Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

29 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

I agree the bag is a little bit snug at the top but it does the job. Personally mine will probably never get used I have a Mono Vertigo gig bag that I use all the time.

In which case @AndyTravisis looking for a Yammy gig bag for his 414...

You're welcome, gents 😊

18 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Didn’t you sell it to me empty? It’s a great bag

There you go, memory not what it was. Yes I'd given up playing and transporting my bass. You're right :D

Thankfully now enjoying my playing again and playing with other peeps occasionally.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

There you go, memory not what it was. Yes I'd given up playing and transporting my bass. You're right :D

Thankfully now enjoying my playing again and playing with other peeps occasionally.

now that is good news!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

So the new Yammy PH is not a coincidence then - and a great way to celebrate picking up where you left off! 😊

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I prefer my fingers not being covered in dirt after I've played it... no I prefer steels..got a set of elites going on ASAP...

Ah ok, what make of strings came as stock? Wonder why they are so "dirty"? 

4 hours ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Have you had a chance to change the strings... its the only thing that bugs me about my BBPH...

They do settle in. They are D’Addario nickels and I like nickels and D’ Addario. They stop making your fingers grimy after a bit and get less abrasive. I do have some Dunlop nickels 45 - 105. I might try them. Maybe DRs? Sunbeams? It’s getting expensive. My favourite go to string is Dunlop flats that are quite bright for flats but I’m not sure they’re the right strings for this bass.

• Like 2

D'Addario EXL 170s nickels are my go to strings also. Richtone were doing a double pack of 5ers for £40. I should have bulk ordered - I see that the double pack has gone back up to £60!!

But I guess £30 for a set of 5 strings is par for the course.

On 07/12/2020 at 12:46, marleaux62 said:

I always use this but if it doesn’t make it dark enough I mix it 50/50 with raw linseed oil.

661C7AE3-5AB6-448E-A896-68A676F4E3E9.jpeg

I got some of this last year. I always thought my BBP34 fretboard looked a bit anaemic, but  a couple of applications of this darkened it up nicely. Made a really nice visual difference to the bass.

Edited by dave_bass5

15 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I got some of this last year. My I always thought my BBP34 fretboard looked a bit anaemic, but  a couple of applications of this darkened it up nicely. Made a really nice visual difference to the bass.

My sadowsky board is just ginger. I can’t seem to darken it, it’s had a good few runs of oil.

11 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

My sadowsky board is just ginger. I can’t seem to darken it, it’s had a good few runs of oil.

Sometimes it is what it is. Mine looked dried out (although i dont think it was), so the fluid just rejuvenated the lighter parts and made it all look uniform. At least, that’s what i think. It looked nicer whatever happened. 

Have you spoken to Sadowsky about it (sorry, ive not read the last few pages yet). 

Edited by dave_bass5

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Sometimes it is what it is. Mine looked dried out (although i dont think it was), so the fluid just rejuvenated the lighter parts and made it all look uniform. At least, that’s what i think. It looked nicer whatever happened. 

Have you spoken to Sadowsky about it (sorry, ive not read the last few pages yet). 

Nope. Trying to find a pic - think it’s the grain. It looks great - just not dark.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

D'Addario EXL 170s nickels are my go to strings also. Richtone were doing a double pack of 5ers for £40. I should have bulk ordered - I see that the double pack has gone back up to £60!!

But I guess £30 for a set of 5 strings is par for the course.

Spoke too soon: GAK are doing a set of EXL 170-5 for £22.20 (plus fixed £2 postage irrespective of how many packs you get). I've just helped myself to 3 sets - two of my basses, including my 735A, are in desperate need of some new strings (and a bit of fretboard oil / tlc!) and it was good to bag a spare set while I can get them for that price!

5 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

@Al Krow have you tried the NYXLs? If not, ask Santa for some!

Cant say I’m a huge fan of those. Sound and feel is great, very close to XL’s, but i didn’t find they lasted much longer than the XL’s I normally use. I also found the A string sounded a bit hollow on my P34. I had two sets then gave up no them.

Maybe it’s just me. 

4 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

@Al Krow have you tried the NYXLs? If not, ask Santa for some!

I haven't dB! Have you got them on your 1025X? What extra are you getting / hearing from them compared to the EXLs? (I see they're about 50% pricier than the EXLs - dv247 currently have the NYXL 45 to 130s in stock for £33).