Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Guest Corto14

Heavier than your bb1025? 
I thought that the new series was lighter than the older one.

Don’t have weight my bbp34, but it doesn’t feel heavy at all...maybe is because I’m used to the trb 😆

14 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Heavier than your bb1025? 
I thought that the new series was lighter than the older one.

Don’t have weight my bbp34, but it doesn’t feel heavy at all...maybe is because I’m used to the trb 😆

Yup. My 1025 is 4.4kg / 9.7 lbs and the P35 was 4.6kg / 10.1 lbs, not a massive difference I know, but over a 2 hour gig the 1025 edged it in terms of comfort for me.

But if you can comfortably manage a TRB 5Pii, then everything else will seem like helium 😁

And bear in mind also the P34 will be a little lighter than the P35.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Nice rig! What's the amp. 

I'm not surprised you're loving the BB1025 - mine has outlasted two 425s, a 735A and even a P35!

The P35 was definitely a slightly nicer, more refined, bass, but my particular one was unfortunately just a little too heavy for me and also a little too heavy for both the original owner and the person I sold it on to! But all three of us loved the tone and quality. 

The amp is the Bergantino Forte HP. 

On 26/09/2020 at 19:02, Al Krow said:

I think there is often a "cancelling" effect when both pups are engaged equally. It results in a sweet slight mid scoop on my Ibby JJ, which actually is quite attractive.

On the older series like my BB 1025, however, the mid switch position combining the P+J adds bridge J grit to the P and is the default setting for many of us. 

Be interested to hear from other 734A users if they are getting the same result as you with both pups set at 50:50.

Thank you Al for your answer and sorry for the (very) late reply...

It turned out my BB734A was defective. The difference in volume between the first two strings and the last two when both PU were on was simply too much. I sent it back to the shop that recognized the problem and gave me a full refund, which I immediately invested in buying exactly the same bass from a different shop. This one works perfectly. When both PU are on there is only a slight decrease in volume in respect to having only the P pickup on, but the balance between the strings is perfect and the tone is simply amazing. I guess I could say, in your words, that I get the P tone with some added grit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stefanos80 said:

Thank you Al for your answer and sorry for the (very) late reply...

It turned out my BB734A was defective. The difference in volume between the first two strings and the last two when both PU were on was simply too much. I sent it back to the shop that recognized the problem and gave me a full refund, which I immediately invested in buying exactly the same bass from a different shop. This one works perfectly. When both PU are on there is only a slight decrease in volume in respect to having only the P pickup on, but the balance between the strings is perfect and the tone is simply amazing. I guess I could say, in your words, that I get the P tone with some added grit.

Really pleased you managed to get it sorted and that you're loving the bass! 

Clearly you were unlucky to be in 2.5% to 5% failure rate that someone else on another thread mentioned was an electronics industry accepted rate of failure. But that figure may be hearsay, so don't necessarily take it as gospel! 

Btw you could probably entirely eliminate the volume drop on switching pups, in your case by either slightly lowering the P pup height or slightly raising the J pup height - but I'm sure you're very familiar with doing that already. 

Edited by Al Krow

Hey BB fans! A friend of mines has made me aware that there is a BB for sale locally.. I don’t need another bass but I’m still kinda interested🤫

I wanted to know if any of you guys can tell me it’s value and if it’s any good!

It’s serial number is knin085

And my mate was told by the guy that is was made in Japan 1984.

any info would be appreciated 👌 (give me a reason to buy it 😂)

8A32A892-B190-42CC-806B-871521F84DB1.jpeg

So it came up on Facebook memories today that I got my BB615 10 years ago this weekend. Many basses have come and gone in that time but this one has stayed. It has seen countless gigs, travelled all over the UK, recorded 5 albums, it still sounds incredible (thanks to swapping the original pre to an obp3 which got rid of a weird high pitched resonance) and while not necessarily my go to now for gigs (that's is now the trbx605) it's always prime choice for any recording work.

Not too shabby for a bass that cost £299 new

Here's to the next 10 years with it! 

FB_IMG_1602259792163.jpg

FB_IMG_1602259641861.jpg

FB_IMG_1602258026281.jpg

FB_IMG_1602260234328.jpg

• Like 7

I suppose the next question is, is it worth swapping the pickups out for bb2025 pickups? 🤔

I did enquire about the parts once but the diagram they sent out for confirmation was not very clear and they didn't respond when I asked for further clarification 

Interesting thought. I think the previous discussion on this thread about upgrading the BB615 focussed on the preamp - if I recall correctly someone said they had replaced with an Aguilar OBP-3 with good results.

After the sterling service it's given you, it (and you!) does deserve some treating :) 

Yeah it was this bass that had the pre changed for the aguilar, it couldn't hurt to try it with a pickup upgrade while keeping it very much a BB by using BB pickups

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Interesting thought. I think the previous discussion on this thread about upgrading the BB615 focussed on the preamp - if I recall correctly someone said they had replaced with an Aguilar OBP-3 with good results.

After the sterling service it's given you, it (and you!) does deserve some treating :) 

2 hours ago, MDWagstaff said:

Yeah it was this bass that had the pre changed for the aguilar, it couldn't hurt to try it with a pickup upgrade while keeping it very much a BB by using BB pickups

Someone more knowledgeable than me on the topic will no doubt be along in a minute, but I didn't think that the 2025 pups were any different to the 1025? IIRC key differences between the 1025 and 2025 are that the 2025 has the following "extras":

- sonic wood treatment to naturally age the wood fibres to give it a played-in feel from the off;

- (??) neck or fretboard oil and fret finishing;

- Japan rather than Indonesia

But I thought the actual components and woods were otherwise identical.