Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

17 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Haha, buy mine and lets get one to a good home 😉

I advertised mine at a loss, but when people offer 50% off that 'for a quick sale' its no wonder im sticking to my guns, especially when i know full well when that cab gets sold on it will be for a much higher price than the person paid from me. We all have a choice though, but those that try it on can definitely do one in my book.

and ive seen this happen with a bass i sold on here years ago.

Aye it’s pretty common place but usually on other marketplace type sites. If I’ve nabbed a great deal on here I usually try and shift it locally. One reason being it might be a bit cheeky to sell it on the same site where the bargain was found and it can appear in bad taste but as has been mentioned most folk look at how good the deal is for them at that time and aren’t gonna start searching the for sale threads to see if the similar item has been listed for a similar price. 

edit

thanks for the offer of taking your cab but even with 50% off the asking price I might be shiftding my gear soon too. Less and less likely tht there will be meaningful gigs in the near future and now that I’ve moved what was once a local gig is now a 60 mile round trip. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, krispn said:

bad taste

edit

thanks for the offer of taking your cab but even with 50% off the asking price I might be shiftding my gear soon too. Less and less likely tht there will be meaningful gigs in the near future and now that I’ve moved what was once a local gig is now a 60 mile round trip. 

I think thats it. Nothing wrong, and if the deal is good for the buyer its all good, but some could see it as 'not sporting'. In that case just walk away.

I would have an issue with someone beating me down on price, and then selling it for much higher just after.

Im 100% optimistic ill be gigging again. it will just take a while. My sell off is purely because i changed instruments so dont need a bass rig, and lost my job. In fact ill probably be gigging before working at this rate.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Personally it doesn’t really bother me if I’ve bought something and I’m happy with the price and someone has made a little profit.  
That’s fine in my book but some peoples mark up is ridiculous. Especially when they are buying something just to spin and make a profit on and that means somebody missing out on an item they really want.

• Like 2

So.......... I bought my BB1100s for 300 pounds...............should i miss out on making a profit or pass that profit onto someone else?  Everyone likes to make a profit, it allows them to upgrade their kit.  Interpretation is the theme here, and the fear of not maximising their return.  All markets are cyclical - at the moment it's a buyers market.  I have bought three basses off this site, negotiated with each purchase so that both parties were happy.

The other forum that says you have to sell for what you paid are rules commonly generated by cartels.............

Interesting to see human nature coming into this discussion

15 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I think thats it. Nothing wrong, and if the deal is good for the buyer its all good, but some could see it as 'not sporting'. In that case just walk away.

I would have an issue with someone beating me down on price, and then selling it for much higher just after.

Im 100% optimistic ill be gigging again. it will just take a while. My sell off is purely because i changed instruments so dont need a bass rig, and lost my job. In fact ill probably be gigging before working at this rate.

It’s not that I don’t think there’ll be gigs. If the lockdown got lifted tomorrow the bar we have our ‘residency’ at (3 gigs on average per month) would be on the blower booking us up for the year. It’s just my options are now to do the 60 mile round trip for the show or make sure I’m at work on the day of the gig and play after work. Thing is some days after 13 hours working in a medium secure forensic psychiatric ward and then a gig combined with being awake for 18-19 hours does make me think it’s not entirely worth the hassle 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProfJames said:

So.......... I bought my BB1100s for 300 pounds...............should i miss out on making a profit or pass that profit onto someone else?  Everyone likes to make a profit, it allows them to upgrade their kit.  Interpretation is the theme here, and the fear of not maximising their return.  All markets are cyclical - at the moment it's a buyers market.  I have bought three basses off this site, negotiated with each purchase so that both parties were happy.

The other forum that says you have to sell for what you paid are rules commonly generated by cartels.............

Interesting to see human nature coming into this discussion

Sell for whatever you want. I think on here people are aware of what's what, so if the price is set high, it might take longer.

If you arent out of pocket then why not pass on the good deal that you got? On the other hand, if you can make some money, then why not lol?

The fact that you have said it only cost £300 might go against a quick sale now though if you do price it much higher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Have to say if I see a bass for sale that I am interested in the question in my mind is 'do I want to pay the asking price?' not 'How much did the seller buy if for?'  So far as I can see, that is irrelevant.

Pretty much the same for me, I know up to how much I’ll pay for something, whatever it cost the seller isn’t really my concern. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Sell for whatever you want. I think on here people are aware of what's what, so if the price is set high, it might take longer.

If you arent out of pocket then why not pass on the good deal that you got? On the other hand, if you can make some money, then why not lol?

The fact that you have said it only cost £300 might go against a quick sale now though if you do price it much higher.

Again it's human nature.....pass on the good deal that I got?  That was the going rate at the time.  That wasn't a "good" deal it was the right price at the time.  I only sell on to improve my kit or if something takes a fancy.  If I was to sell there are several sites, forums or trades that can be achieved.  If the price of the bass is right then potential buyers will be happy.  Win/Win situation for all.  Bu if you apply my purchase price to what I resell it for then why are early Fenders going for thousands?  I agree with your principles but unfortunately in the old light of day you sell at the current market values.........

1 minute ago, marleaux62 said:

If someone say bought a Wal bass new on 1980 for a few hundred and is now selling it for £3000 that’s fine if that’s what it’s worth. My problem is when someone buys today because it’s cheap and next week it’s being sold again for a big profit. 

Those people are called dealers or speculators.

3 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

If someone say bought a Wal bass new on 1980 for a few hundred and is now selling it for £3000 that’s fine if that’s what it’s worth. My problem is when someone buys today because it’s cheap and next week it’s being sold again for a big profit. 

This is spot on. You cant compare a vintage instrument that is apparently worth £1000's, to someone getting a cheap deal on a bass and then selling it for twice as much. Dont get me started on the Squier JV 'scam' lol.

I agree you sell at market value if you can, but if you brought at below market value then you need to make the call if you sell for profit, or pass on your good fortune to others. im not sure how the argument goes that you are selling at market value, when someone sold to you at below that. if someone else can do it.....

4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is spot on. You cant compare a vintage instrument that is apparently worth £1000's, to someone getting a cheap deal on a bass and then selling it for twice as much. Dont get me started on the Squier JV 'scam' lol.

I agree you sell at market value if you can, but if you brought at below market value then you need to make the call if you sell for profit, or pass on your good fortune to others. im not sure how the argument goes that you are selling at market value, when someone sold to you at below that. if someone else can do it.....

Basic rules of capitalism could be quoted.  Not aware of the  scam so can't comment.  So, if someone advertises a bass for 300 and you know it's market vale is 900 what do you do?   A BB1100s is vintage...... not sure that rule applies.

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I think the question is more about ethic's than the price itself.

Oh I get that Dave, personally if I buy something on here if I sell it I’ll only look to recoup what I spent, even if market value means I could get more for it.

However if an item was up at correct market value that I wanted it wouldn’t bother me if the seller was making a profit on it.

So in summary, I’ll never become rich via buying/selling on Basschat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Oh I get that Dave, personally if I buy something on here if I sell it I’ll only look to recoup what I spent, even if market value means I could get more for it.

However if an item was up at correct market value that I wanted it wouldn’t bother me if the seller was making a profit on it.

So in summary, I’ll never become rich via buying/selling on Basschat.

It's odd one. Imagine you've got a Precision bass you're selling. Cost you £400, probably could sell it for £800.
Years back on Basschat you would probably sell it to me for £400 sorta Basschat-rate. 
More and more over the years though those low priced sales I see bought on here and then flipped the next week on eBay or facebook for £800 
So what would be best for you to do? 

• Like 1

Crikey this has gone further than expected, my point of view was for me mucker Andy.

That case was bought for £211 to flip for a profit - nowt wrong in that, good work if you can do it, and 5 days later can make a profit of £64 with very little hassle and a local buyer. Maybe it’s just me, but hold out for £20 squid more, and have the potential postage hassle, packing, hopefully not getting lost/damaged?! - I’d go for the quicker easier sale if it was me selling that one!

The one about market forces, rare factor, vintage are a different ball game altogether - most things wont have a 10-50% increase in price as a second/third hand owned product inside a few months.

Researching latest price for a product is part of the buying and selling game, and both parties do it, but should be realistic - I had a nice transaction with someone where I evidenced the same product, newer, guarantees, in stock etc at the same price - we came to a decent agreement. Would be nice if Royal Mail actually delivered it!

It is what it is though, or what you make of it

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Crikey this has gone further than expected, my point of view was for me mucker Andy.

That case was bought for £211 to flip for a profit - nowt wrong in that, good work if you can do it, and 5 days later can make a profit of £64 with very little hassle and a local buyer. Maybe it’s just me, but hold out for £20 squid more, and have the potential postage hassle, packing, hopefully not getting lost/damaged?! - I’d go for the quicker easier sale if it was me selling that one!

The one about market forces, rare factor, vintage are a different ball game altogether - most things wont have a 10-50% increase in price as a second/third hand owned product inside a few months.

Researching latest price for a product is part of the buying and selling game, and both parties do it, but should be realistic - I had a nice transaction with someone where I evidenced the same product, newer, guarantees, in stock etc at the same price - we came to a decent agreement. Would be nice if Royal Mail actually delivered it!

It is what it is though, or what you make of it

Agree with you.  To be harsh - it's no one else's business and you do not have the need to justify.  It all balances out in the end.  The bass version of Bargain Hunt !!

• Like 1

Just now, ProfJames said:

Agree with you.  To be harsh - it's no one else's business and you do not have the need to justify.  It all balances out in the end.  The bass version of Bargain Hunt !!

So do I qualify for a Masters now?

A 3rd agreement and surely it’s a PHD and maybe a professorial chair like yourself?!

• Haha 1

Just now, Cuzzie said:

So do I qualify for a Masters now?

A 3rd agreement and surely it’s a PHD and maybe a professorial chair like yourself?!

It doesn't need a Phd to deciphir my name!   Some good ethical points discussed o this thread. However.....why has the BB1100s gone up so much in price?? 😅

Semaj Forp - I knew it was you - little tinker

1 minute ago, ProfJames said:

It doesn't need a Phd to deciphir my name!   Some good ethical points discussed o this thread. However.....why has the BB1100s gone up so much in price?? 😅

As for price variations - anyone’s guess - likely folklore gets perpetuated and it gathers moss.

For example, nowt against a JV Squier ‘83 - love em - but they are good because all else from Fender was so bad - some have holy grail prices

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Usual supply and demand I suspect, nothing more sinister. Sometimes just a short term thing.

Be interesting to ask your mate whether he would consider a used 734A instead? I'd be interested/surprised if the 1100S was actually the better instrument. But obviously the 734A is a current production model and not a collectible in the same way as the 1100S.

Wal for me is interesting one. There's a lot of gutted former owners who sold theirs for a song a couple of decades back...

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Semaj Forp - I knew it was you - little tinker

As for price variations - anyone’s guess - likely folklore gets perpetuated and it gathers moss.

For example, nowt against a JV Squier ‘83 - love em - but they are good because all else from Fender was so bad - some have holy grail prices

Thanks @cuzzie    it bemused me because last Feb I wanted one and shopped around on all the relevant sites, the costs were approx 300 - 450...........and now!  Not really my chosen bass either as I am fortunate to have several basses which I would go to in preference.  Reverb I find to be incredibly expensive.  eBay is caveat emptor for most things.  Just need to shop around.............

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Usual supply and demand I suspect, nothing more sinister. Sometimes just a short term thing.

Be interesting to ask your mate whether he would consider a used 734A instead? I'd be interested/surprised if the 1100S was actually the better instrument. But obviously the 734A is a current production model and not a collectible in the same way as the 1100S.

Wal for me is interesting one. There's a lot of gutted former owners who sold theirs for a song a couple of decades back...

Good point with the Yamaha choice.  Will get him to look at the range.  Never met a disappointed Yamaha owner and I'm just about to acquire another Yam when I sort shipping.

Just now, ProfJames said:

Good point with the Yamaha choice.  Will get him to look at the range.  Never met a disappointed Yamaha owner and I'm just about to acquire another Yam when I sort shipping.

Cool! Which one are you getting?