Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

We could easily fall out!!!!!  😄   Have never liked slap, at a push Mark King on a couple of numbers but would never play slap or entertain it...!   It's not me, respect people that do like it but really not my style.  Les Pattinson (Echo and the B'men) , Phil Lynott, bit of Lemmy........ Curt Whatsisname - Tears for Fears....

Fair enough! I guess I mentally associate headless basses with Mark King's Statii. I mean who else is first and foremost famous for playing like a headless chicken, besides him (particularly in the 80s?) 😁

Plenty of other incredible slap bass players of course, but I don't link them with headless basses in the same way.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Fair enough! I guess I mentally associate headless basses with Mark King's Statii. I mean who else is first and foremost famous for playing like a headless chicken, besides him (particularly in the 80s?) 😁

Plenty of other incredible slap bass players of course, but I don't link them with headless basses in the same way.

Agree, nothing against slap but not my style really......

On 09/11/2020 at 21:48, MattiZ said:

I wish there was an obvious answer to that question.

The BB235 was much better than expected. It had really good setup, and with Rotosound Monel Flats is a joy to play. The cheap ceramic PU’s are loud, clear and well balanced. Just one thing: the neck has too much of a D profile, I never liked those that much.

On the other hand, the BB735A is not any better than I expected. In fact I had great expectations for it, maybe even too much. The setup was not good: some sharpish fret ends, nut so high I took it to a luthier friend for filing it down (even he made comments on the setup). The pickups are nothing special, and compared to both my BB1200S’s, the preamp sounds, well, quite generic. But: the neck has a lovely C profile, just slightly thicker with less shoulders than the BB235, exactly how I like it. 

Only played one band rehearsal with each yet. For now, I prefer the cheap BB235 - well, I’ve played it a few months already, the BB735A is brand new. Guess it takes a couple months to reach a verdict here! 

So MattiZ, dear chap, I have just moved on the BB 735A I bought a few days after you (it sold on eBay within 48 hours of my listing it there). I was recalling this post of yours and thinking just how much I now agree with what you said.

Like you, I definitely seem to prefer my purely passive BB (in your case the entry level of the current line up, BB 235, and in my case a BB1025) over the active circuit 735A. That was my second 735A and this one was definitely set up pretty well from the outset.  But there was just something not quite as special about the active tone on the bass compared to richness of both the P and J on the passive 1025. I appreciate that I'm very much of the view that the BB1025 is a frankly superb 5er particularly for the money and that it sets a very high bar, but I wonder if this is boiling down to your very insightful observation about the 735A that "the preamp sounds, well, quite generic". 

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The 41x and 43x have painted headstocks, the 42x do not. Is this because they were wanting to show off the laminated necks?

Probably

Beeing away a bit from the BB front I just could not resist buying a very cool dark red BB300 with reversed pickups (as my beloves 1000MA's) The bass will arrive next week. I have plans to upgrade it to look even better... 🙂 

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

Beeing away a bit from the BB front I just could not resist buying a very cool red BB300 with reversed pickups (as my beloves 1000MA's) The bass will arrive next week. I have plans to upgrade it to look even better... 🙂 

Am I correct in thinking there are sadly NO 5 string BBs with the reversed pups?

Well, the new member of my BB family has arrived today. It's red is even more beautiful than from the pics. I thing gold hardware will fit very well.... Super low action ! NICE! 

Edit: Even the pickup rings of the 1000MA should fit... Put a ring on a 300 before, looks killer! 

YBB300ak.jpeg

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, gobasserk said:

Well, the new member of my BB family has arrived today. It's red is even more beautiful than from the pics. I thing gold hardware will fit very well.... Super low action ! NICE! 

YBB300ak.jpeg

My first proper Yamaha was a BB300 what a bass ... I had two... one like yours and one with the shorter horns...they're worth every penny!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gobasserk said:

The bass was not expensive and the seller was quiet irritated that I did not aks for a better price. Just bought it for his price on ebay. 😛 

Why does my 'BB300' alert never pickup BB300's?

Well I put the 300 into my small rehersal combo and recorded via smatohone. It has  very nice, very dry tone. Ideal to work with effects later on. 
Good decision. I wanted to change the bridge, but the bidge is not a std one...

https://soundcloud.com/user987060971/bb300_012021/s-7IPIRKL2p8u

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 1