Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

8 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

A bit of SHAMELESS self-promotion if I may...

Due to finally getting around to commissioning a build I need to move on my two Yamaha BB245s. It's nerve wracking, but here they are if anyone is interested...

Yamaha BB425 x2 - Basses For Sale - Basschat

Great basses, but I'd get a new set of scales.  I cannot believe that they weigh only 3.25kg...

On 28/11/2020 at 11:19, Fil1ip said:

Quick question: how would you define the BB414 series neck (shape, profile etc) 

Thanks 

A modern C profile, somewhere between a Jazz and a Precision width wise. Personally I find them extremely comfortable (I find narrow Ibanez SR necks too narrow and Yamaha TRBX necks too shallow). The neck was the selling point when I bought my first. I had a BB424 and the neck on that felt different and not as nice

The day has finally come. Just saw this on Twitter:

"Joy Division and New Order changed music, and co-founder and bassist Peter Hook changed bass playing.

@YamahaGuitars are proud to celebrate his one-of-a-kind melodic style with the new Peter Hook Signature BB."

Earlier, Peter tweeted:

"I will then be going live on Instagram at 6pm for a chat with my son @Jack_Bass_  to discuss - join us then if you like, here: http://instagram.com/jackbates_music "

I'll be there 😎

• Like 1

I think this is a fabulous and very desirable instrument indeed. 

I have grown to love my 734A but i am really blown away by the looks of the Hooky.

It is a shame the BB range doesn't offer this particular finish as i think it would go really well. 

I just cannot justify getting one of these although i reckon it will hold its value very well if i decide to shift it later. 

• Like 1

First demo and review of Hooky's signature bass. Sounds all good to me. Not so sure about the finish though. Looks like a translucent finish, which can be great, but I am not sure alder is the right wood for that kind of finish. I guess one would have to shop around to find a nice looking one. For example, the ones shown in the PMT video and the review video below did not look great in my opinion. I guess I am just spoiled by my Spector basses 😉

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, marleaux62 said:

It’s on music radar . Com

Yeah, they're much more about the limited edition - strange PMT aren't making more of this...

...and Hooky doesn't even appear on the Yamaha site...

Edited by Muzz

3 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Yeah, they're much more about the limited edition - strange PMT aren't making more of this...

Maybe it is only a limited edition in the US. Neither PM nor GuitarGuitar mention anything about it being limited. The price (£899/£999) does not scream "limited edition" to me either.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/201118364031025--yamaha-bb-peter-hook-signature