Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

I think the new PH bass would of looked better with these knobs on. But I don't think you can get them anymore that's my only  criticism so nothing really. I've been playing  it again today it sounds fantastic in passive or active mode. I think a few of my basses are going to get very dusty.

image.jpeg

Edited by marleaux62
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah but if you're selling to a global market, London and Manchester are probably the two strongest name recognition brands in the UK? (Maybe followed by Oxford and Cambridge?) And I say that as someone hailing from a Midlands city with double the population of Manchester.

So from a marketing perspective it kinda makes very good sense.

Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, York maybe even St Andrews would probably be before any sizeable midlands urban centres... 

18 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, York maybe even St Andrews would probably be before any sizeable midlands urban centres... 

And yet heavy metal was born in the foundries of the Midlands!

And some of the world's best chocolate was once made there!

23 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

Just darkened the fretboard I think it looks better now it was a little bit light before.

EC456D25-B4AF-441F-B8DE-819D4A26FA6E.jpeg

462A30AF-429A-4756-BF7F-C9D713468308.jpeg

What did you use to do that Mick? I was going to lemon oil mine just because I felt that it needed it but darkening would look good aesthetically.

Edited by GreeneKing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GreeneKing said:

What did you use to do that Mick? I was going to lemon oil mine just because I felt that it needed it but darkening would look good aesthetically.

I use horse riding leather tan to "ebonize" rosewood fretboards

• Like 2

On 06/12/2020 at 12:20, Al Krow said:

When you say "another 4 string BB" does that mean you've got already got a couple in your herd? If so, what have you got (obligatory pics required, of course!)?

Yes of course, late 80s BB300 (not entirely sure of the exact year) and a 1979 BB1200.  The BB1200 specifically is why I'm pretty hesitant about getting a BBPH.  (Sorry for the slightly blurry photo, my cheap phone's camera isn't that great). 

20201207_134724.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@Sanshiro very nice! I'll add you to the "wall of shame" on the OP!

here's my current list of yamaha BBs:

17 BB734A TMB
85 BB1200S burgundy
84 BB1200S burgundy
84 BB300 BLK
82 BB1200S burgundy
80 BBVI BK
79 BB1200 ST
78 BB1200 ST

and the ones i've sold:

79 BB1200 NTL
84 BB300 CAR
84 BB300 BLK
85 BB300 BLK
85 BB450 CAR
17 BB734A DCS

Edited by hypercarrots
  • Like 5

On 06/12/2020 at 05:20, marleaux62 said:

On the font the Gig bag it has a small pocket at the top. And a large pocket at the bottom inside it’s black fur it also has a Velcro neck strap.

75AB233D-3496-4DCE-BC1F-863375092371.jpeg

Identical to the ones that came with my 1024x and 1025x. Didn't have any issues with dimensions. Both fit well and are decent bags. 

10 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Identical to the ones that came with my 1024x and 1025x. Didn't have any issues with dimensions. Both fit well and are decent bags. 

Interesting that a number of folk don't seem to have any issues with the dimensions of the gig bag - maybe it's just me and @dannybuoy who found them a little tight. I'll get a picture done with mine in later: my recollection is that it was very "snug" i.e. the top of the head was pushing against the fabric and there was no space in between i.e. another 1cm at the top would be perfect just to provide a little more cushion.

No dispute that it's otherwise a very nice gig bag. And obviously the hard cases for the NE2 and P34/5s are also very nice indeed, although heavy! 

Just now, marleaux62 said:

I agree the bag is a little bit snug at the top but it does the job. Personally mine will probably never get used I have a Mono Vertigo gig bag that I use all the time.

I wish I'd never let my Mono bag go when I sold a bass and it needed a bag. Proper protection....