Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Hello BB lovers

I would like to have your opinion and experience.

I want a passive 5 string bass and my focus are 2 BB models

- BB425

- BB435 

Which of this models have the most "genuine" BB sound and feeling? 

Which one has the best B string?

Thanks 

Edited by acroxixo

42 minutes ago, acroxixo said:

Hello BB lovers

I would like to have your opinion and experience.

I want a passive 5 string bass and my focus are 2 BB models

- BB425

- BB435 

Which of this models have the most "genuine" BB sound and feeling? 

Which one has the best B string?

Thanks 

As a newcomer to the BB range. I've had a new 435 which is according to Yamaha blurb fitted with XL170SL nickel strings. I personally didn't like the sound and the "B" felt like a rubber band. I am used to a 35" scale  bass which even though fitted at the mo with a 125 Mark Bass string is a lot tighter. I sent the 435 back but then purchased a secondhand 425. I changed the strings on it to a set of D'Addario XL 135. The 135 "B" is a lot better than the 130 supplied with the XL 130 set on the 435.

The tone of the 425 is also different to the 435 and in my opinion better. But unfortunately the tone is always relevant to the owner. Ceramic PU's as against Alnico on the 435. The 425 just seems a bit more edgy but still has a fat low end.

If weight is important the 435 is the lighter. Those with more experience of the BB range will surely throw another spanner in the works. My 425 is a keeper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I found a ex demo bbp34 in midnight blue. It should be in mint condition ‘cause it was an exposition model, never played by anyone .

cannot wait to receive it 🤩

NBD, yesterday.

I bought this beauty from @playbass.  A Yamaha BB434

IMG_0077.thumb.jpeg.875d6c6fd3b6cdae56df4cdc1823e3eb.jpeg

I spent a couple of hours practising with it this morning and used in our regular Friday afternoon rehearsal session.

I've read loads of comments about BBs in this thread and others, and I found my experience of the bass is similar to many others.  This is what I have noticed so far.

Sustain! A note will ring and ring and ring on for ever.  Muting is necessary with the BB where with other basses the note will die out after a bar or two by itself. Is this due to having the strings through the body?  My other basses are all strung at the bridge.

I've read that the J pup at the bridge is weak.  Not really.  It is weak compared to the split coil neck pup but not necessarily to other single coil J pups.  I will have to do a comparison with my Jazz bass.

The sound of the bridge pup is typically single coil at the bridge pup, and it gives that burpy Jaco sound.

The split coil neck pup is what you would expect of a split coil in the same position as a precision bass.  It is similar to a precision bass sound.  The neck pup either alone or with the bridge pup sounds great.  It is quite hot for a passive pick up and is hotter than the bridge pup, as I mentioned above.

The neck seems not have been treated with oil or lacquer or anything but I'm sure it has.

It's a good size and weight.  Not heavy but not too light that it feels like a toy.  This is my preference, I really don't like basses to be too light.  

Overall, this is a great all round bass, which I think will be very useful in my covers band.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kevin B said:

I have a BB3000s and just got a BB2000, nor sure I like the selector switch on the 2000 and prefer the sweet spot ( neck pup 100%  bridge pup 85%) with the VVT on the 3000. has anyone put a vvt set up on a 2000 and do you have a schematic?

Just get @KiOgon to make you a VVT loom - then You can keep the original wiring in the case should you ever sell.

So today I tried the DR Pure Blues on my BB735 to replace the Dunlop Super Brights. So far, I prefer the DR B string, but it's hard to defeat the Super brights on the other 4 strings. My search still continues. I will try Daddario NYXL next. I'm also thinking about getting a Super Bright 6 string set to get the 130 gauge. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, javi_bassist said:

So today I tried the DR Pure Blues on my BB735 to replace the Dunlop Super Brights. So far, I prefer the DR B string, but it's hard to defeat the Super brights on the other 4 strings. My search still continues. I will try Daddario NYXL next. I'm also thinking about getting a Super Bright 6 string set to get the 130 gauge. 

Since there's a discussion elsewhere about it. Why don't you mix the strings? DR B string and then use Super Brights for the other 4? 

23 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Since there's a discussion elsewhere about it. Why don't you mix the strings? DR B string and then use Super Brights for the other 4? 

It's a good idea. However, my main problem is to find a B string other than Daddario XL or Elixir. I'm still investigating shops in my area but it's being a difficult task. 

Just put the VVT into the bb2000 love the tone I get from the reverse precision pup when neck is 85% and bridge 100% the exact opposite of my bb3000 which is 100% neck and 85% bridge. This must be due to the reverse designed split coil. The bb2000 really bites at this setting it felt a bit clinical; with the switch which gives 100% blend of each pick up the VVT allows fine tuning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin B said:

Just put the VVT into the bb2000 love the tone I get from the reverse precision pup when neck is 85% and bridge 100% the exact opposite of my bb3000 which is 100% neck and 85% bridge. This must be due to the reverse designed split coil. The bb2000 really bites at this setting it felt a bit clinical; with the switch which gives 100% blend of each pick up the VVT allows fine tuning.

Some pics + sound clip, would be great! 

I just got a new BB734A and I fear there might a problem with it.
When the pickup balance is in the middle position I experience a volume drop and the sound of E and A string becomes much "thinner". As soon as I move a bit (clockwise or counterclockwise) the volume increases and the volume balance between the four strings becomes good. Is this behaviour normal? Anyone experiencing the same? Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

On 24/09/2020 at 18:07, stefanos80 said:

I just got a new BB734A and I fear there might a problem with it.
When the pickup balance is in the middle position I experience a volume drop and the sound of E and A string becomes much "thinner". As soon as I move a bit (clockwise or counterclockwise) the volume increases and the volume balance between the four strings becomes good. Is this behaviour normal? Anyone experiencing the same? Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

I think there is often a "cancelling" effect when both pups are engaged equally. It results in a sweet slight mid scoop on my Ibby JJ, which actually is quite attractive.

On the older series like my BB 1025, however, the mid switch position combining the P+J adds bridge J grit to the P and is the default setting for many of us. 

Be interested to hear from other 734A users if they are getting the same result as you with both pups set at 50:50.

Edited by Al Krow

Has anyone swapped out the bridge pup for a noise cancelling single coil?  I really love the tone of the bridge pup on my BB434 soloed but I then have to put up with the hum, which I really don't like.  I am thinking of getting a single coil shaped noiseless pup but don't want a change in tone.  I've listened to one by Seymour Duncan online, its near but not quite, at least that's what my ears tell me.  Anyone done this?

4 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Has anyone swapped out the bridge pup for a noise cancelling single coil?  I really love the tone of the bridge pup on my BB434 soloed but I then have to put up with the hum, which I really don't like.  I am thinking of getting a single coil shaped noiseless pup but don't want a change in tone.  I've listened to one by Seymour Duncan online, its near but not quite, at least that's what my ears tell me.  Anyone done this?

The classic stacks Duncan do are ace.  Have 2 basses with these in and I love them.

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The classic stacks Duncan do are ace.  Have 2 basses with these in and I love them.

I'm after a noise cancelling pup.  From their website, it appears they only have 2 noise cancelling pups, the 'Apollo' and the 'Hot Stack'. would you have either of these?

15 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

I'm after a noise cancelling pup.  From their website, it appears they only have 2 noise cancelling pups, the 'Apollo' and the 'Hot Stack'. would you have either of these?

Classic stack is noise cancelling, don’t know if they’ve discontinued it. But if they haven’t - I can guarantee they’re silent

• Thanks 1