Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, therealting said:

Having sold my 435 last week to finance an upgrade to a dream Yamaha, I am sadly now BB-less too. @Happypants seems very happy with it though!

Your 435 did look excellent. I'm sensing it's kinda the direct successor to the 1025 in the same way that the P35 is to the 2025. It's as though they have deliberately sought to make each Yamaha bass in the new "Series 3" range that bit more affordable than the original price of their corresponding "Series 2" equivalents.

So 2025 --> P35

No Series 2 equivalent to 735A

1025 --> 435

425 --> 235

I know I've bored everyone senseless with how good I think the 1025 is! But given my view of the connection between the 1025 and 435, I actually suggested to a mate of mine who was interested in my 735A to have a think about getting your 435 instead. Too late now, but glad it's gone to good home.

So what's the dream Yamaha you're getting?

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Your 435 did look excellent.

I know I've bored everyone senseless with how good I think the 1025 is! But given my view of the connection between the 1025 and 435, I actually suggested to a mate of mine who was interested in my 735A to have a think about getting your 435 instead. Too late now, but glad it's gone to good home.

So what's the dream Yamaha you're getting?

The 435 I had was unusually good, I’d tried quite a few and this one was special. I also paid a fair bit to have the fingerboard rolled, and had the frets levelled and dressed by my favourite techs at Feline Guitars, so it is a bass in as-new condition that plays way better than a new one.

I got an early 90s mk1 TRB-5P with John East electronics on this very forum, the bass I dreamed about as a teenager after falling in love with a Abraham Laboriel’s playing. We couldn’t afford it at the time, but my dad managed to negotiate a crazy good price on a floor-model TRB6 that was my first bass and that I still have (and have upgraded with a Glockenklang pre).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

If anyone is looking to buy a bb Peter Hook  thomann are selling them for £769 and they are saying Avilable immediately.

Yamaha shop in London has them listed for £915, and are open to having a go at lowering prices. Iacopo there is very friendly and chatty and helpful.

BB PH Yamaha London

Edited by Ricky Rioli

54 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

These and everything else I've been selling recently have been to fund a custom build by Andyjr1515! :sun_bespectacled:

The pricing is very reasonable, but I went for some expensive pickups, and, well... no work since March...

Sounds amazing!

28 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

Sorry I didn’t see the VAT all I saw was the £769 thought it was cheap.

Yeah 20% VAT to add on to Thomann's net pricing, although overall the "gross" price should be pretty much what it was before. A lot of discussion on the general forum. Key impacts are:

- when importing new goods from EU to UK, shouldn't have to pay any more overall i.e. still 20% VAT.

HOWEVER if you need to return the goods to Thomann it could be a paperwork ball-ache to get the VAT element back.

- buying used goods from EU sellers: UK buyers are going to have to pay 20% VAT on top for the first time which IS an actual additional cost and is going to make buying from EU sellers expensive. Same point the other way round with UK sales of used goods to EU buyers. This is going to have a chilling effect on cross border UK <--> EU sales of used gear, which is a real shame. 

On a happier note...I think we just passed 5000 replies on this thread!! Turning into the most popular BC bass topic of all time. Here's to Yamaha BBs 🥂👍

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

Actually, - having owned quiet a few BB's (and even the 300 models) I am surprised about the sound and the building quality of that cheap BB version and wonder why I don't own more 300's. 

It is heavier than the 414/424 models and feels very different. Saying this, I want to state that I love the 400series too. Maybe it's the wood that they used back then, I don' know. 

Talking about the Brexit consequences... well that is a shame like the whole thing. I don't mean it political but I just love anything about England, have a lot of friends there and I don't like the fact that we as normal people "have to pay the price" . In this case in a very obvious way.  But back to BBs...  Can we convince Yamaha to bring back some old finishes or maybe cool new ones? And the pickup rings... I want them back, at least as a spare part... never understood why they stopped! 🙂  
An official BB signature bass would be the shape of the 1000MA/3000MA in a red like the 300 or even metallic... wow... 🙂 

• Like 1

I'd love for us to be able to influence Yamaha - but in practice how would we go about convincing Yamaha to do anything? I know that this particular thread has 100+ followers, but I'm guessing that is a tiny number in the scheme of things...

"An official BB signature bass would be the shape of the 1000MA/3000MA in a red like the 300 or even metallic... wow... 🙂" And with a 5 string option too, please! 

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'd love for us to be able to influence Yamaha - but in practice how would we go about convincing Yamaha to do anything? I know that this particular thread has 100+ followers, but I'm guessing that is a tiny number in the scheme of things...

"An official BB signature bass would be the shape of the 1000MA/3000MA in a red like the 300 or even metallic... wow... 🙂" And with a 5 string option too, please! 

I wish we could influence them... I'd love a BBPH in sunburst to match my BB1200...