Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Just found my black bb1024 pickguard, it got used as a template for my Pearl one but was damaged in the post.

ive had a go at fixing it, seems fairly solid, have glued it, then two support strips doused in superglue on the back. I might use this in the future - if only to template another guard.

034DB46B-F363-444C-B075-16B2AB3BD057.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

On 01/01/2021 at 22:23, AndyTravis said:

Saw this before got me thinking 😂

2D20F826-3785-411C-AA5D-DA48549AB14B.jpeg

Come on then, what's the plan?! 

PS the previous owner clearly wasn't a massive fan of Yammy P pups were they? 😁

Edited by Al Krow

After my G&L experiences, I'd half forgotten that when you order and pay for a bass, it usually arrives. Really pleased. 

After the wispy TRBX neck, the BB424 neck feels much more substantial: 2mm wider at the nut, 2.5mm thicker at 1st fret, 3.5mm thicker at 12th fret. The body feels much bigger, too, the cutaways having three fewer frets to reach. And the reward is in the tone - exactly what I wanted. BANG. (or do I mean CLANG?)

The strings have red silks and are as rough as £¥€&, so I'm guessing these are Rotosound 66s?

To sound like my idea of what a bass is the TRBX needed Chromes and its bridge pickup ignoring. This sounds right with rounds and both pickups on.

The condition is excellent (except for the whiff of B&H Silver) and I'm very happy with the price I paid (only slightly more than half of what the TRBX cost)

20210106_113132-01.jpeg

20210106_112529(0)-01.jpeg

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 5

On 29/12/2020 at 00:30, MattiZ said:

Exactly. I’m fine with DIY - if somebody else does it. 

Never really played a fretless (only tried briefly), might not even like the feel. And it seems to be very hard to find any fretless basses for sale locally (not to mention any BBs). If there’s no other option, I might consider getting, say, a BB234 defretted, if I could find one in the first place! 

A week later. 

0AC3C00F-5A87-4FAB-A026-545D2356DC60.jpeg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

After the wispy TRBX neck, the BB424 neck feels much more substantial: 2mm wider at the nut, 2.5mm thicker at 1st fret, 3.5mm thicker at 12th fret.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks this. I had a TRBX504 and I'd never played on such a shallow neck before. It was like a rosewood topped ice lolly stick

9 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I don't know when BBs changed from 43mm to 40mm, but...

J neck 38mm (1½")
K neck 38.7mm
L neck 39.3mm
M neck 40mm
N neck 40.7mm
O neck 41.3mm
P neck 42mm (1⅝")

😬

How long before this becomes part of the Yamaha folklore or worse ‘fact’ 😂

If anyone's got a spare BB1100S in the cupboard...

13 hours ago, ProfJames said:

Got a pal looking for a Yamaha BB1100s for the last couple of weeks and there are none available.  Are people not selling?  Are they becoming more rare?  Are there other models that are scarce at present???

• Like 1

It’s still not the complete family photo - my BB235 and the other BB1200S stayed at home. Possibly some day next week I’ll have them all at my studio at the same time. 

The new (to me) BB400S is nice, I’ve played it several hours per day since I got it this tuesday. Like the sound, weight and playability, but the quality of both the DIY de-fret job and the nut is such that it is going to a luthier as soon as possible. Bumpy and buzzy fret(less)board, badly made replacement nut. And the finish... well, it is the original early 80’s dark brown, in very good condition. It does look organic. Like sh...

B43E7C83-9CCD-4CF2-844B-4901D742A816.jpeg

• Like 4