Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks - details added to the OP on page 1 of the thread.

I see you're ending up at pretty much the same place and having had the same journey as me! I'm still loving my 1025!

I always regretted selling the BB424X as it was my first bass. And I couldn't justify keeping the BBP35 as I play mainly four string.

So the BB1025X is pretty much a compromise, and happens to be the same colour as my original four string.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Mr d_b5 - methinks we should probably limit it to BBs to reflect the essence of the thread?But perhaps with the exception of the TRB P series, as they were also PJs and the fact that I've always fancied one - even more so since @TRBboy posted this link a few days' back: PJ, neck through, 24 frets, 3 band EQ but just a 2 band EQ. Actually very close my ideal bass right there, just need to drop in a 3 band EQ! 

Ah yes, i had forgotten this was a BB thread and not just general Yamaha. Totally agree about the TRBX, but not sure about the TRB. If this not a BB then.,.....?

Whatever though, i wont lose sleep over it lol. 

@CPCustomdubwise ah another elusive current BB434 owner, albeit with a maple fretboard! This list-thingy has already proved its value as you'll be able to answer @EJWW's question from the previous page:

"I'd like to know whether the volume pots affect the output throughout the whole turn as opposed to the last bit of the turn like on some basses, and also what is the weight like? I know two models are never identical but I really can't take much over 4kg."

Currently:

Customised BBN5

Previously:

BB435

BB605

BB414

BB614FL

(plus Pimped RBX270, TRB 1004, TRB 1005) 

I thought I'd had more, but then realised its because I used to work in a Yamaha dealership and played lots of different models! 😂

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

Currently:

Customised BBN5

Previously:

BB435

BB605

BB414

BB614FL

(plus Pimped RBX270, TRB 1004, TRB 1005) 

I thought I'd had more, but then realised its because I used to work in a Yamaha dealership and played lots of different models! 😂

Ooooh, just realised I had a BB605 for quite a while too! Incredible bass, but I didn't like the NE1 preamp.... Unpopular opinion, I know. 😬

Edited by TRBboy

2 hours ago, Fil1ip said:

Are you happy with the 424x ? Where are they made and how does it compare to the others 

I think the BB424X is my favourite of the lot. It strung with flat wound chromes and the first time i used them on this bass it was exactly the sound i have been hearing in my head. Tried the same strings on a precision and they dont sound as good as they do on the 424x.

Got Thomastic TI jazz flats on the BB1024X and its give the bass a bunp up the pecking order. This has a better bridge, nut, pickups and neck construction. They do sound very similar but i think the better components will hopefully give the bass a better/easier life.

The BB734 is very versatile and you can get so many good useable sounds from it. Its also lighter the 424/1024x.

The 414 has a thinner neck than the others. Is lighter than the 424/1024x. Its very punchy and sounds great for Rock covers.

Think there all made in in Indonesia but there all reslky well put together.

Overall though the 424x is my very slight favourite.

You cant go wrong with any of them.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

It's kinda interesting that the 434s don't seem to come up in discussion or in the FS as often as some of the older models e.g. the 414 or 424. Maybe because the older ones continue to be highly regarded and are that much cheaper?

Other than John, who has already replied, the only folk I know who have or had BB 434s are @Tubster and formerly @doc40hz and @jezzaboy. Hopefully one of them will be along shortly to address your queries. The other option would be to give the Yammy store in central London a call - they're pretty helpful in my experience. 

Can`t remember the bit about the volume pot, playing in a rock band the volume goes up as far as it can 👍

I don`t remember it being very heavy, I tend to remember the heavy ones. I got me from Kenn`y Music in Glasgow for the cracking price of £300 new. I gigged it that weekend then sold soon after, god knows why.

It was a lovely black one and looked a lot better once I removed that daft creamish colour scratchplate.

3 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Can`t remember the bit about the volume pot, playing in a rock band the volume goes up as far as it can 👍

I don`t remember it being very heavy, I tend to remember the heavy ones. I got me from Kenn`y Music in Glasgow for the cracking price of £300 new. I gigged it that weekend then sold soon after, god knows why.

It was a lovely black one and looked a lot better once I removed that daft creamish colour scratchplate.

I got my P34 from Kennys, also for a very good price. Never heard of them before but service was great. 

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

I got my P34 from Kennys, also for a very good price. Never heard of them before but service was great. 

They have a few shops up here but I remember asking the guy at the time why it was so cheap, I thought they might be B stock or similar but he said that Yamaha tend to use them to get rid of excess stock and they punt it out for a good price. If you are looking for something they are always worth a look.

They have some cheap Corts at the moment as well. Not that I bought one :ph34r:

• Like 2

Just now, jezzaboy said:

They have a few shops up here but I remember asking the guy at the time why it was so cheap, I thought they might be B stock or similar but he said that Yamaha tend to use them to get rid of excess stock and they punt it out for a good price. If you are looking for something they are always worth a look.

They have some cheap Corts at the moment as well. Not that I bought one :ph34r:

Oooh that's worth knowing about Kenny's being an excess stock outlet! 

Thats good to know. I was a bit weary as the price i paid was £200 less than anywhere else. The bass was perfect but ive always wondered if it was a return etc. Nice to know it wasnt. They even phoned me the next day to check i was happy with it, which i thought was fantastic CS. 

So where we are up to (posted on the OP) is:

9. CPCustomdubwise - BB434M, B415WR modded (lightweight hardware and John East giblets) (prev: BB350F, BB5Gs, BBN5)

10. TRBboy - BBN5 modded (prev:  BB414,  BB614FL, BB605, BB435)

11. Mojo - BB425, BB414  

12...please keep your Yammy herd details incoming! :) 

What's kinda interesting, just based on the responses so far, is that we mostly have the older Yammy basses, not so many of the of 2017+ Series 3 around.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

So where we are up to (posted on the OP) is:

9. CPCustomdubwise - BB434M, B415WR modded (lightweight hardware and John East giblets) (prev: BB350F, BB5Gs, BBN5)

10. TRBboy - BBN5 modded (prev:  BB414,  BB614FL, BB605, BB435)

11. Mojo - BB425, BB414  

12...please keep your Yammy herd details incoming! :) 

What's kinda interesting, just based on the responses so far, is that we mostly have the older Yammy basses, not so many of the of 2017+ Series 3 around.

The magic of the Yammy BB for me, is that ballsey blade type pickup at the bridge. I’ve not heard another bridge pickup like it and I imagine the later models don’t sound the same

58 minutes ago, MoJo said:

The magic of the Yammy BB for me, is that ballsey blade type pickup at the bridge. I’ve not heard another bridge pickup like it and I imagine the later models don’t sound the same

This is why I’m keeping my 425. As much as i loved the P34, its too close to my Fender, without really nailing the Fender P bass tone, to keep. The 425 is the only two pup bass ive owned that i can use just the bridge pup without worrying about it getting lost. I dont think pick playing helps in this situation, but the 425 has a lot of balls. 

31 minutes ago, yourfurryfiend said:

I'll join in!

I have a 1024 Sunburst :D 

I'm still debating a 734a for mainly for the pickup blender.

I found my 1025 and 735A to be very close indeed tonally in passive mode. The PUP blender is a nice touch, but actually if you need to kick in the solo J pup mid song, the selector switch is hard to beat! Obvs the 734/5 has the active mode mode in addition and I guess normally you would set and forget the blender at e.g. 75% P and 25% J, which is not something you can do on the 1024/5s. I ended up sticking with my 1025, partly 'cos it was a shade lighter in weight, and on a "shallow" level I do prefer vintage white to the grim reaper matt black finish on my former 735A!

17 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is why I’m keeping my 425. As much as i loved the P34, its too close to my Fender, without really nailing the Fender P bass tone, to keep. The 425 is the only two pup bass ive owned that i can use just the bridge pup without worrying about it getting lost. I dont think pick playing helps in this situation, but the 425 has a lot of balls. 

The 425 is one of the ballsiest passive basses on the market. Full stop! 

• Like 2