Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Classic stack is noise cancelling, don’t know if they’ve discontinued it. But if they haven’t - I can guarantee they’re silent

On checking the Seymour Duncan website I notice the Classic stack on page 1 and you are correct sir, they are noiseless.  I did like the short clip (with SVT cab sim) and I'm tempted.  Do you have them in a Jazz? Or did you just swap the bridge pup out of a BB or another PJ?

5 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

On checking the Seymour Duncan website I notice the Classic stack on page 1 and you are correct sir, they are noiseless.  I did like the short clip (with SVT cab sim) and I'm tempted.  Do you have them in a Jazz? Or did you just swap the bridge pup out of a BB or another PJ?

They’re in my fretless and fretted passive J’s, fantastic pickups.

My bb is a 414 and I don’t mind any single coil noise as the bass sounds Brilliant as it is - also the pickup isn’t a standard shape like the more recent BB’s

• Like 1

Guest Corto14

Yesterday arrived my new bbp34

oh boy, what a bass 🤯

She plays by herself 

pics soon

first thing I noticed: perfectly  balanced.

Edited by Corto14

Guest Corto14

I didn’t know the word “shabby”, so thanks for this either @Al Krow 😀

it’s really a great bass, I must say it’s MY type of bass. Very lucky to have one and I recommend to everyone 

On 20/09/2020 at 12:43, javi_bassist said:

So today I tried the DR Pure Blues on my BB735 to replace the Dunlop Super Brights. So far, I prefer the DR B string, but it's hard to defeat the Super brights on the other 4 strings. My search still continues. I will try Daddario NYXL next. I'm also thinking about getting a Super Bright 6 string set to get the 130 gauge. 

My BB435, that i bought used mint, came with DR Low Riders 045-125. I liked them...

• Like 1

Guest Corto14

I have a trb 5pII and it’s a beast. The fingerboard is butter and the low B is huge.

if you can, save a little bit more and try to find an old Japanese trb, imho they are a little bit better than the new series.

9 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

I have a trb 5pII and it’s a beast. The fingerboard is butter and the low B is huge.

if you can, save a little bit more and try to find an old Japanese trb, imho they are a little bit better than the new series.

They have a great reputation as one of the very best of the Yammy range, although on the heavy side.

How much does yours weigh?

Guest Corto14

Speaking of bb, may I ask you which type of string would you recommend?

I have to say that I’m pretty happy with the stock ones, D’Addario exl 170, but maybe there are others worth a try. 
I also considered a set of flatwounds, specifically the chromes.

opinions? 

58 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

I didn’t weigh yet, but I think at least 4,5kg.

very balanced though 

4.5kg = 10 lbs would be completely fine for me, but I'm guessing it's actually going to be nearer to 5kg?

53 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

Thanks! I will look for one

Haha - good luck with that. They are a rare and special beast! (Other than their weight).

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Nice rig! What's the amp. 

I'm not surprised you're loving the BB1025 - mine has outlasted two 425s, a 735A and even a P35!

The P35 was definitely a slightly nicer, more refined, bass, but my particular one was unfortunately just a little too heavy for me and also a little too heavy for both the original owner and the person I sold it on to! But all three of us loved the tone and quality.