Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Or just buy a fretless with an ebony fretboard which is better designed to take the wear and tear of fretless playing?

Ebony is generally harder wearing than rosewood for example, but is tonally different and more like maple.

All depends if you want a darker or brighter tone, or what look you want as well.

Look after the wood, use flatwounds, I can’t see it being a problem.

Why Ebony above another wood?

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Bah humbug, don’t believe the hype. Defret and enjoy...

😉

Haha - not saying de-fretting isn't a valid option, for some. Personally I'm with @MattiZ on this - I wouldn't defret a perfectly good fretted bass; I'd rather buy a bass that was fretless from the outset.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Haha - not saying de-fretting isn't a valid option, for some. Personally I'm with @MattiZ on this - I wouldn't defret a perfectly good fretted bass; I'd rather buy a bass that was fretless from the outset.

You’ve never played a bass I’ve defretted...

Also. Jaco Pastorius...

Ahem...

On 22/12/2020 at 10:37, Misdee said:

Just had a read, very interesting. I have  had countless similar disappointments when it comes to trying acclaimed basses and being underwhelmed.

I too am unlikely to be playing the bass through two amps.  At the moment I am only playing at home , mainly through headphones. The best I could manage is to play it through two pairs of headphones, but I've only got one pair of ears. Maybe I could email Billy and ask him what I should do. 😄

HXstomp - feed in two signals and process them separately and mix to mono.... (or send two signals too the PA) 

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

You’ve never played a bass I’ve defretted...

Also. Jaco Pastorius...

Ahem...

Did he play a bass you had defretted? 

4 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Yes he did

”that my cocker is f*ckin bangin - nice one lad!”

the next day, Zawinul calls him - the rest is history...

I heard he slept in and Zawinul had to call you in to lay down the bass parts that day. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Good job sir!

Each to their own, but I can’t see what the difference between a de-fretted neck and a neck made without frets is, granted it depends where your dot/markers are be they middle of the frets or on the actual fret - once you learn where they are, you know how to play it.

If there are no or very little bases fretless in the model someone wants, but a plethora of fretted ones, and the cost to de-fret is less than buying a whole new bass, makes perfect sense.

Buy a second neck and have one of each

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Good job sir!

Each to their own, but I can’t see what the difference between a de-fretted neck and a neck made without frets is, granted it depends where your dot/markers are be they middle of the frets or on the actual fret - once you learn where they are, you know how to play it.

If there are no or very little bases fretless in the model someone wants, but a plethora of fretted ones, and the cost to de-fret is less than buying a whole new bass, makes perfect sense.

Buy a second neck and have one of each

I enjoyed that project, used it for 3 gigs with a soul singer. It was a gear4music jobbie. Had a mate who worked in their stockroom.

it had a faulty machine head and was returned: I paid £60 for it, £10 for the wood and glue, a machine head was in my parts draw.

I sold it for £150, with a clean conscience - was a great bass, plugged in was warm and clear - and the volume was acceptable for unplugged practice.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Exactly. I’m fine with DIY - if somebody else does it. 

Never really played a fretless (only tried briefly), might not even like the feel. And it seems to be very hard to find any fretless basses for sale locally (not to mention any BBs). If there’s no other option, I might consider getting, say, a BB234 defretted, if I could find one in the first place! 

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Ive got a Lakland  JO maple Jazz neck sitting around that ive been thinking (for the past 5 years) of getting de fretted. This thread has reminded me. Might do something about it next year. 

Maple fretboard  is going to be harder to do as you will need to relaquer it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattiZ said:

Never really played a fretless (only tried briefly), might not even like the feel.

I've had a fretless a few times. I end up sounding just like I do on a fretted but sometimes slightly out of tune, and with more slides. Probably tells you more about my playing than fretless though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I heard that, Luther Vandross did the same for his albums. I have to admit I stole the batteries out of Marcus’ alarm clock that time...

I heard Thundercat had to get Ibanez to build him a 6 string to keep up with the parts you had laid down on a 4 string. He was a bit annoyed that someone had pulled the emergency stop chain on the train he was on...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Maple fretboard  is going to be harder to do as you will need to relaquer it.

Oh no, not me, I meant getting it done by someone that knows what they are doing.

Like a few others I’m happy to do the electric’s and change the hardware, but that as about it. I just don’t have the correct tools, and it seems pointless getting them for a one off. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

On 19/12/2020 at 20:00, dave_bass5 said:

I have a BB425 and yes, its a bit hotter and has a bit more bite to it. Its the only PJ or JJ ive had that I could play the bridge pup and not feel a drop in body and volume.

Have you ever put Daddario Pro Steels or Rotosound Swing Bass strings or something similar on your 425?