Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

Exactly that. I just don't play fives anymore, even had a quick half an hour play on it and it kept tripping my fingers up not knowing what string I'm on. Muscle memory is a strange thing. 

That's me done with selling for the decade though. I've let one a decade go for the last thirty years 😁

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Exactly that. I just don't play fives anymore, even had a quick half an hour play on it and it kept tripping my fingers up not knowing what string I'm on. Muscle memory is a strange thing. 

That's me done with selling for the decade though. I've let one a decade go for the last thirty years 😁

So none in, one a decade out? How many you got left? 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

So none in, one a decade out? How many you got left? 😉

I don't think I'm going to run out 😁

Only one Yamaha now though, but that's my never to be sold Bex4. I love that bass. 😊

Weirdly I've just realised that the only three basses I've ever sold have all been Yamahas, yet I love Yamahas. 🤔

Interesting item in the FS: I guess this is technically a "BB" albeit not a Yamaha one. But there are a number signature styling features from the body shape to the body through stringing. Fact that it's neck through and in white doesn't help on the GAS front either!

On 21/07/2020 at 09:13, TRBboy said:

Question for the group: BB300 1981 model, would it be made in Japan or made in Taiwan? I THINK ones this early were Japanese? 

Thanks

Dunno if this might help?

https://www.yamaha.com/yamahaguitars/ElectricandBassGuitarSerialNumberSystems.pdf

• Like 1

Guest Corto14

Question for the current or ex owners of the Yamaha bbp34: is the bass balance? 

Comparing my bb734a with a fender AO Precision I've found that the former is way more balance and the latter, and because of that I enjoy play the yammy a lot more. Also I've finally realized that the sound of a pj is "my sound", so I'm thinking about selling the P bass and buy the p34.

1 hour ago, Corto14 said:

Comparing my bb734a with a fender AO Precision I've found that the former is way more balance and the latter, and because of that I enjoy play the yammy a lot more. Also I've finally realized that the sound of a pj is "my sound", so I'm thinking about selling the P bass and buy the p34.

I know you're selling your P34 @dave_bass5, but I also know you always give a super honest opinion including "warts and all" when it's appropriate to do so! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corto14 said:

Do you mean tone or how it hangs?

I find its really comfortable to play standing up. Although its not the lightest bass i have it just feels right when strapped on.  Its a bit weighty, which i find helps keep the neck where it’s supposed to be, and ive never had any neck dive, not even a hint of it when not holding the neck. Its just so comfortable to play once strapped on. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

Guest Corto14

Thanks for your feedback 

yes, I mean in terms of how it hangs and weight distribution 

I’d contacted a reseller to know the availability of the p34, so I’m waiting his email. A music shop told me that Fender, Yamaha and Ibanez have no instruments in stock due to the enormous orders made after the lockdown 

10 minutes ago, Corto14 said:

Thanks for your feedback 

yes, I mean in terms of how it hangs and weight distribution 

I’d contacted a reseller to know the availability of the p34, so I’m waiting his email. A music shop told me that Fender, Yamaha and Ibanez have no instruments in stock due to the enormous orders made after the lockdown 

If you have a 734 you wont find a P34 a big update. I’d say the 734 is much better value.

Not that I’m putting the P34 down, i just dont buy in to the made in Japan superiority thing for more money these days, and the magical way they treat the wood...who can tell if its worth paying extra for. Once you’ve owned the bass for a couple of years (maybe) i doubt the advantage would still be there.

Still, its a nice simple bass that doesn’t seem to have any flaws, other than a bit in the heavy  side compared to some others. 

Guest Corto14

I agree with you, no doubt that the 734a has a better value, overall. In my modest opinion it shines over my AO precision, which cost more that twice the price.
In general, I do not see great difference even with a Sire v7, which cost 1/3.

The only reason why I wanna spend all that money is...well maybe vanity. 

Also, no problem with the weight if it’s balanced, I play sitting down so for me the balance and comfort is a key feature 

Edited by Corto14

Yeah, that makes sense. I’d say I got mine for the same reason. I don’t think I needed it but it’s not a bass that you can’t help but like. 
Only selling mine as I do love my Fender as well, and I really only use the front pup so it’s not worth keeping it. The Fender is 100% a keeper. 

14 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

I loved my 425 but at times I found the body to just be a bit big and ungainly.

I think I want a jazz - very much liking the Bass Collection offerings. If not one of them then the very obvious Sire route. 

I like my 425, but when I briefly had a 435 i noticed a few nice differences, especially the weight difference. Another one of those is all I GAS for these days. 

Edited by dave_bass5

54 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I like my 425, but when I briefly had a 435 i noticed a few nice differences, especially the weight difference. Another one of those is all I GAS for these days. 

Well that's the nice thing about Yamaha's. If I can't find a jazz I like I'll just go and get a 435. Problem solved. 

Edited by BassApprentice
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I have a feeling that once we start gigging again, I'm going to regret selling my 435.....

21 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I have a feeling that once we start gigging again, I'm going to regret selling my 435.....

Not sure if you saw my posts from a couple of months ago, but not only did i miss the one i sent back, i contacted the shop a couple of times to see if i could get it back. First time ive actively tried to get a bass back. If I hadn’t got the keyboard I’d still be chasing it. 8lbs and played like a dream. 

• Like 1

Since a lot of you guys are Yamaha experts, I want to ask you about the TRB series. I am looking for a 35" 5 string bass and, since I love my BB735, I looked at the TRB. It seems really cool, but there might be features that I will miss (active/passive switch and strings trough the body. They are not key features, but nice to have). There are not many videos/clips demoing the bass. I will try it for sure before buying, but I am also interested in your input about it. 

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

Since a lot of you guys are Yamaha experts, I want to ask you about the TRB series. I am looking for a 35" 5 string bass and, since I love my BB735, I looked at the TRB. It seems really cool, but there might be features that I will miss (active/passive switch and strings trough the body. They are not key features, but nice to have). There are not many videos/clips demoing the bass. I will try it for sure before buying, but I am also interested in your input about it. 

The TRB models are fantastic, I used to have a 1004 and 1005 which were my main basses for some time. 

You won't miss the through body stringing imho, these basses are very resonant with great attack and sustain. I believe the standard Hi-mass bridge is solid brass. 

The Yamaha Alnico humbuckers are famously awesome, and although there's no passive bypass on the preamp, it sounds great and I never missed not having a passive option. You could always change the preamp if required. 

The TRB's can be pretty weighty, so that's something to consider. 

The 1000 series are incredible instruments for the money, and clearly any of the Japanese models are a step up in quality of materials, construction and finish. 

• Like 1

@TRBboy helpful post thanks. Just picking up on your last para - with the BBs the only difference between the Japanese models (eg 2024) and eg the Indonesian (eg 1024) is the finish. Materials and construction are pretty much identical otherwise.

Is that not the same for the TRBs?