only thing I'd do to the 414 (other than possibly put Ultralight tuners on it) would be to put a P-Retro on it, but they don't make them any more...

When I last spoke to John (quite recently) he was trying to source re-chargeable batteries for the P Retro so they aren't not made, just not available at the moment.

5 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

When I last spoke to John (quite recently) he was trying to source re-chargeable batteries for the P Retro so they aren't not made, just not available at the moment.

Oooo, that's good news...I have a couple of recipient basses in mind...

• Like 1

Right I`m going to throw myself on the mercy of the BB collective. As the GAS is strong and a RicinB*stard is now out the window, a BB may be in the frame.

Had a BB 434 - nice bass, BB 735a - wasnt keen on the black finish and didn`t really give it much of a chance.

But I have been looking at a BBP34 but is it worth almost twice the price of the 735a? Or is it worth almost 3 times the price of a 434? All 3 under consideration are sunburst ish.

Of course being a fickle bampot, I may change my mind and get something else entirely! But it gives us something to talk about.

Edited by jezzaboy
Being a pillock!
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Right I`m going to throw myself on the mercy of the BB collective. As the GAS is strong and a RicinB*stard is now out the window, a BB may be in the frame.

Had a BB 343 - nice bass, BB 735a - wasnt keen on the black finish and didn`t really give it much of a chance.

But I have been looking at a BBP34 but is it worth almost twice the price of the 735a? Or is it worth almost 3 times the price of a 434? All 3 under consideration are sunburst ish.

Of course being a fickle bampot, I may change my mind and get something else entirely! But it gives us something to talk about.

Well a BB 343 would certainly, absolutely, no question, totally, all night long give us something to talk about...but we know what you meant 😁

• Haha 2

Did Bunny Brunel have zero input into the design of the Yamaha Broad Bass range?

Partly asking because I find myself strangely drawn to both the Carvin BBs (Bunny Brunel) in the FS. Probably 'cos they are neck through, look great, and have the same initials as the Yamaha BBs (Broad Bass) which you all know I'm a huge fan of. And they do have a passing body shape resemblance to the Yammy BBs too, agreed?

Any of you good folk perchance come across Carvin BBs in your travels?

Edited by Al Krow

18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

So I guess the starting point is for you to spill the beans on what you felt your 343434343...434 was missing?

Apart from a low B string 😁

Can`t remember. It was a black one and the cream scratch plate put me off, sounds daft but hey any excuse to move onto something new. 

I`m going between the 434 and 734, I think the 34 is a bit too much cash.

33 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

I`m going between the 434 and 734, I think the 34 is a bit too much cash.

You're giving me FAR too many open goals JB! 

Do I resist saying would that be first 34 or the second 34, or just any old 34 sir?

😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Did Bunny Brunel have zero input into the design of the Yamaha Broad Bass range?

Partly asking because I find myself strangely drawn to both the Carvin BBs (Bunny Brunel) in the FS. Probably 'cos they are neck through, look great, and have the same initials as the Yamaha BBs (Broad Bass) which you all know I'm a huge fan of. And they do have a passing body shape resemblance to the Yammy BBs too, agreed?

Any of you good folk perchance come across Carvin BBs in your travels?

seeing as the first items on his wikipedia discography are from after the first Yamaha BB came out.... I doubt it.
Did you have any input in design of the AK47? 

Out of interest - if we all were having this discussion in a pub do you verbally call Yamaha "Yammy" as well as write it? 

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

seeing as the first items on his wikipedia discography are from after the first Yamaha BB came out.... I doubt it.

Fair enough. I just recall someone mentioning him before on this thread (might have been me 😁)

3 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Did you have any input in design of the AK47? 

Due to the terms of my NDA, I'm not at liberty to discuss this further.

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Out of interest - if we all were having this discussion in a pub do you verbally call Yamaha "Yammy" as well as write it? 

Absolutely, probably more so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I know folk who have Yamaha bikes and a few with outboard engines and I don't think I've ever heard them referred to as "Yammy".