Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

A question for BB owners that have the bevelled through body stringing, as opposed to the through body through the rear of the bass. Given that flats can get damaged if they are run through too great an angle, is it okay to use flats on the lesser angled through body stringing?

I’ve been pondering string choice. My favourite strings are Dunlop flats. They aren’t at all dull or muddy and I’ve ordered some for my BBPH. 

I’ve also been experimenting with fretboard darkening using black leather dye, a popular choice. I practiced on my Mexican Jazz and it worked well. It did however leave the side dots sort of half and half tinted. I’ve decided not to risk it on my new BBPH :) 

D982BDA8-B5EE-47C8-8941-12CC65F7E84A.jpeg

Ooooo, a 3000A - just to put me out of/drop me further into my misery (having sold my VW 3000A a while back and always regretted it), can you tell me the neck/nut size compared to the 414 (that is a 414 on the right, yeah?)? I had a 1024, but thought the neck was a bit big - having Jon Shuker make necks just the size I want (skinny) has spoiled me, I'm afraid... 😕🙂

18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

I haven't dB! Have you got them on your 1025X? What extra are you getting / hearing from them compared to the EXLs? (I see they're about 50% pricier than the EXLs - dv247 currently have the NYXL 45 to 130s in stock for £33).

I can't really trust my opinion here as I tend to run strings for a very long time (like over a year), so any string change feels like an upgrade! I'd need to try a fresh set of both strings without a huge amount of time in-between to make a fair comment. But I think these felt looser and sounded more lively as a result, and have lasted longer too.

Also I got a 4-string set for free (D'Addario promotion on BC when they first came out), they were sat in a drawer for a couple of years until I found a tapered NYXL B string for sale on here to add to the set. The low B sounds much more defined than I'm used to, not sure if that's the string in general or the fact it's tapered, but I will try and hunt down another!

20201209_155000.jpg

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

A question for BB owners that have the bevelled through body stringing, as opposed to the through body through the rear of the bass. Given that flats can get damaged if they are run through too great an angle, is it okay to use flats on the lesser angled through body stringing?

I’ve been pondering string choice. My favourite strings are Dunlop flats. They aren’t at all dull or muddy and I’ve ordered some for my BBPH. 

I’ve also been experimenting with fretboard darkening using black leather dye, a popular choice. I practiced on my Mexican Jazz and it worked well. It did however leave the side dots sort of half and half tinted. I’ve decided not to risk it on my new BBPH :) 

I'd string through the bridge to play it safe. The break angle isn't much different to a traditional string through body design, since those designs usually have the string hole behind the bridge in a similar position, just the string bends twice instead of once before it reaches the ferrule.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I can't really trust my opinion here as I tend to run strings for a very long time (like over a year), so any string change feels like an upgrade!

Thanks - that was an interesting pic of the NYXL B string taper.

I suspect the definition of a "very long time" will likely vary (Chinese ambassador: "a thousand years is not a 'long time' for us!"). Typical bass player? Guess it's gonna all depend on whether you like your sound mellow or bright! I'm probs in the 6 months to 1 year category for my 2 or 3 'busy  basses', but  definitely > 1 year for most of the rest, and my EUB strings are 3yrs+ and going fine! 

Just got in from nearly 3 hours of socially distanced band practice. The BBPH was superb. Run through a EBS Microbass 3 and a hp filter into an EBS Fafner and an 8 ohm Accugroove 112 with a horn and 2 tweeters. 
It cut through the mix very well. Lovely tone and sustain like you’d hardly believe. I played it passive with the tone rolled down for the more bluesy numbers and active with a slight mid boost and treble cut for the more rocky stuff. It’s a great bass and I’m well pleased. 

Hopefully fitting Dunlop flats tomorrow. 

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 4

I was going to say - not surprised that is has such great sustain if it's a thru neck. 

Except it's not! 😎 

I'm guessing there won't probably be a 5 string version, which is a shame, in the same way that the NE2 was not, to my knowledge, ever released as a 4 string. 

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I was going to say - not surprised that is has such great sustain if it's a thru neck. 

Except it's not! 😎 

I'm guessing there won't probably be a 5 string version, which is a shame, in the same way that the NE2 was not, to my knowledge, ever released as a 4 string. 

Bb2004 is as close as you’ll find. I’d love a white one...

4A515C6F-6B17-4E19-81BA-4F9D1739DC06.jpeg

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Bb2004 is as close as you’ll find. I’d love a white one...

Agreed. And they don't look too shabby in black either!

But did the 2004 and 2005 both precede the NE2 and were ceased production after the NE2 came out?

Just now, Al Krow said:

Agreed. And they don't look too shabby in black either!

But did the 2004 and 2005 both precede the NE2 and were ceased production after the NE2 came out?

No, they Were “budget” versions. And didn’t last as long. Got very close with a natural one. Should’ve bought it. What a dummy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I'd string through the bridge to play it safe. The break angle isn't much different to a traditional string through body design, since those designs usually have the string hole behind the bridge in a similar position, just the string bends twice instead of once before it reaches the ferrule.

I fitted the Dunlop Flats today. Here is a photo of the break angle of the 'old' D'Addario E string. It is much less than I thought and I've fitted through body. If they fail then on my head be it :)

IMG_1036.jpg

On 06/12/2020 at 08:51, marleaux62 said:

Tony Kanal from No doubt a long time Yamaha user.

0C1C632C-3EF5-4B59-8048-1F5E66E92B65.jpeg

310309B6-8DC4-4330-8472-D0D8CAE1B8EA.jpeg

5A38A26F-29FF-4A77-99F5-9E87E03A4DF5.jpeg

It was seeing/hearing Tony's BB that sparked my interest in the range

3 hours ago, gobasserk said:

After playing some other bass than my BB's over the last year I think I might buy another red one again. It could tear me apart...

We've been missing your MA clips Mr Basserk! 

Do you find that playing red basses really improves your tone and do your bandmates and audience notice the difference? And if it tears you apart then there will be red on more than just the bass...😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Al, nice to meet you again ! 🙂 I think with red basses ...it has to be a special red, I would like some metallic... but the PH looks nice !!! 🙂 
AND : The pick ups are lik the MA's... revearsed ! 🥰
Came home from work, saw your post and did some quick tunes on my new Zoom R8 with my BB1000MA 🙂 So nothing fancy, not arranged very well, just jamming !! 
So here we go...BB1000MA Hook style (fingerstyle)  🙂  (well there is a good portion of Tony Butler in too!! ) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKjNsJsFVNQ&feature=youtu.be

Edited by gobasserk
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, gobasserk said:

How do you like the track? 

The playing is nice, but you are using quite a lot of fx that I would not myself typically use, so personally I preferred your previous clips you uploaded for us in Jan:

On 28/01/2020 at 14:40, gobasserk said:

Sick at home...  used the time to compare my BBs . All basses played over the 25watts Hartke combo and with the same preamp sound.
A little unfair...only the 414 and 614 have fresh strings..the difference is obvious.. 1000MA and 3000MA have old(!) strings. 
Both pickups, eq 100% . BB614 no boost, everything below zero-position. Fingerstyle.  Mobile in front of combo on the floor. Sick virus timing 😛 

Headphones recommended !!