Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@MattiZ - that's really interesting and always good to hear the unvarnished views of fellow BC'ers - IMO so much more useful than "wow this is amazing!" to two months later "it doesn't quite meet what I was looking for tonally / feel / etc and I've decided to sell it" that we can often get 😁

It does go to show what a big difference bass set up can make - the experience with the two 735As I've had (the first was disappointing and the current one so far very good) definitely has some parallels to what you are saying as I touched on in my Oct 31 "Quick review". 

True, I've decided to hang on to my 734A because I've grown to really enjoy playing it. Being in lockdown with no band work is probably a factor but it is a great all- round bass IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if 12 months down the line the GAS will fire up again though. I hope it doesn't though. 

Hi BB addicts,

Desesperatly looking for mint BB1024 or 2024 , i live in france, ( x model too)

Can pay or trade  with a Brand New musicman Cutlass bass (usa) or a Brand New Warwick Corvette bubinga 4 ( german pro série)

I'm very nitpicky so i'm really looking for mint, immaculate models. Very light surface scratches ok , but non dent, ding, crack please. 

And if you saw New old stock models in your local shop , let me know and i give you a commission. 

Best regards 

PS : my BB collection in pic attached

FB_IMG_1600712673581.jpg

Edited by mika77270
  • Like 5

On 14/11/2020 at 13:13, mika77270 said:

Hi BB addicts,

Desesperatly looking for mint BB1024 or 2024 , i live in france, ( x model too)

Can pay or trade  with a Brand New musicman Cutlass bass (usa) or a Brand New Warwick Corvette bubinga 4 ( german pro série)

I'm very nitpicky so i'm really looking for mint, immaculate models. Very light surface scratches ok , but non dent, ding, crack please. 

And if you saw New old stock models in your local shop , let me know and i give you a commission. 

Best regards 

FB_IMG_1600712673581.jpg

I share your love of BB's, and the 20 series are wickedly good. They come up  for sale on on Basschat fairly frequently, so watch the Basses For Sale ads and I am sure you will find a likely candidate. Otherwise, your best chance of finding a good condition used example is to buy one from a seller in Japan. 

This one was for sale recently, and it doesn't seem to be sold as of a couple of months ago. Maybe you could PM Darryl and see if the bass is still available:

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, mika77270 said:

Hi BB addicts,

Desperatly looking for mint BB1024 or 2024 , i live in france, ( x model too)

Best regards 

FB_IMG_1600712673581.jpg

That's a very nice collection you have there! Are you trying to corner the entire market in mint used BB 1024s? 😁

On 09/11/2020 at 21:48, MattiZ said:

On the other hand, the BB735A is not any better than I expected. In fact I had great expectations for it, maybe even too much. The setup was not good: some sharpish fret ends, nut so high I took it to a luthier friend for filing it down (even he made comments on the setup). The pickups are nothing special, and compared to both my BB1200S’s, the preamp sounds, well, quite generic. But: the neck has a lovely C profile, just slightly thicker with less shoulders than the BB235, exactly how I like it. 

Only played one band rehearsal with each yet. For now, I prefer the cheap BB235 - well, I’ve played it a few months already, the BB735A is brand new. Guess it takes a couple months to reach a verdict here! 

Be following closely how your experience of the 735A develops as I am definitely partly to blame for persuading you to get this! 

FWIW if my first experience of a 735A was a meh 6/10, which I put down to poor set up,  my current experience, second time around, with a really well set up and well played in bass (and for a really good price!) - thanks for all of that to @TwoStringsWouldBeEnough (although he really could have chosen a more compact Avatar name - lol!) is a really happy 9/10! I don't tend to give 10/10, so you get the idea!

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Be following closely how your experience of the 735A develops as I am definitely partly to blame for persuading you to get this! 

FWIW if my first experience of a 735A was a meh 6/10 (which I put down to poor set up) my current experience, second time around, with a really well set up and well played in bass (and for a really good price!) - thanks for all of that to @TwoStringsWouldBeEnough (although he really could have chosen a more compact Avatar name - lol!) is a really happy 9/10! (I don't tend to give 10/10, so you get the idea!).

Glad you are enjoying the bass! And you're so right about my name on here!! :D Have you added the K on the bass yet? Keep the tradition going!!

5 minutes ago, TwoStringsWouldBeEnough said:

Glad you are enjoying the bass! And you're so right about my name on here!! :D Have you added the K on the bass yet? Keep the tradition going!!

Story here is that TSWbeEnough (yup - you really do need to ask @pedto shorten that - lol!) had a K sticker on the bass, which has left a very minor blemish when he removed it. (Bet none of you could spot it from the pic I posted? 😊)

Given that it is now Al Krow's bass, he could have left it on, none of us would have been the wiser about the blemish and he could have asked me for a higher price - certainly by at least the cost of the sticker, which I've now got to go out and buy! 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

On 15/11/2020 at 14:53, Al Krow said:

FWIW if my first experience of a 735A was a meh 6/10, which I put down to poor set up,  my current experience, second time around, with a really well set up and well played in bass (and for a really good price!) - thanks for all of that to @TwoStringsWouldBeEnough (although he really could have chosen a more compact Avatar name - lol!) is a really happy 9/10! I don't tend to give 10/10, so you get the idea!

@Al Krow Well, I had pretty much decided to want a BB735A, but almost given up as it seemed they were completely unavailable. You helped me make the decision, and I’m happy I got the bass. 

I guess I was unrealistically expecting it to be the closest equivalence to a 5-string BB1200S, based on the 5-ply neck construction, the extra stabilizing neck joint system (and the Peter Hook association with the BB734A model). Well, it is not. Not even close. 

It is a good bass anyway. Had I not bought it, I’d still be gassing over it. Now, after a proper setup, two band rehearsals and several hours of playing, it already feels much better. No love at first sight (like the BB235A) but the beginning of a long friendship, probably. 

Oh, by the way, there seems to be this strange epidemic of self-duplicating BB basses. I think some of you have experienced it as well...  

• Like 1

On 19/11/2020 at 15:22, Al Krow said:

Two black BB300?! Black is definitely your favourite colour, for basses anyway! 😁

So your full collection of Yammy BBs is now what? Full family photo please! 

’83 MIJ (the new arrival) left, ’84 MIT right. Black is beautiful, though In fact I slightly prefer the BB1200S’s dark translucent green.

Both BB300’s are quite early examples (note the pot placement and body shape) but the MIJ is clearly the superior instrument. Light weight, nice neck profile, no neck dive. Just lovely. 

Full BB collection? Well: BB1200S x2, BB300 x2, BB735A, BB235. Got some of them at home, some at the studio, taking a group photo as soon as I get them all in one place. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

TWO x BB1200S!! That's just plain greedy 😂

Yes, I know. My (poor) excuse is, I almost got my ultimate dream bass (black Gibson Ripper, I’d hunted for years for one) - but was too slow. Next thing I saw after the big disappointment was this BB1200S in almost perfect condition...

27 minutes ago, hookys6stringbass said:

I'll save you the effort Al.... 3 1200s' 

Time we had a proper pic! The last one I remember of yours was a rack of headstocks! 

PS do you have a favourite of the three? 

Edited by Al Krow