Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

OMG - he's using a music stand - haha! There's clearly hope for us mere mortals yet 😁

Btw @gobasserk well done for nailing his tone so well! 

Kinda amused he's running out of fretboard - my only gripe with the Yamaha BB range (except the NE2) is that they are 21 frets and not 24.

Just spotted that the Warwick Thumb played by one of my bass heroes (Jack Bruce RIP) has 26 very accessible frets - that's insane!

Well I think it is not really difficult to recreate the sound without a BBPH bass. But the 1000MA has the same revearsed p-pickup ..which I like better than the normal way. A key reason for me to love the MA-BBs for so many years. I had several BB's but after Ii got used to the tone of the MA pickups the normal position is too boomy, to bassy for me. 

• Like 2

Yup - that's supposed to be the key benefit of the reverse P ie a tighter low end (and a mellower top).

Shame Yammy don't offer that option more widely. 

Although I guess with a judicious use of EQ and / or HPF you should be able to get a chunk of the way there, particularly in reducing any boominess. 

Edited by Al Krow

Just was thinking about what I could do next .... 👩‍⚖️

Option 1 : buying the new BBPH                                                      999,-

Option 2: a new finish for one of my BB1000MA'S                       600;- ???  (metallic cherry red) 

Option 3: buying a 434m and upgrading it                                     500,- plus ...300,- ? 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:58, Sarlscharisma said:

I've had a chance to play it now and it certainly has the 1200S DNA. But it does have it's own thing going on.  I have had 3 1200S basses in the past so I am working off my memory but it does have a lot of the sparkle of the top end of that bass.  I find the bottom end is very different though in that it doesn't have the 'hollow' sound of the 1200S and is more round.  Without playing this in a band setting I think hitting that E string might blow the roof off, that didn't happen with my 1200S basses.

So I would say it is different enough from the 1200S to be it's own thing.  The feel of the neck is amazing and it is very fast.  It is certainly not the 'tank' the 1200S is, but that is probably down to it being so much lighter.  The sustain is amazing for a bolt on, that is a huge achievement.

I have never played a 734 so can't comment on that, but this is a workhorse bass with a solid feel to it.

The only thing I would be critical of is the knobs seem a bit on the cheaper side and are too small/fiddly, the inlays are plasticky, and the fretboard is too light against the rest of the bass.

But for £899 it's an absolute steel and a top bass.

Lots of parallels here, compared to my experience with my two BB1200Ss and a BB735A. Not the same as the BBPH (a 5-stringer with non-reverse P), but close. 

They have somewhat similar top end sparkle, yes. Differences in low end, except 1200S has it tight and focused, but 735A feels somewhat phasey and scooped, possibly lacking something in the low mids (hard to pin it down exactly, just a feel). Could it be the difference between reverse and non-reverse P, and/or the pre-amp? I’m not sure.

Different, absolutely. And I completely agree the 1200S is a ”tank” (or Imperial Starcruiser) to the light-weight 735A. There is nothing wrong with its build quality but it still feels much less substantial (and actually weights less than the 1200S). 

I also agree the knobs are not ideal (very heavy, unmarked and... uh, pretty ugly), neither are the pots themselves: they feel very stiff to turn, and the center detents feel very subtle, there is almost no positive click. And those inlays really are ugly, they look like cheap nicotine-stained plastic. 

Still, it is a good bass, it fits the band I play it in, I like it more and more after each band practise...

... but finally, getting even more off-topic but... I - still - kind of enjoy my BB235 more!

• Like 3

Unlikely Twins!

Two of my very favourite basses! Pic inspired by recent chat with @Chopthebass whose identical finish new NE2 has just arrived and @cetera, undoubtedly the biggest Spector lover on BC (and probably the UK!)

I posted a while back about how I felt that the NE2 took more design cues from Spector than from any other of my basses including my other Yammys.

In particular, they both have in common:

• sculpted backs making them very comfortable to wear;
  • neck through;
  • 3+2 headstock;
  • purely active;
  • seriously meaty low end;
  • and 24 very accessible frets - even more so on the Yammy with its cut-away lower horn.  

The "extra" that the Yammy delivers is a 3 band EQ vs 2 band on the Spector and a Nathan East mid scoop, which I believe is centred at 2kHz, and which adds to its capability as a phenomenally versatile tone monster.

On the other hand the ability to obtain tonal precision by being able to select single or dual coil for either pup on Spector is an excellent feature.

Differences:

• obvious key one of pups - the Spector has it's iconic EMGs whereas the Yammy features two Jazz-style, hum-cancelling, stacked Alnico V pickups;
  • single bridge piece Spector vs individual bridge pieces on the NE2;
  • 35" scale on the Spector vs 34" scale on the NE2;
  • 17mm string spacing on the Spector vs 18mm on the NE2, but with a shallower taper on the Spector (down to 9.5mm at the nut vs 8.8mm for the NE2).

In theory the individual bridge pieces should provide better isolation vibrations on other strings, but I know some folk prefer single bridge pieces, and whilst a 35" scale should provide a slightly tighter low end I think it's relatively marginal and I personally find 34" a more comfortable scale length.

Unlikely twins.jpg

I was kinda gratified to read in this excellent review: Yamaha BBNE2 Nathan East Signature Model – MusicPlayers.com that their evaluation short list for the NE2 were the following:

• Spector Euro5 LX 5-String Electric Bass Guitar
  • Warwick German Pro Series Streamer CV 5-String Electric Bass Guitar
  • Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 5 HH Neck Through 5-String Electric Bass

...so it appears that I'm in good company in wanting to put these two superb basses side by side! 

Both have pretty eye watering new prices although the NE2 is typically another £750 to £1,000 on top of the Spector - I was fortunate to get my NE2 in great condition used and my Spector new in a "sale".

If I had to save just one 'in a fire'? Hmmm...tricky question! I guess I'd just be happy to still have either! 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 6

On 15/12/2020 at 22:57, MattiZ said:

... but finally, getting even more off-topic but... I - still - kind of enjoy my BB235 more!

A comment about a BB235 being "off-topic" on a Yamaha BB thread?

Now I know you Scandinavian types have a reputation for being super honest (by the rest of the planet-we-all-share standards), but I'm afraid that hardly even registers on the off-topic Richter scale. You're going to have to try a LOT harder...😁 

• Haha 1

Has anyone has ever played a BB434 side by side with a TRBX504/604?

I'm considering swapping my TRBX for a BB, but perhaps the difference in the character of the sound wouldn't be enough to justify the effort?

At the moment the TRBX has Chromes, mostly gets played on neck pickup only, and is permanently set to passive, so you can see why I'm wondering!

I guess it really depends what you're after?

The key tonal difference is going to be from swapping humbuckers for a P-J set of pups which, for me, is the "USP" of the modern BB range (apart from the NE2, which is a souped-up Spector in disguise not a Yammy BB 😁).

The body construction on the 434 will also be a step up from the TRBX and, as you already note it's purely passive, rather than active / passive.

Do you feel the TRBX is coming up short and, if so, what is it "missing" for you? 

On the other hand if you're after a PJ that punches well above its price point, I suspect you're not going to be disappointed with a BB 434!

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Do you feel the TRBX is coming up short and, if so, what is it "missing" for you? 

In general the TRBX is a bit too amiable for my tastes - putting on flats helped bring out the bassy side of it, which I like, but I was wondering if the BB pickups would be a bit less polite. More woof less miaow.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

A comment about a BB235 being "off-topic" on a Yamaha BB thread?

Now I know you Scandinavian types have a reputation for being super honest (by the rest of the planet-we-all-share standards), but I'm afraid that hardly even registers on the off-topic Richter scale. You're going to have to try a LOT harder...😁 

For a while I thought this had become the official BBPH thread. Tried my best to fit in. 

By the way, did I mention I like the 235 a lot? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

In general the TRBX is a bit too amiable for my tastes - putting on flats helped bring out the bassy side of it, which I like, but I was wondering if the BB pickups would be a bit less polite. More woof less miaow.

Is amiable = polite / bland / tame?

If so, I've not been disappointed with the Yammy BB series 2 (425, 1025) or series 3 pups (735A) at all - in that regard. I love the tone, particularly from my 1025 / 735A.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Has anyone has ever played a BB434 side by side with a TRBX504/604?

I'm considering swapping my TRBX for a BB, but perhaps the difference in the character of the sound wouldn't be enough to justify the effort?

At the moment the TRBX has Chromes, mostly gets played on neck pickup only, and is permanently set to passive, so you can see why I'm wondering!

With that swap you are not swapping humbuckers, you are swapping a Humbucker in the bridge position.

A split coil is still a humbucker by definition.

Aside from other build features, try and source measurements as to where the pick ups are located in reference to the neck and the bridge and how each pick up is wound. You can also look at pot and capacitor information - this will give you the info you need as to how they will tonally differ and what suits you - then it comes down to looks and feel

• Thanks 1