Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I paid £280-odd for a brand new 425 a couple of years back.

I SOOO wish I could get an 8lb 5 string BB425/1025 or the newer equivalent (still not got my head around the new numbers :scratch_one-s_head:).  I really like everything about them except the weight.

1 minute ago, marleaux62 said:

There’s someone on eBay asking £950 for a 1025x I don’t think they cost that much when they were new.

I was about to post the same thing! Had a little look for one yesterday and was surprised someone was trying for that. 

I think realistically the most you can be asking...

Any condition issues, go south of these...

Just my opinion of course, but I’d want something super light or factory fresh for more than this.

414 £200

614 £250

415 £250

615 £300

424 £300 

425 £350

1024 £500

1025 £550

2024 £1200

2025 £1250

I haven’t differentiated between x/non x...

CX/MX/MA versions not withstanding due to scarcity.

Edited by AndyTravis

41 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

There’s someone on eBay asking £950 for a 1025x I don’t think they cost that much when they were new.

There’s a guy asking £1800 for a Gibson EB, think that’s 3 times what they were new RRP and about £1300 more than they were when not many people bought them and they were on clearance lists everywhere.3A6F1CD8-EF75-447F-A961-5CE01F6FE369.thumb.png.fdc80fb189120717b45af4c32427d3d3.png

7 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

Why doesn't someone write a definitive book on the BB ? Looks like there would be enough interest. I guess you'd have to speak Japanese to do the research properly at source. Is there already such a resource in Japanese that needs translating into other languages ?

This I believe...

The History of Yamaha Guitars by Mark Kasulen, Matt Blackett | Waterstones

You've just cost me £20 Mr 63 😁

Just now, Al Krow said:

Nice comparison.

Providing 24 frets on a PJ is pretty neat - not too many PJ basses available with 24 frets as standard these days. The modern series Yammy BB PJs are 21 frets which is pretty typical.

Spector do 24/pj as do Warwick...ibanez on a couple of models. Yamaha TRBX 170/270.

29 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Spector do 24/pj as do Warwick...ibanez on a couple of models. Yamaha TRBX 170/270.

Yeah agreed.

More difficult for us 5 string players - trying to find a 5 string Spector PJ EuroLX at the mo is hard work! I did have a look at the Ibby 655E and nearly bought one, but advice was that it would fall short of the SR Premium I had in my herd.

And not sure that the TRBX 170/270 would stack up against the BB 1025 / 735A on anything other than number of frets.

I understand that the Yammy TRBs were bought out as more 'aspirational' models. Would love them to relaunch with a lb or two shed from their waistlines! 

Edited by Al Krow

Hello guys, 

I know it's not a BB, but I saw a local Pulser 400 for sale in almost mint condition.

How much would be a fair price? 

I have seen a couple from Japan selling at around 350-400 euros. But with almost 200 euros for shipping and you never know about customs. 

Thanks. 

Just now, J_Bass said:

Hello guys, 

I know it's not a BB, but I saw a local Pulser 400 for sale in almost mint condition.

How much would be a fair price? 

I have seen a couple from Japan selling at around 350-400 euros. But with almost 200 euros for shipping and you never know about customs. 

Thanks. 

Bass direct have one in currently, for private sales I think @Beedster sold one within the last years or so if you search his threads...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aidan63 said:

Why doesn't someone write a definitive book on the BB ? Looks like there would be enough interest. I guess you'd have to speak Japanese to do the research properly at source. Is there already such a resource in Japanese that needs translating into other languages ?

There really probably isn't that much interest in the overall market.  Most people don't really bat an eye at brands like Yamaha and Ibanez and just see them as the "beginner" or affordable brand. 

Plus there's also an issue of false information, which Yamaha themselves have spread, like with the nonexistent BB600 that Peter Hook claims was his first Yamaha bass - such a bass does not exist, yet Yamaha themselves wrote about the BB600 in various articles talking about Peter Hook's history with Yamaha.  One would have to be very careful when writing it as to not include incorrect information.