Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

6 hours ago, Fil1ip said:

What strings do people use on their BBs.

Mine has come with flat wounds but I think I prefer my Rotosounds roundwound on my cheap P bass (I think I prefer the feel). I have always used Rotosounds but I hear mixed reviews! 

Rotosound 66 Swing Bass or Fender 7250

8 hours ago, Fil1ip said:

Mine has come with flat wounds but I think I prefer my Rotosounds roundwound on my cheap P bass (I think I prefer the feel). I have always used Rotosounds but I hear mixed reviews! 

Flats on both my BB1200S’s and BB235. One BB1200S has EMG PJ set installed (but that is about to change, now that I got an original BB1100S PJ set). That one has EB Cobalt flats. The other one, all original, has Rotosound Monel flats. The BB235 has Dunlop flats. Only my BB300 has roundwounds, Pyramids or Rotosounds, can’t really remember. 

With the BB1200S preamps, flats are just fantastic. I can dial in any tone I want, with no finger squeaks, but as much treble and high mids I could ever need. Deep, clean, clear, bright, scooped, mushy, distorted with massive lows, anything. 

The Dunlop 5-string set on the BB235 is also quite nice: slightly lower tension than EBs or Rotos, but smooth and well balanced. 

All sets are 45-105 (+ 125).

• Thanks 1

I use Roto 66s on my BB734 here, the stainless steel ones. I actually go for a gauge up from standard size, so 50-110, since I prefer the thicker, tighter feel. I also sometimes tune down to Eb (or very occasionally D standard, don't tell the man who set up this bass!). 

18 hours ago, Fil1ip said:

Dunlop Super Bright nickels on both: my 734 and 735. But I'm experimenting because I'm not 100% convinced by the .125 5th string. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I found the B too floppy on the Super Brights. Currently have some NYXLs with a tapered B string fitted and like them very much! I might try a few more sets outs but can see myself sticking with these.

I will try the NYXL next. I tried a friend's Fender 5 string Jazz bass with the NYXL and it sounded awesome. I love the Dunlop 4 string set, but the 5th is not that great.

I have also a set of DR Pure Blues to try.

Edited by javi_bassist
  • Like 1

I have to comment something about my Yammys that I find odd. I have been playing my 5 strings as my main bass for a year or so, playing my Fender Jazz bass from time to time. The action in my BB735 is really low and I love it. I'm in love with this bass. However, today I picked up my 734 and I felt that the strings were a lot higher, so I did a set up. But the strings cannot be lowered since the saddles at the bridge are in their lowest position. The settings on my 735 are (in mm from the 5th to the 1st string) 3-2.5-2-2-1.5. While the strings on my 734 are 2.6-2.5-2.5-2.5. And they are at their lowest position. The 1st string bothers me (I can live with the rest). I know that the settings on my 735 are really low, but since the 734 is essentially the same, I thought I can get more or less the same. But that 1st string... Do you experience anything like this? I'm not the first owner of the 734 and I'm concerned it has some issue.

• Confused 1

What's the 1st string, E or G?!

If E, you can try a tapered set. Using a tapered B dropped the height considerably for me, I need to adjust it but so far have been really enjoying the grindy sound it produces due to the fret buzz so might have to lower the others to suit!

10 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

What's the 1st string, E or G?!

If E, you can try a tapered set. Using a tapered B dropped the height considerably for me, I need to adjust it but so far have been really enjoying the grindy sound it produces due to the fret buzz so might have to lower the others to suit!

1st string G. It's too high I think. The E string doesn't bother me for being a little bit higher than what I'm used to.

20 hours ago, javi_bassist said:

I have to comment something about my Yammys that I find odd. I have been playing my 5 strings as my main bass for a year or so, playing my Fender Jazz bass from time to time. The action in my BB735 is really low and I love it. I'm in love with this bass. However, today I picked up my 734 and I felt that the strings were a lot higher, so I did a set up. But the strings cannot be lowered since the saddles at the bridge are in their lowest position. The settings on my 735 are (in mm from the 5th to the 1st string) 3-2.5-2-2-1.5. While the strings on my 734 are 2.6-2.5-2.5-2.5. And they are at their lowest position. The 1st string bothers me (I can live with the rest). I know that the settings on my 735 are really low, but since the 734 is essentially the same, I thought I can get more or less the same. But that 1st string... Do you experience anything like this? I'm not the first owner of the 734 and I'm concerned it has some issue.

Daft question but did you check neck relief? 

Edited by andy67

On 01/09/2020 at 13:48, Fil1ip said:

A lot  depends on which BB you have, and what kind of a sound and  feel  you like. Different brands of the same gauge can feel very different in terms of tension. Round core DR's like Hi-Beams  or Sunbeams feel a lot more elastic than D'Addario XL,  for example.

I love the sound of Rotosound RS66 Swing Bass, but they tend to lose their lovely bright, aggressive tone pretty quickly. Once they go dull, they sound pretty average. They also have a very rough feel to them under your fingers( and on your frets). That roughness doesn't bother me, but some players find it uncomfortable.  Elites Stainless Steel are a pretty good alternative if you want a bright tone and they seem to stay bright a bit longer than Rotosound.

Edited by Misdee
  • Thanks 1

On 07/09/2020 at 11:56, BassApprentice said:

Anyone looking for a BB5000a? Has an odd tuning peg but seems a decent price for what will be a great bass! 

Screenshot_20200907-115511.png

Did I have a good long look at that, thinking about converting it to a four string? Mayyybeeeeee... 😕😁