Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

26 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I’m guessing that one is Taiwanese? 

Yeah, have just seen it on FB marketplace and it’s Taiwan.

fuming, overall...if I wasn’t as skint, I’d just pay the guy via eBay.

but he’s got it cheaply... and has it for 2 prices on 2 platforms and I’ve basically offered him the FB marketplace price...and he’s pissing about.

4.7 miles away too.

Edited by AndyTravis

8 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Yeah, have just seen it on FB marketplace and it’s Taiwan.

fuming, overall...if I wasn’t as skint, I’d just pay the guy via eBay.

but he’s got it cheaply... and has it for 2 prices on 2 platforms and I’ve basically offered him the FB marketplace price...and he’s pissing about.

4.7 miles away too.

I can see the frustration, he’s got a good mark up for a bass to flip and no hassle of posting either.

Its good that you don’t see that sort of thing on the marketplace here, people are pretty honest for moving stuff on the same price they bought it if they had a good deal originally 

• Like 1

It's an interesting one.

It's not like we're selling a life saving vaccine here (and on that score it's wonderful that Oxford / AZ are selling their vaccine at cost and for a lot less than what some of the other vaccines are being sold for).

I often list things at different prices on different platforms (typically a bit more on eBay than on here not least because I have extra costs on there).

And if you manage to find a bargain why shouldn't you sell it on for the market price if your item is actually worth more than you bought it for or your item becomes fashionable (Wal basses) or market conditions change and the £ falls and retail prices go up etc. 

For me "honesty" is about making you sure you describe the item accurately and don't try to pass off something defective as being fine. What price you list it for is your choice - no one is forced to pay what you're asking for it.

Wasn’t there a big fuss quite a while back about someone listing an original OC-2 for a really high price and loads of folk piling on the for sale thread criticising the asking price? Folks were chiming in about cost, cheaper alternatives etc which on a for sale thread isn’t allowed in the bc rules I think or certainly not appropriate. Not that the bc rules appear to always apply or people feeling like they’re somehow exempt. 
It’s come up before and it’ll come up again no doubt but if someone wants to list an item for more then they paid it’s up to the buyer to decide if it’s a good deal irrespective of the platform. 

Back on topic...

Yamahas are good eh!

Edited by krispn
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It's not like we're selling a life saving vaccine here (and on that score it's wonderful that Oxford / AZ are selling their vaccine at cost and for a lot less than what some of the other vaccines are being sold for).

I understand wanting to use the reference as it’s topical, but big pharma is a poor example to call upon.

Yes some companies/healthcare/medicines/research etc are set up to be not for profit (Nuffield health private hospitals/gyms as an example) where what they generate goes back in.

Others, unfortunately it becomes a tricky situation. Often when medicines are first released they are more expensive, but then they decrease in cost over time. To get a new medicine made, tested and out there costs a huge amount of money. Profit from one is often pumped into financing the next one in whatever field and vaccines are not the only life saving/elongating/changing medicines these companies will do.

New tech inevitably costs money, Ox/Jenn are using established tech they have been working on for many years with a twist and hence it will always be cheaper. Efficacy etc is always a  debate but they are both effective products in this instance.

I used to be on a forum for something completely different, nothing to do with music. There was an admirable convention that you should sell on the forum for no more than what you paid.  Policing it though caused an enormous amount of bad blood. The net benefit to the happiness of the forum was negative.

6 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I understand wanting to use the reference as it’s topical, but big pharma is a poor example to call upon.

Yes some companies/healthcare/medicines/research etc are set up to be not for profit (Nuffield health private hospitals/gyms as an example) where what they generate goes back in.

Others, unfortunately it becomes a tricky situation. Often when medicines are first released they are more expensive, but then they decrease in cost over time. To get a new medicine made, tested and out there costs a huge amount of money. Profit from one is often pumped into financing the next one in whatever field and vaccines are not the only life saving/elongating/changing medicines these companies will do.

New tech inevitably costs money, Ox/Jenn are using established tech they have been working on for many years with a twist and hence it will always be cheaper. Efficacy etc is always a  debate but they are both effective products in this instance.

Yeah, fully accept your points but they're no Yamaha BB1100s basses!   As for the Jap/Taiwan build models.......cannot see or hear any difference.  Taiwan is known as a reputable build country in woodwind instruments and I could hear no difference when playing Jap or Taiwanese bb1100 basses.  

Yamaha BB110s v Bit Coin..................mmmmm

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

As I understand it the Oxford/AZ one is cheaper cos it’s cheaper To make. I’m pretty sure it’s being sold cost to poorer nations and there will be a small profit for rich nations like ourselves. 

anyway - this doesn’t help Andy’s BB rage does it? 

24 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yamahas are good eh!

I'm so happy with the sound of my BB424 that I'm forgiving if unable to forget how much heavier it is than my TRBX 😊 I bought it to play one specific genre, but find myself wanting to play as much as possible on it. (My fingers, used to a much less substantial neck, are moderating that desire)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Yeah, fully accept your points but they're no Yamaha BB1100s basses!   As for the Jap/Taiwan build models.......cannot see or hear any difference.  Taiwan is known as a reputable build country in woodwind instruments and I could hear no difference when playing Jap or Taiwanese bb1100 basses.  

Yamaha BB110s v Bit Coin..................mmmmm

I am honoured - even The Prof agrees

• Haha 1

Look I’m all for folks getting as much as they can when selling an item. It just feels a bit naff as a load of gear has come up here over the last year as Covid has seen our gigging income obliterated. I see many cabs and and amp’s come up but folks are generally sticking to their asking prices/market value of the gear in question (I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many Bergantino cabs for sale at once). 

The ‘convention’ of get what you paid won’t always work as it’s up to the person who takes the calculated risk of buying an item which might not sell for months to decide what they’re willing to accept. It’s also up to the buyer to decide what is a good deal it’s entirely up to the individual in both instances. In fact some folks might say helping out the initial seller by taking their item benefits both parties. One gets cash the other a good deal. If there’s profit to be made down the line then this is dictated by the market. Unfortunately the Covid/no gigs has kinda made it a buyers market for those in a financial position to snap up the deals.

Sorry back on topic again...

Yamaha are still good eh!

• Like 1

Agree with all of that. No one is ever forced to buy a particular item of used (or new) bass gear. Shop around. If you think the price is too high, negotiate and if you're still not happy, don't buy it! 

But I think it's very wrong to label someone "dishonest" for listing their property for sale at whatever price they choose to. It's their choice.

Back on topic again...yeah Yamahas are very good. Particularly for the money 😁

And yet, there are still no BB 1100S for sale! @bassfan's was a really fine specimen, but it took him ages to shift last year and it was on for bargain price compared to what BB1100s are being listed for today. 

Edited by Al Krow

There was an 1100s on EBay for a fair while at £850. It was a black/semi sparkly finish, I remember lusting after those in the late 80s when I had my natural finish one. If it had been the same price as other 1100s up at the time (around £500) I’d have probably bought it.

Edited by Lozz196

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

But I think it's very wrong to label someone "dishonest" for listing their property for sale at whatever price they choose to. It's their choice.

Who labelled someone “dishonest”, have I missed something or are we off on a theoretical tangent?

Ive negotiated and set a price, which makes him a few quid - he’s mulling it over.

if he doesn’t want that, then that’s fine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Who labelled someone “dishonest”, have I missed something or are we off on a theoretical tangent?

Ive negotiated and set a price, which makes him a few quid - he’s mulling it over.

if he doesn’t want that, then that’s fine.

Good result Andy - and it certainly wasn't you implying dishonesty!

There was an earlier comment that: "people are pretty honest for moving stuff on [for] the same price they bought it"

That comment sounded pretty clear to me to be suggesting that anyone who doesn't move stuff on for the same price they bought it, is actually not an honest person. 

If that wasn't what was intended by that comment, then fine. Let's move on.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

There was an earlier comment that: "people are pretty honest for moving stuff on the same price they bought it"

That comment sounded pretty clear to me to be suggesting that anyone who doesn't move stuff on for the same price they bought it as not being honest. 

If that wasn't what was intended to be implied by that comment, then fine. Let's move on.

My hangover cannot handle this. I’m going back to bed for a bit 🥸😆

• Haha 1

There’s no dishonesty in making a profit. We buy, we sell - sometimes we list gear to get it shifted and don’t mind taking a loss and sometimes we’re able to make a few quid on a bargain. Let the interested parties decide. Simple. 

• Like 1

Just now, krispn said:

There’s no dishonesty in making a profit. We buy, we sell - sometimes we list gear to get it shifted and don’t mind taking a loss and sometimes we’re able to make a few quid on a bargain. Let the interested parties decide. Simple. 

^^ Exactly this.

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I ued to be on a forum for something completely different, nothing to do with music. There was an admirable convention that you should sell on the forum for no more than what you paid.  Policing it though caused an enormous amount of bad blood. The net benefit to the happiness of the forum was negative.

I think this is where the discussion started and I’m presuming it means if you bought for X price on that forum you’d sell for the same price on that forum. 

Edited by krispn

Have to say if I see a bass for sale that I am interested in the question in my mind is 'do I want to pay the asking price?' not 'How much did the seller buy if for?'  So far as I can see, that is irrelevant.

• Like 1

Just now, Paul S said:

Have to say if I see a bass for sale that I am interested in the question in my mind is 'do I want to pay the asking price?' not 'How much did the seller buy if for?'  So far as I can see, that is irrelevant.

Well. I couldn’t recall what bb450s went for, so a quick check brought up the sellers recent purchase...🤷🏻‍♂️😆

2 hours ago, krispn said:

Look I’m all for folks getting as much as they can when selling an item. It just feels a bit naff as a load of gear has come up here over the last year as Covid has seen our gigging income obliterated. I see many cabs and and amp’s come up but folks are generally sticking to their asking prices/market value of the gear in question (I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many Bergantino cabs for sale at once). 

Haha, buy mine and lets get one to a good home 😉

I advertised mine at a loss, but when people offer 50% off that 'for a quick sale' its no wonder im sticking to my guns, especially when i know full well when that cab gets sold on it will be for a much higher price than the person paid from me. We all have a choice though, but those that try it on can definitely do one in my book.

and ive seen this happen with a bass i sold on here years ago.

Edited by dave_bass5

28 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

There was an earlier comment that: "people are pretty honest for moving stuff on the same price they bought it"

That comment sounded pretty clear to me to be suggesting that anyone who doesn't move stuff on for the same price they bought it, as not an honest person. 

If that wasn't what was intended by that comment, then fine. Let's move on.

Seems like it’s in reference to the comment I made - if I had said people are pretty ‘good’ at......Does that mean I would be calling another person bad?

Certainly not - it’s a classic glass half full or half empty argument.

The statement was in regard to BC being a good and trustworthy market place and community, which is often toted by everyone and is evident. If you want to interpret it differently, be my guest.

In this case it appears @AndyTravis has both a half full and half empty glass this morning