Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 08/12/2020 at 20:42, AndyTravis said:

My sadowsky board is just ginger. I can’t seem to darken it, it’s had a good few runs of oil.

Pau Ferro! It's a very orangy (sometimes purple) wood,It  won't really darken like rosewood.

• Like 1

Well I guess he'd be the man to know all things considered but as I say reading the spec sheet for his bass and the for the 734/BBP34 they're identical from what I can see. It's not to say Yamaha didn't decide on the 1200 spec in designing the 700/BBP.

I've had a chance to play it now and it certainly has the 1200S DNA. But it does have it's own thing going on.  I have had 3 1200S basses in the past so I am working off my memory but it does have a lot of the sparkle of the top end of that bass.  I find the bottom end is very different though in that it doesn't have the 'hollow' sound of the 1200S and is more round.  Without playing this in a band setting I think hitting that E string might blow the roof off, that didn't happen with my 1200S basses.

So I would say it is different enough from the 1200S to be it's own thing.  The feel of the neck is amazing and it is very fast.  It is certainly not the 'tank' the 1200S is, but that is probably down to it being so much lighter.  The sustain is amazing for a bolt on, that is a huge achievement.

I have never played a 734 so can't comment on that, but this is a workhorse bass with a solid feel to it.

The only thing I would be critical of is the knobs seem a bit on the cheaper side and are too small/fiddly, the inlays are plasticky, and the fretboard is too light against the rest of the bass.

But for £899 it's an absolute steel and a top bass.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

...The feel of the neck is amazing and it is very fast.  It is certainly not the 'tank' the 1200S is, but that is probably down to it being so much lighter.  The sustain is amazing for a bolt on, that is a huge achievement.

@Muzz - sounds like it's getting pretty close to what you've been looking for?

15 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

The only thing I would be critical of is the knobs seem a bit on the cheaper side and are too small/fiddly, the inlays are plasticky, and the fretboard is too light against the rest of the bass.

@marleaux62 - Mick had exactly the same thoughts (great minds and all that?) and has come up with a cunning plan for sorting! If it works, I'll leave him to share.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Bassmurf said:

Apologies if this has been posted already!

Defo no need to apologise (can't have too much of Hooky can we? 😊) and welcome to the Yammy thread if that was a first post from you on here (and my turn to apologise if I missed any of your earlier posts!).

Are you a current / former Yammy owner - if so, please spill the beans! 

1st post from me on this thread and Hooky still underrated imho.

Am a former owner of a RBX550M in blue - was a massive Billy Sheehan back in the ‘90’s so got this video, saw what he had on the cover and well - had to get a Yammy!

image.jpeg.473ddb916747faf6bc9b2047f8a472fb.jpeg

My mate has a BB734A which if he ever wants to sell it, could give it a good home...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sarlscharisma said:

There are others who will know better than me on this forum, but I think the neck feel is similar but is narrower from front to back.  But I am working off my memory when I had a 1200S.

The neck is thinner front to back... and the nut is 40mm instead of 43mm on 1200s...I have to say the neck on the BBPH does feel quite nice...

• Like 1

Satin black B stock 735A for £631 inc. P&P including a Yammy gig bag - so around £559 for the bass itself, £60(?) for the gig bag and £12 delivery:

Yamaha 735a Satin Black B stock for sale, UK eu, on offer, Bass Direct warwick, Birmingham, London, Manchester, USA

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Satin black B stock 735A for £631 inc. P&P including a Yammy gig bag - so around £559 for the bass itself, £60(?) for the gig bag and £12 delivery:

Yamaha 735a Satin Black B stock for sale, UK eu, on offer, Bass Direct warwick, Birmingham, London, Manchester, USA

I’ve been trying very hard to not pull the trigger on that one.