Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In your opinion how does the Eastwood compare with the Shergold original?

Its close very close... I think the bass sound is fuller on the Eastwood... the problem is that the Shergolds weren't wired up that well.. and the pots strangulate the sound a bit tbh there's a thread on it on my Hooky pro 6 FB page with a link to better wiring...

23 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Its close very close... I think the bass sound is fuller on the Eastwood... the problem is that the Shergolds weren't wired up that well.. and the pots strangulate the sound a bit tbh there's a thread on it on my Hooky pro 6 FB page with a link to better wiring...

Thanks!

I bought an Eastwood, although it was mainly because I've been struggling with the narrow string spacing of all the other Bass VIs I've owned and/or tried. The Eastwood seems spot on for me, although I've yet to use it "in anger". I did have a go on a Shergold original back in the mid 80s but it was such a long time ago I can't remember anything about how it felt to play or sounded.

Interested the Peter H model is one knob down on the 1200S despite having pretty much the same single reverse P config?

So is it the case that the PH is essentially a reduced-knob bolt-on version of the 30 year old classic BB1200S in any colour you want so long as it's red?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Interested the Peter H model is one knob down on the 1200S despite having pretty much the same single reverse P config?

So is it the case that the PH is essentially a reduced-knob bolt-on version of the 30 year old classic BB1200S in any colour you want so long as it's red?

IIRC at some point Yamaha changed the spec of the pre-amp and the new version didn't do what Peter Hook wanted, so he was buying up all the old models he could find. Therefore this signature model should have the older version of the pre-amp (or at least something that sounds like it).

• Like 1

If you want a bit more info, check out the latest Instagram Q&A. Jack and Hooky go through a lot of detail about this bass. The link starts off a bit ropey as they had a few internet issues but definitely worth a watch if you are interested in Peter Hook and this bass...

Hooky & Jack

Edited by 2elliot

3 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

The 3 pieces are I believe actually a sandwich of alder and maple in the width of the body i. e. Front to back. 

You are correct but it still does not look great, at least in my view. I think one will struggle finding one with a great looking wood grain. Alder is your classical wood choice for a solid finish, not a translucent one. Anyway, most people will probably not bother much and so it's just me being a bit OCD about looks 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2elliot said:

Here's another one from the Yamaha site...

Hooky Yamaha Guitars

Really engaging YT clip, thanks for sharing that.

Given that he's into reverse P and neck through, kinda surprised Hooky never became a Spector fan. But I guess if he's got seven BB 1200S, he's probably just about managed to find his "sound"...

11 hours ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

You are correct but it still does not look great, at least in my view. I think one will struggle finding one with a great looking wood grain. Alder is your classical wood choice for a solid finish, not a translucent one. Anyway, most people will probably not bother much and so it's just me being a bit OCD about looks 😉

I'll let you know what mine looks like tomorrow.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

Japanese....

Cool. My heart would love to get a BB1200S but my head is telling me to stick to the game plan of keeping to 5ers! 

Will be really interested in getting your feedback on how the new PH stacks up against the 1200S - Peter H seems to be very effusive about the new lady in red 

• Like 1

I think it’s probably the closest you’re going to get to the original 1200s sound wise.I was considering buying a 734 anyway so when this came up and me being a big Peter Hook fan I jumped at it. I know it’s not a through neck but Yamaha don’t even put through necks on there flagship bb 2024. Plus I think the cost would of been to expensive for Yamaha to do for one bass.

Edited by marleaux62

Yes, the only current model neck-through (NT) is the BB NE2. And I think it's quite a stretch to include that in the "BB" range given it lacks the ubiquitous P or reverse P pup present in the rest of the range and has a sculpted body, as well as the Nathan East preamp. 

For me the key benefits of a NT (as well as looking sooo good!) are added sustain which can also result in improved clarity and articulation - and the latter is very much a feature of my Ken Smith.

But in many ways that is the opposite of what you might be after when seeking that "classic P sound": a bolt on can definitely have its place! 

Edited by Al Krow

The answer is simple if you want a through neck bass don’t buy a new Yamaha. I have played a 734 and thought it played and sounded fantastic. The reverse p pickup was the biggest attraction for me buying the new one. I have a 80’s though neck Yamaha that I absolutely love and don’t think I will ever sell it.

Edited by marleaux62
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

The answer is simple if you want a through neck bass don’t buy a new Yamaha. I have played a 734 and thought it played and sounded fantastic. The reverse p pickup was the biggest attraction for me buying the new one. I have a 80’s though neck Yamaha that I absolutely love and don’t think I will ever sell.

I love the reverse P too... I have reversed the pups on a P bass ...and I would have done the same to the 734a eventually...

Edited by hookys6stringbass
  • Like 1