Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

On 16/10/2020 at 23:38, MattiZ said:

Agreed. All your pro-BB735A arguments are valid, I used each and every one of them to convince myself that I was about to do the right thing. And yes, they work, feeling happy now. 

No shipping information yet. But I guess it will take some time, every package from GB to Finland that I’ve received during the epidemic has taken several weeks to arrive (there’s been 4 or 5 of them).

Not sure what to do with the BB235 yet. It is a nice bass, like it more every time I play it, but if the BB735 really is that much better... possibly end up keeping one at home, the other at the studio / rehearsal room. Might sell my BB300 instead as it gets no playing time at all (and its neck profile does not feel ideal, and the pickup seems quite weak, and so on). 

Remains to be seen. Anyway, looking forward to comparing the two 5-stringers extensively. Decision time comes later. Now that I remember, never completed my review of the BB235 earlier in the thread. Must do that soon!

When is your 735A arriving? 

I ended up agreeing with you that all my pro BB 735A arguments are very valid! Lol! And it's a fraction of the price of a Sandberg Panther Special whilst IMO sounding just as good! That all being the case, there really was only one course of action that I could validly take... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

When is your 735A arriving? 

I ended up agreeing with you that all my pro BB 735A arguments are very valid! Lol! And it's a fraction of the price of a Sandberg Panther Special whilst IMO sounding just as good! That all being the case, there really was only one course of action that I could validly take... 

It is already here! Delivered just six hours ago by UPS. 

But it isn’t the BassDirect one. That one had already been sold (I learned that their site is manually updated, they apologized and returned my payment promptly, so everything is fine). 

Instead, I found one at Station Music. They were very fast, took less than a week to arrive from Germany. Excellent communication too. And naturally it was their last one. 

https://www.station-musicshop.de/epages/64398533.sf/secc67440d84e/;SessionID=9150a388552f7496200d2c5a5eb42fc8?Locale=en_GB&ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F64398533%2FProducts%2F4512&ChangeAction=SaveLocale&ChangeObjectID=249657897

Only played it for half an hour at home, and yes, it feels good. It needs flats, or rather, I need them - though the factory D’Addarios feel acceptable, I only enjoy flats. More to follow after some real playing. Also the final verdict on the BB235 and some comparisons later on. 

You already got yours?

By the way, for some reason I seem to be unable to load pics at the moment.

Edited by MattiZ
Failed uploading pictures
  • Like 1

Excellent - did you manage to get it for a similarly good or possibly even better price? 

I am hopefully taking delivery of mine tomorrow morning, when I have arranged to meet the seller...I've had a slightly wicked thought of dropping the PG and just leaving the black PG screws on the satin black body, but I've not seen that done before so no idea if it will look any good!

In terms of pics - I won't need to upload a fresh one - it'll be exactly the same as I posted on March 2019. Back in Black! 😁

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Excellent - did you manage to get it for a similarly good or possibly even better price? 

I am hopefully taking delivery of mine tomorrow morning, when I have arranged to meet the seller...I've had a slightly wicked thought of dropping the PG and just leaving the black PG screws on the satin black body, but I've not seen that done before so no idea if it will look any good!

The BassDirect price was too good, but the Station Music was the cheapest of the two or three others I was able to find in Europe. With shipping & handling it cost me about 50€ more. Not too bad. 

That pickguard isn’t the prettiest thing ever, removing it might be a good idea. I’ll let you to be the trendsetter, though! 

04C96E4E-D8BD-4573-9CEA-C0D562E90318.jpeg

• Like 2

Oooh that is a sexy pic!

Mine will have had two years of being regularly played and won't be anywhere near as pristine as yours.

On the other hand it will have had free A.R.E. (Acoustic Resonance Enhancement), resulting in "outstanding tonal balance and eliminating the harsh edge common with younger guitars" which Yamaha would charge me an arm for if I had bought a BB2025 (the leg is for the I.R.A treatment). In other words it will at least have been "played in" 😁

• Haha 3

Delivered to my door two days behind MatiZ's, but this time not by UPS but by pro bassist Kelpie, whom it was my pleasure to meet today.

BB735A - quick second-time-around review

Very happy with it and a really nice weight at 4.4kg / 9.7 lbs - the same weight as my 1025 (and by coincidence also the same as my KS). Having seen it in the flesh the PG is staying on!

My first time around with a 735A, it arrived pretty new but with a set-up that the previous owner had never quite been happy with or was able to fix, including trying lighter tuners. I'd largely got it set up how I wanted but shortly afterwards bagged a played-in P35 which had the additional benefit of the I.R.A treatment and was a bass that had been set up beautifully by pro-bassist, Mark, whom I bought it off. I was never really tempted to pick the 735A up to play after that, so I moved it on. Interestingly Tyler, whom I sold it to and another of our excellent pro bassists on BC (and the third I've already mentioned in this post - blimey these BB's are clearly popular with proficient bass players!), managed to get the 735A to just how he wanted it and absolutely loved it!

The only adjustment I've made today is to lower the pup heights - Kelpie had set them quite close to the strings and then put tape over the bridge J to prevent unwanted clicks / pops when he dug in hard. I'm just going to settle for lower pup heights and turn my amp up instead!  

Sounds and feels good - lovely balance and no noticeable neck dive from its sturdily constructed 5 piece laminate maple and mahogany neck. I immediately preferred the active circuit to the passive on this, which I found less articulate / crisp - but each to their own: I know others, including EJWW in his comments a few posts above, prefer the passive tone on their 734/5As. The passive setting is still a really "nice to have" for me though: not least for peace of mind if the battery fails mid set.

The other reason for a grin on my bass-face today is that, having had GAS for an active PJ with 3 band EQ and active / passive option, that was not too heavy and had more accessible frets than I was getting from my Sire P7, this ticks all the boxes! 

I've also managed to spend < 20% I was half-thinking of forking out on an equivalently spec'd new bass (albeit with nicer woods), and the tone on this 735A easily goes to toe to toe with that high-end bass. So my wallet is feeling hugely relieved and the ulterior motive of turning this into a poor man's midi bass with an additional GK3 pup and pairing with a Boss SY-1000 can move onto the next step! 

Yamaha BB735A II.JPG

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 10

Great review and it looks amazing. I love mine. 

I also compared to higher end basses (american fenders) and I didn't think there was that huge difference that you see in the price tag. I'm not saying one is better than the other, but my 735 really feels like home. And everyone who tries one they get surprised.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys 

Got to love the love for Yamahas here!

I have a yamaha BB414 in a lovely  rasbery red. Was my first bass I could call my own. But since getting my first jazz the Yamaha was being left in the background. Once changing the strings and giving the lovely BB a clean I managed to break one of the pickup covers screw mount. I was cleaning all the gunk out from the screw head to adjust the pickup height and then the plastic broke. I'll add pictures of the broken and not broken pickup cover. As I already had my Fender Roadworn Jazz as my main player at the time I tucked the BB in its case and under the bed it went. 

Now about 6 or so years and several basses later I have an itch for P/J with rounds and I know Yamaha can scratch it for sure. I remember it being awesome for rock stuff. 

So my question to you guys: is there a place I can source new pickup covers or new original pickup for BB414/614/424? Or might you have any other alternative solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance 

IMG_20200819_100239.jpg

IMG_20200819_100251.jpg

• Like 1

On 31/10/2020 at 14:25, Al Krow said:

Delivered to my door two days behind MatiZ's, but this time not by UPS but by pro bassist Kelpie, whom it was my pleasure to meet today.

BB735A - quick second-time-around review

Very happy with it and a really nice weight at 4.4kg / 9.7 lbs - the same weight as my 1025 (and by coincidence also the same as my KS). Having seen it in the flesh the PG is staying on!  

My first time around with a 735A, it arrived pretty new but with a set-up that the previous owner had never quite been happy with or was able to fix, including trying lighter tuners. I'd largely got it set up how I wanted but shortly afterwards bagged a played-in P35 which had the additional benefit of the I.R.A treatment and was a bass that had been set up beautifully by pro-bassist, Mark, whom I bought it off. I was never really tempted to pick the 735A up to play after that, so I moved it on. Interestingly Tyler, whom I sold it to and another of our excellent pro bassists on BC (and the third I've already mentioned in this post - blimey these BB's are clearly popular with proficient bass players!), managed to get the 735A to just how he wanted it and absolutely loved it!

The only adjustment I've made today is to lower the pup heights - Kelpie had set them quite close to the strings and then put tape over the bridge J to prevent unwanted clicks / pops when he dug in hard. I'm just going to settle for lower pup heights and turn my amp up instead!  

Sounds and feels good - lovely balance and no noticeable neck dive from its sturdily constructed 5 piece laminate maple and mahogany neck. I immediately preferred the active circuit to the passive on this, which I found less articulate / crisp - but each to their own, I know others e.g. EJWW in his comments a few posts above, prefers the passive tone on his 734A. The passive setting is still a really "nice to have" for me though: not least for peace of mind if the battery fails mid set.

The other reason for a grin on my bass-face today is that, having had GAS for an active PJ with 3 band EQ and active / passive option, that was not too heavy and had more accessible frets than I was getting from my Sire P7, this ticks all the boxes and I've managed to spend < 20% I was half-thinking of forking out on an equivalently spec'd new bass (albeit with nicer woods), and the tone on this 735A easily goes to toe to toe with that high-end bass. So my wallet is also feeling hugely relieved and the ulterior motive of turning this into a poor man's midi bass with an additional GK3 pup and pairing with a Boss SY-1000 can move onto the next step! 

Yamaha BB735A II.JPG

Nice review, I’ve been looking at these as my entree to the fiver world.

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Nice review, I’ve been looking at these as my entree to the fiver world.

Thanks Lozz. I know I'm biased, but I think you could like it a lot!

If you scroll a page or so back (to Oct 24th), I posted a tone comparison of the 735A vs a quality Sandberg, plus a YT clip of a 735A in the mix, which will give you good idea of how it sounds. All three YT clips were uploaded by our fellow BC'ers and, by coincidence, feature both my previous and current 735As!

My only caveat is that the Yammy PJ 5er has it's own tone and feel, including a very playable neck. I love the Yammy tone and fantastic build quality, but it isn't a clone of a Fender P, which I know you're a big fan of. I personally think the Sire P7 comes closer to a Fender P, both in appearance and sound, and the Sire P7 Mk2, which I had, is also a great-value bass and is comfortably lighter than its predecessor Sire P7 Mk1.

Edited by Al Krow

Funnily enough I’m playing my Jazz more and more lately, so not too fussed about it not matching a a Precision exactly. I’m also considering the 435 as not really sure I need actives, though the better quality of the 735 is what’s leading the way at present.

On 30/10/2020 at 00:03, MattiZ said:

...More to follow after some real playing. Also the final verdict on the BB235 and some comparisons later on. 

By the way, for some reason I seem to be unable to load pics at the moment.

So is is it a noticeable step up from the BB 235 then?!

On the pic uploading front - it's possible you may have used up your 488 MB limit. See "My Attachments" when you scroll down from your Avatar name on the top right of the screen. If so you will need to delete a few of your no longer relevant / older attachments to free up some space.

Anyone still after a BB414? This one, which looks like it's in reasonable condition, is currently on eBay for £80 posted with 3 days left on the auction. Suspect it won't end up at the price though, otherwise it will be this year's Yammy bargain!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB414-Bass-with-Ritter-Gigbag/293807745758?hash=item44684e6ade:g:4roAAOSwRkNfnITd

On 26/10/2020 at 08:47, EJWW said:

Near perfect when the P pickup is solo'd.

I did briefly own a 1025X but I didn't get on with the neck. In my view it compared unfavourably to my mid '90s TRB5 which is a completely different animal of course. 

I would like to try a BB414 at some point however, I don't know what the necks are like on them but I prefer the pickup switch to the blend knob.

I see you’re only in Brum. If you fancy meeting up, post lockdown and you can try my BB414

On 07/11/2020 at 11:31, Al Krow said:

Anyone still after a BB414? This one, which looks like it's in reasonable condition, is currently on eBay for £80 posted with 3 days left on the auction. Suspect it won't end up at the price though, otherwise it will be this year's Yammy bargain!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB414-Bass-with-Ritter-Gigbag/293807745758?hash=item44684e6ade:g:4roAAOSwRkNfnITd

Blimey - they'd have been better off buying one on BC! 

10 bidders and still a full day to go - clearly still a VERY popular model (as also demonstrated across this thread!)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, crabman said:

Yeah, I ducked out a long time ago.

Mainly as I've just bought a second hand Sadowsky NYC and thought I might be in real and physical danger from the wife if I'd actually won the auction!

Lol!

I'm imagining the scene now...

"Ok, go on then, play me both basses...No I really can't hear any difference between them at all, other than that the shiny black one sounds louder...No I don't understand what ballsy Yammy pups are...and what do you mean that one of them cost FIVE times as much as the other?! Oooh er that expensive one has a pointy shaped head doesn't it, a bit like a Sire you said? Is that a horse?" 

😁

• Haha 1

On 06/11/2020 at 17:46, Al Krow said:

So is is it a noticeable step up from the BB 235 then?!

I wish there was an obvious answer to that question.

The BB235 was much better than expected. It had really good setup, and with Rotosound Monel Flats is a joy to play. The cheap ceramic PU’s are loud, clear and well balanced. Just one thing: the neck has too much of a D profile, I never liked those that much.

On the other hand, the BB735A is not any better than I expected. In fact I had great expectations for it, maybe even too much. The setup was not good: some sharpish fret ends, nut so high I took it to a luthier friend for filing it down (even he made comments on the setup). The pickups are nothing special, and compared to both my BB1200S’s, the preamp sounds, well, quite generic. But: the neck has a lovely C profile, just slightly thicker with less shoulders than the BB235, exactly how I like it. 

Only played one band rehearsal with each yet. For now, I prefer the cheap BB235 - well, I’ve played it a few months already, the BB735A is brand new. Guess it takes a couple months to reach a verdict here! 

• Like 1

@MattiZ - that's really interesting and always good to hear the unvarnished views of fellow BC'ers - IMO so much more useful than "wow this is amazing!" to two months later "it doesn't quite meet what I was looking for tonally / feel / etc and I've decided to sell it" that we can often get 😁

It does go to show what a big difference bass set up can make - the experience with the two 735As I've had (the first was disappointing and the current one so far very good) definitely has some parallels to what you are saying as I touched on in my Oct 31 "Quick review". 

• Like 1