Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

@MattiZ, thanks for sharing that. Unusual to see anything but Yammy pups on a Yammy bass - I think they really are the core of the Yammy BB sound, and I'd associate EMGs much more with Spector.

If you get a wanted ad up, you might strike lucky with sourcing some Yammy pups. If you were to get the bass refinished (which I suspect would turn it into a valuable looker), would you get it done in the same colour? 

@Al Krow, as it seems, I guess I’ll find out quite soon how the Yamaha pickups sound! I will probably only need a new reverse P pickup frame made, and new (preferably old)  volume and tone pot knobs (those chickenheads are terrible in use), that’s all.

I’d already asked a luthier friend for an estimate for full refinish (with necessary woodwork, if I decide to remove the J pickup) and, well, let’s say it would become quite an expensive looker if I did that. The job would cost about 2x the price I paid for the bass itself. Plus the decal, plus cost of any surprises. Probably a partial refinish then, if I decide to go with just the P. Anyway, green it is, and will be, I really like the deep and dark colour that often looks almost black.

Somehow I feel that those scratches and marks are a part of the instrument’s personality and history, better let it show than hide it. But we’ll see. It is not time for decisions yet. 

13 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Well guess what I happen to have kicking about :D

The pickups are from a Jap BB 1100s and even though the P pickup is the usual way round, I`m sure putting it on the other way would work. Might need to extend the wire? I`m selling Matti the tuners so I will send him a pm. 

Now, this is really getting very  interesting! Pm’d.

1 hour ago, MattiZ said:

Somehow I feel that those scratches and marks are a part of the instrument’s personality and history, better let it show than hide it. But we’ll see. It is not time for decisions yet. 

Plenty of folk are willing to pay extra for the "mojo" of a road worn look!

1 hour ago, MattiZ said:

Now, this is really getting very  interesting! Pm’d.

Great to see this BB community coming into play in this fashion!

• Like 1

Whilst looking out the parts for Matti, I found the 1100s neck plate which is very clean and shiny. If it is any good to anyone pm me your details and I will post it out to you.

After checking the P pickup, the surround wont fit but if Matti can un solder the pickups then he can turn them round and re solder them and Bobs yer funny auntie.

• Like 2

On 08/08/2020 at 13:51, Al Krow said:

Plenty of folk are willing to pay extra for the "mojo" of a road worn look!

Great to see this BB community coming into play in this fashion!

Yes, so it seems. But there is a difference between, say, a vintage Fender with a weathered and cracked, nicely aged nitro finish, and a more modern Yamaha with polysomething on it. The poly finish looks like cracked and scratched plastic - well, because that is pretty much what it is. There is little ”mojo” in it. 

Great indeed! I’m very happy I joined in here! 

On 08/08/2020 at 14:28, jezzaboy said:

Whilst looking out the parts for Matti, I found the 1100s neck plate which is very clean and shiny. If it is any good to anyone pm me your details and I will post it out to you.

After checking the P pickup, the surround wont fit but if Matti can un solder the pickups then he can turn them round and re solder them and Bobs yer funny auntie.

This is exciting! Can’t wait!

2 hours ago, MattiZ said:

Yes, so it seems. But there is a difference between, say, a vintage Fender with a weathered and cracked, nicely aged nitro finish, and a more modern Yamaha with polysomething on it. The poly finish looks like cracked and scratched plastic - well, because that is pretty much what it is. There is little ”mojo” in it. 

Great indeed! I’m very happy I joined in here! 

Yeah, very fair. I wonder if someone like our own @Grangur might be able to refinish it for you at a fraction of the cost of what you were quoted? And there was a BB425 refinished in white + pattern (earlier on the thread) and it looked amazing! I'll see if I can dig out the pic... 

Here you go - it won't be to everyone's taste, I appreciate, but I love it!

Yamaha BB425 - that finish!.jpg

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/08/2020 at 00:03, MattiZ said:

@Al Krow took some photos of my BB1200S for you to... enjoy. I hope.

Not much of a looker. But it plays well and sounds just fine with the active EMG P pickup. The EMG J does not seem to do much - broken, or incorrectly wired? I don’t know.

I’d really like to know how the bass would sound with just an original passive Yamaha P. Or, since it already has been routed for a bridge J, maybe install a Yamaha J (from a BB1000S for example, if I can ever find one, or basically any J pickup that would cover the hideous routing). Then, on the other hand, I’ve been thinking of getting the J hole filled and having a partial refinish. Oh well. Anybody have a reverse Yamaha P pickup for sale? Or a rev P/J pair? 

The machine heads have been changed to an old set of Schallers (of West Germany? Probably). They work just fine, but I still prefer the original heart-shaped ones. Luckily, a fine member of this Forum agreed to sell me a set, so I’m already a bit closer to getting the bass restored to its original glory!

70350FF1-E18D-41A0-BD7F-DDA1BC391F4A.jpeg

86B98E32-31B9-46AD-A19C-3AE054B2031E.jpeg

D842BFC6-298F-494B-A000-258BC5B420C1.jpeg

439F0EC8-4D73-4618-80AA-0A1C1D1A46B9.jpeg

9C34CEE7-78D3-4171-8144-DF9CD24F8C7E.jpeg

B6216FC2-4F60-4370-BCAE-50B57DEA7C81.jpeg

4CDF5ED2-B47F-487C-89C6-FFE325A848DD.jpeg

19E1BF74-BEA3-4E2F-BD85-0EDAA030801D.jpeg

That's the rarest colour you have there, keep it as is! Battle scars are cool 🤘

• Like 1

On 10/08/2020 at 07:46, miles'tone said:

That's the rarest colour you have there, keep it as is! Battle scars are cool 🤘

On 09/08/2020 at 17:49, Al Krow said:

Yeah, very fair. I wonder if someone like our own @Grangur might be able to refinish it for you at a fraction of the cost of what you were quoted? And there was a BB425 refinished in white + pattern (earlier on the thread) and it looked amazing! I'll see if I can dig out the pic... 

Here you go - it won't be to everyone's taste, I appreciate, but I love it!

Yamaha BB425 - that finish!.jpg

Thanks, it’s good to know there are options. 

That is a nice-looking bridge by the way, what is it? 

I don't know... but as long as it does not become a standard model I can life with it.  I would have preferred the "new" Yamaha BBs with standard sized pick ups AND adapted chrome rings / frames to maintain the classic BB look. Everything else I keep calling the Sandberg way 😛 JJ/ PP/M/MM/ MJ/ MP.... 
Who really needs that and wants a Yamaha look???

4 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Miki's got himself a new custom Sting.... er BB model.

Looks great to me. Would be nice if it was a lightweight production model.

I'm pretty sure this was discussed a while back when Yamaha did a live stream. Miki plays in the style of Flea and liked the active Flea signature, Yamaha wanted him to keep playing Yamaha so made him that bass as a one off. Don't see it being a production model.

• Like 1