Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The 425 is one of the ballsiest passive basses on the market. Full stop! 

Can’t argue with that. Balls of titanium lol. Just wish it was a bit lighter (not interested in doing any mods to it though). 

Edited by dave_bass5

Guest Corto14

I just sold my bb734a, best bass I’ve ever owned. After spending few months with my now one and only p bass, I’ve realized which type of instrument I like: balanced, passive and with a pj configuration 

so next stop will be a bbp34, as soon as i can sell the fender 

9 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I found my 1025 and 735A to be very close indeed tonally in passive mode. The PUP blender is a nice touch, but actually if you need to kick in the solo J pup mid song, the selector switch is hard to beat! Obvs the 734/5 has the active mode mode in addition and I guess normally you would set and forget the blender at e.g. 75% P and 25% J, which is not something you can do on the 1024/5s. I ended up sticking with my 1025, partly 'cos it was a shade lighter in weight, and on a "shallow" level I do prefer vintage white to the grim reaper matt black finish on my former 735A!

The 425 is one of the ballsiest passive basses on the market. Full stop! 

Ah that's good to know that sound similar! I'm more into changing the bridge vol blend between songs, 25%, 75% are at least positions I would use on other basses. 
Yeah I hear you :) as much as I want to like the matt black finish (as they seem to pop up here more frequently), I vastly prefer the sunburst 734A!

I'm currently thinking about swapping out my Aerodyne for a 734A. I like it, feels and sounds good, but it very often gets blown out of the water with the ballsy 1024, plus I prefer the neck of the yammy, I can move about much more with it. There's a couple of things stopping me from ordering a 734A right now:
- The D and G strings seems a underwhelming on my 1024 compared to my Aerodyne. I've tried playing with the pickup height, but they have a lot of treble and lack bottom end character. Anyone else experience that on the 424/1024? The newer series might not have that issue...?

- The neck of the newer 734 series is a little slimmer compared to the 1024. I prefer the slightly chunky neck of the 1024  (compared to the Aerodyne). Any ideas? It might well be a non-issue :) 

• Like 1

The neck on the 1025 is actually pretty flat and makes it very comfortable to play as a 5 string - it's one of the things I Iove about it, so I can't help you on that score! 

Ah the thorny and deeply significant topic of favourite colours! Haha! I used to be a fan of burst finishes, but then I started shaving (again)...vintage white for me (no idea why Yammy are limiting us to the colours that they are!). I'm afraid that #blackbassesdon'tmatter anymore for me either. Besides Andy T will be on shortly and remind us that...

Orange is the new black.jpg

😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Fil1ip said:

What's the BB VI like?

How much was a 424x when new and when did they stop making them? 

Bb vi 80’s P? Like an earlier/posher BB300

424x were about £400 new and around 3/4 years ago was the end of the line

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Thanks 1

I have an ‘84 BB3000 (black sparkle) modded with a BB2024 P p’up that has hung around for a few years now (which is quite an achievement for me!)

I’ve had 3 BB1024’s come and go, fantastic basses... I periodically convince myself I need a backup for the BB3000 when I really don’t.

Edited by woolf
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, woolf said:

I have an ‘84 BB3000 (black sparkle) modded with a BB2024 P p’up that has hung around for a few years now (which is quite an achievement for me!)

I’ve had 3 BB1024’s come and go, fantastic basses... I convince myself I need a backup for the BB3000 when I really don’t.

I want a BB3000 in metallic red or Wine Red. And a 1600 in Gunmetal Blue.

they don’t turn up often.

Ok just because...

...a thread about a particular line of basses can get 4,000 posts from a lot of different bass players 🥂:drinks:

There must be something special about them, right? :)

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I want a BB3000 in metallic red or Wine Red

There’s a red one on Reverb at the mo (In the UK). Pickup’s changed and brass surrounds missing unfortunately but still quite tempting...

6 minutes ago, woolf said:

There’s a red one on Reverb at the mo (In the UK). Pickup’s changed and brass surrounds missing unfortunately but still quite tempting...

There was on here recently and it looked great. But the serial number was sanded off. Which unfortunately means that it’s original owner is probably still looking for it.

Not casting aspersions upon the seller...but there’s a cloud over a bass like that.

• Like 1

I know this is the BB thread, but really it's the superawesomeYamaha thread, and we were talking about TRB's recently. 

Just spotted this in the FS section.... A fairly early model with the slap cutout and the 34" scale (which suits me better)...... Very tempting! 

35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So wot you got now and I'm guessing you prefer them to your Yammys (I presume!)?

I have a selection of ACGs, a couple of Spectors, a Sandberg, a vintage Fender P and an Anaconda.

My favourite of the Yamahas was actually the RBX270FL that I owned and gigged regularly for over 6 years.  It was my first fretless bass.  5ers just arn't my thing and didn't really gell will the P34 sadly as it's a lovely bass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ead said:

I have a selection of ACGs, a couple of Spectors, a Sandberg, a vintage Fender P and an Anaconda.

My favourite of the Yamahas was actually the RBX270FL that I owned and gigged regularly for over 6 years.  It was my first fretless bass.  5ers just arn't my thing and didn't really gell will the P34 sadly as it's a lovely bass.

I had an RBX270, that I got really cheap and tricked out with Dimarzio model P/J set - what a bass! It was absolutely incredible. If it wasn't for me moving to 5's exclusively, I definitely would've kept it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TRBboy said:

I had an RBX270, that I got really cheap and tricked out with Dimarzio model P/J set - what a bass! It was absolutely incredible. If it wasn't for me moving to 5's exclusively, I definitely would've kept it. 

Ditto. I picked mine up for £90 iirc. Put some DiMarzios in and a new more substantial bridge.

• Like 1