Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Guest Corto14
3 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

How about a burst one? Under £400 for 1024, surely you won't get a better bass for that money? 

Screenshot_20201013-165000.png

If I'd live in UK I would have bought immediately 
love this bass without the pickguard

11 hours ago, marleaux62 said:

Just bought this yesterday 

Congrats!! Did it come with that hard case in the price? If so you got a bargain and a great looking bass at the same time. You had a chance to put it through its paces yet? First impressions?

14 hours ago, marleaux62 said:

A friend of mine has just bought a new bb734 in dark gray he said it's probably the best Yamaha he's ever played. I think he's had around 4 or five Yamaha basses over the years I can't wait to have a go of it really fancy one myself.

You've really got the Yammy bug bad haven't you? Only had your lovely 1024 for 5 mins and you're already after a 734! 😂 

Remind me, was the 1024 your first Yammy or do you have other models as well? 

You've gone for some quality Yammys then!

I've included in the "wall of shame" on the OP - amusingly the Yammy bass owners with names / avatars beginning with "M" are far and away the most common. Not sure what that says about anything! 😁 

On 12/10/2020 at 16:42, Al Krow said:

Just clicked on a couple of Yammy 735As and was gobsmacked by their current new retail prices! 

Actually there is one place still selling them at the old prices...Bass Direct (£749), but a couple of retailers were in the £850 ball park and the Yammy store in London has it on for an eye watering £934!

Bass Direct have just dropped their price to £729 shipped for a 735A and given that these basses seem to hold their value pretty well (as can be seen from 414/5, 424/5 and 1024/5 used prices), I'm really tempted to get a new replacement one for the used one I sold a while back (apparently because I was holding onto my P35, or so I thought!).

Lot more convenient for me in terms of follow up servicing / warranty issues to get from the Yammy store in London, and they have confirmed they are willing to match the best online prices - so that's a point worth bearing in mind.

So I just need to decide on satin black or coffee sunburst now then - decisions, decisions haha! I'm guessing you lot would split fairly evenly between the two options? 

Yamaha BB735A.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I'd say the sunburst is a better fit for your retro bands, the matte black more at home with a rock / metal band, but get whatever floats your boat!

I thought it would be a slam dunk for the matt black - particularly with ALL Series 3 headstocks (including on the P34/5s!) being black, but the black headstock doesn't feel too out of place with the burst either.

Guest Corto14

I say matte black; very elegant and “original” than the sunburst. 
Also love the blue stripe along the body which testify the attention to detail that Yamaha puts on this line of basses 

26 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

Wow this is a mega thread! I am waiting on a newly ordered BBNE2, in white of course. 

I haven't gone through all 171 pages to see if this bass has been discussed! Its a great sounding bass with superb build quality. I should get it just before xmas!

May have been mentioned a couple of times 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Chopthebass I hope yours has got black hardware and not the trashy gold hardware that this one has - otherwise you're likely to come in for a fair bit of abuse from ancient Egyptian admiring types on this forum 😁 

Check out P13 / 14 of the thread for some NE2 chat and I posted a short review of it on 13th March 2018 (P13).

And congratulations!! Dunno what other basses you currently have, but the NE2 is an absolute corker!

Yamaha Whites.jpg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

Wow this is a mega thread! I am waiting on a newly ordered BBNE2, in white of course. 

I haven't gone through all 171 pages to see if this bass has been discussed! Its a great sounding bass with superb build quality. I should get it just before xmas!

Not jealous at all

#lying

Edited by MoJo

On 15/10/2020 at 12:49, Al Krow said:

Bass Direct have just dropped their price to £729 shipped for a 735A and given that these basses seem to hold their value pretty well (as can be seen from 414/5, 424/5 and 1024/5 used prices), I'm really tempted to get a new replacement one for the used one I sold a while back (apparently because I was holding onto my P35, or so I thought!).

Lot more convenient for me in terms of follow up servicing / warranty issues to get from the Yammy store in London, and they have confirmed they are willing to match the best online prices - so that's a point worth bearing in mind.

So I just need to decide on satin black or coffee sunburst now then - decisions, decisions haha! I'm guessing you lot would split fairly evenly between the two options? 

Yamaha BB735A.jpg

Sunburst for me